« May 2010 | Main | July 2010 »

June 30, 2010

Zoe Keating

Virtuoso cellist & avant composer Zoe Keating has a stunning new record out called Into The Trees. The album is, eerily, lush & evocative on the one hand and amazingly sparse & precise on the other. Luckily for us, she's streaming the entire thing for free, and high quality MP3s are easily purchased for the low low price of $8. Dig it.

Stream Zoe Keating's Into The Trees album

Eat Static - Nocturnal Umbra
The Fiery Furnaces - Bow Wow
The Orb - The Land Of Green Ginger

Posted by Scotto at 03:38 PM | Comments (1)

June 25, 2010

The Like

My new favorite retropop girl group is The Like, whose second album, Release Me, is a carefully crafted confection, produced by Mark Ronson and featuring members of the Dap-Kings in the mix for good measure. I could pretty much listen to this record all day. (RCRD LBL has a couple more tracks by the band if you're digging the sound.)

The Like - He's Not A Boy
The Like - Release Me

DJ Krush - Instrument
Lionrock - Fire Up The Shoesaw (Vocal Mix)
Lifesavas - It's Over

June 24, 2010

Blockhead

Blockhead - The Music Scene [via DoseNation]
from the album The Music Scene

June 23, 2010

Stina Nordenstam

Due to sheer laziness, I only recently came across the 2002 release called This Is Stina Nordenstam by - wait for it - Stina Nordenstam. I could have and probably should have tracked this down a long time ago; even 8 years or so after its release, Nordenstam's moody, quirky indie pop is still in style with me.

Stina Nordenstam - Trainsurfing
Stina Nordenstam - Lori Glory

U2 - Mysterious Ways (Massive Attack Mix)
The Bombay Dub Orchestra - Get Carter Theme
Anubian Lights - Frequency Of Sand

June 18, 2010

* Meaghan Smith - A Little Love [buy the EP]
* Portico Quartet - Line [buy the album]
* Ranger3 - Plans [preorder the single]
* Rasputina - Holocaust of Giants [buy the album]
* Gaudi - No time (feat. Dr. Israel) [buy the album]
* The Waitiki 7 - China Fan [buy the album]

Luomo - Tessio
Tori Amos - Lust
Kmotiv - One After Five

June 17, 2010

Ellen Allien

Ellen Allien returns with Dust, a new collection of sleek & mesmerizing electronica. Allien first grabbed my attention on her collaboration with Apparat, Orchestra of Bubbles; previously I'd thought of her sound as a little too minimalist for my taste, but that collaboration hinted at a pop sensibility that also seems present on Dust. Not that this is a pop record by any stretch; this is an album of grooves & texture, not hooks and hummable refrains.

Ellen Allien - Our Utopie
Ellen Allien - Schlumi

Teargas & Plateglass - An Adagio For Tandems Stacked
Alabama 3 - Cocaine (Killed My Community)
Caribou - Marino

June 15, 2010

Andreya Triana

Andreya Triana - A Town Called Obsolete
from the album Lost Where I Belong
{release date 8/23, produced by Bonobo, a Ninja Tune release)

June 14, 2010

Cibelle

The new Cibelle album, Las Venus Resort Palace Hotel, is a concept album set in a post-apocalyptic world, where her alter ego, Sonja Khalecallon and her band Los Stroboscopious Luminous perform in the last cabaret in the world. And what kind of music happens in the last cabaret in the world, you may ask? Damn fine modern exotica, as it turns out. Plus, she does a cover of Kermit the Frog's "It's Not Easy Being Green," so really, it's pretty much all win.

Cibelle - Man From Mars
Cibelle - Lightworks

Treva Whateva - Bouncing Bomb
Wu Tang Vs The Beatles - Bizarre
Barbara Morgenstern - Quality Time

June 10, 2010

Ratatat

Ratatat is back with another addictive release, the informatively named LP4. No new ground is broken with this release, but it doesn't really matter, because their signature geetar-infused electronic thump is rarely duplicated elsewhere.

Ratatat - Drugs
Ratatat - Party With Children

Apoptygma Berzerk - unicorn (kilin club remix by freezepop)
Roni Size - Watching Windows
Titiyo - Drunken Gnome

Sasquatch Music Festival 2010

Whew... finally back from vacation! Well, physically I've been back since Monday night, but mentally, I'm just now finally back from vacation!

I started my vacation off at the Sasquatch Music Festival over Memorial Day weekend, and wanted to capture a few thoughts on some of the highlights before it all fades from memory...

Saturday
I'd never heard of Brother Ali before, but I'm glad I stuck around for this Minneapolis-based rapper's high energy, high positivity set. Normally when guys shout "put your hands in the air!" and "let me hear HELL YEAH" I just kind of tune out, but by the end of the set I was both a) putting my hands directly into the air, and b) shouting HELL YEAH with great enthusiasm. Danced my ass off too... Despite constant sound problems at the tiny Yeti stage, Patrick Watson put on a lovely performance, impressing upon me the fact that sometimes a real piano on stage makes all the difference... Broken Social Scene was outstanding, and apparently their tour extends to the entire solar system, so if they swing by your neighborhood, definitely check them out... I overheard several people commenting that their expectations for Vampire Weekend were low, but the band's set was so tight, fun, and self-deprecating that they won over quite a few people. I already kind of liked this band, but seeing them live definitely increased the likelihood I'll finally track down their new record... Z-Trip put on the most epic DJ set in the history of ever.

Sunday
I'd seen Caribou before, but seeing them on the mainstage at the Gorge - even at noon on a Sunday - was thoroughly awesome. Their dense and swirling sound, built around a furious two-percussionist attack, got the crowd up on its feet right from the first track... They Might Be Giants were a welcome sight for an old-timer like me who remembers hearing the band's first album on cassette right when it came out. Their puppet interlude, the Avatars of They, seemed right at home on the giant jumbotron screens... I feel silly for not paying attention to Tegan and Sara sooner, but after seeing their set at Sasquatch, I'm sold on their clever, catchy indie pop... In case you hadn't heard, LCD Soundsystem completely owned this festival. One measure: the wings of the mainstage were completely packed with other artists from the festival crowding to see the action up close. This was one of the best sets I've seen in three years of attending this festival. Mind-blowing... Massive Attack were a mixed bag. Their "greatest hits" were awesome, and their new stuff paled by comparison. But it was lovely to hear a stripped down version of "Teardrop" with Martina Topley-Bird handling the vocals, and their performance of "Unfinished Sympathy" was a total triumph.

Monday
The Heavy kicked things off with a swank, funky set on the mainstage at noon. If they survive their current "one-hit wonder" status, they likely have a bright future... Phantogram were excellent, their two-person act a perfect fit for the Yeti stage. At one point, they joked, "Here's a song you can bounce to... although it's in 5/4, so you'll have to think about it." We didn't seem to have any problem bouncing to the entire set... Dr. Dog transcend the jam band aesthetic by busting out tight three-part harmony on a regular basis. I'm a sucker for that, no question... MGMT put on an uneven but largely entertaining set. I've had "Kids" in my head ever since the show - I have a feeling that song will linger as one of the great pop songs of the last decade.

That's it! New music starts up next post.

Yoko Kanno / Seatbelts - What Planet Is This?!?
Midwest Product - Swamp