« December 2009 | Main | February 2010 »

* Another Electronic Musician - Fields And Axioms [buy the album]
* Balmorhea - Truth (Helios Remix) [buy the album]
* Sia - You've Changed [new album out soon]
* Hollywood, Mon Amour - Footloose (feat. Cibelle) [buy the album]

Neulander - Schauspieler
Broadcast - Michael A Grammar
Black Moth Super Rainbow - Just for the Night (BMSR Remix)

January 28, 2010

Ramona Falls

Ramona Falls - I Say Fever
from the album Intuit

Vagabond Opera - Welcome to the Opera
Optiganally Yours - Poodleman
The Go! Team - milk crisis

January 27, 2010

Says She's Ms. Blat

Today brings cabaret pop from the keys & drums duo known as Says She's Ms. Blat, whose eight-song self-titled debut is available as a free download. The band's sound is surprisingly rich for such a stripped down line-up; I didn't realize at first I was only listening to two musicians, due to the high energy of the vocals and the serious thump of the arrangements. I was vaguely reminded of the Dresden Dolls ("in a good way!") but this duo has its own distinct growl that's worth checking out.

Says She's Ms. Blat - Not Sorry
Says She's Ms. Blat - Poseurs

Luscious Jackson - Why Do I Lie?
Gang Gang Dance - God's Money IX
DeVotchKa - The Last Beat of My Heart

January 26, 2010

Oh No Ono

Delightfully bizarre experimental pop today from Oh No Ono, whose sophomore release Eggs (their first record released in the States) is a psychedelic miasma that features far more hooks than you might expect.

Oh No Ono - Internet Warrior
Oh No Ono - Helplessly Young

Bonobo - The Plug
Frou Frou - The Dumbing Down Of Love
Masada String Trio - Tufiel

January 22, 2010

Jesca Hoop

Jesca Hoop released a new record last December called Hunting My Dress. It is very nearly a perfect record: an exquisite, ethereal collection of nine remarkable tracks that defy easy genre description. Hoop's vocal arrangements and compositional style are unusual and yet strangely familiar, as though this music lives in our collective subconscious and she simply and magically figured out how to express it. As a bonus, Elbow's Guy Garvey turns in a subtle guest vocal turn on one track. The album's only notable flaw is that it is perhaps too short, but leaving your fans wanting more is certainly not unheard of.

Jesca Hoop - Whispering Light
Jesca Hoop - Four Dreams

Tortoise - Prepare Your Coffin
Aesop Rock - Food, Clothes, Medicine
Roisin Murphy - Dear Diary

January 21, 2010

Clare and the Reasons

Clare and the Reasons are purveyors of delectable, sophisticated, orchestral indie pop; the band's 2009 sophomore release Arrow is clever, intricate and classy. And that's despite the rather dubious inclusion of a Phil Collins-era Genesis cover halfway through the record (where by "dubious" I mean "awesome" and "I am going to torture people with that cover at the earliest opportunity"). On their MySpace page, the band lists its genres as "Regional Mexican" and "Chinese Traditional" but THEY ARE ONLY JOKING, PEOPLE.

Clare and the Reasons - Ooh You Hurt Me So
Clare and the Reasons - All The Wine

ILS - Music (Evilnine Punk Rocks Mix)
The Helio Sequence - Looks Good (But You Looked Away)
Mnemonic Ascent - Freezer

January 20, 2010

Marina & The Diamonds

Marina & The Diamonds - I Am Not A Robot [via Flavorwire]

Komeda - New New No
Deerhoof - Hot Mint Air Balloon
The Orb - Star 6 & 7 8 9

January 19, 2010

Transient

I finally got around to listening to the early 2009 release Symphony Of Curves from ambient dub artist Transient, available as a free download, and I'm quite pleased by this "sample heavy trip into deep downtempo dimensions." If you dig deep on his web site, you'll find a hell of a lot of catalog stuff worth checking out as well; it feels like I've been following Transient for years, ever since I first learned about the concept of a "netlabel," and every time I hear this music come up on Comfort Radio, I'm always pleasantly surprised.

Transient - You And Me
Transient - Downtime
Transient - Ain't No Cure For The Way You Walk

Cibelle - Minha Neguinha
The Future Sound of London - Through Your Gills I Breathe
Bauchklang - Radio

January 15, 2010

Elbow

I might have preferred an album of new material from Elbow, but in the meantime, I'm quite happy to add Elbow's new live album to my CD collection - yes, sometimes I still collect physical media, in this case because the CD comes with a DVD as well. The album and DVD are a track for track live performance of the band's 2008 album The Seldom Seen Kid, performed live at Abbey Road with the BBC Concert Orchestra and a choir called Chantage. The extra voices and orchestration are a wonderful complement to these songs which were already in pretty good shape to begin with, to say the least.

Elbow - The Bones Of You
Elbow - Mirrorball

Waxolutionists - Restored
dZihan & Kamien - Dundadeova
Rafter - Long Ago, A Rodent As Big As A Bull Lurked In South America

January 14, 2010

The Kleptones

The Kleptones provide one of the best ways to experience modern pop music: smashed up in a gigantic blender and redelivered via their unique compositional lens. Uptime / Downtime is an uptempo/downtempo double album of mega mashups that cover so much ground, I couldn't possibly catalog all the references. And the whole thing is yours for the free downloading. While you're on their site, poke around and snag older releases like 24 Hours and A Night At The Hip-Hopera. The Kleptones take mashups to a new conceptual level, and I never tire of hearing them come up on the station - it's jarring hearing Axl Rose on Comfort Radio, but in the capable hands of the Kleptones, it works.

The Kleptones - Hella Touch
The Kleptones - Can't Be Paranoid
The Kleptones - Come Again

DJ Cam - Underground Vibes
The Cyanide Valentine - Ghosts Of Boston
One Self - Trying To Speak

January 11, 2010

Tristeza

On the 2009 release Fate Unfolds, the instrumental group Tristeza delivers a lush dose of melodic prog rock. The last time I listened to this band, I remember thinking they leaned heavily in an ambient direction; but on this release, the tracks have more drive and density.

Tristeza - Manitas
Tristeza - Tension Futura

The Roots - Silent Treatment (Da Beatminerz Remix)
Hauschka - Heimat
Company Flow - End To End Burners

January 08, 2010

Lindstrøm & Christabelle

In the annals of what I call "wacktronica," the new release Real Life Is No Cool by Lindstrøm & Christabelle scores high marks for its eccentric approach to disco & electropop. Producer Lindstrøm supplies the backdrops; Christabelle improvises the vocals. The mix of styles is unpredictable & groovy. For fun, head over to RCRD LBL to snag a pair of free remixes from this record as well.

Lindstrøm & Christabelle - Looking For What
Lindstrøm & Christabelle - Lovesick

Muslimgauze - Turkish Sword Swallower
Fever Ray - Now's the Only Time I Know (J-Wow Mix)
The Herbaliser - A Mother (for your mind)

January 07, 2010

Deadmau5

Deadmau5 is back with his second full length release, entitled For Lack Of A Better Name. The interwebs tell me this is progressive house music, but that can't possibly be right because by definition I hate house music. Rather it's just a solid, exciting collection of electronic thumpers that finally got me motivated to start posting properly again in the new year.

Deadmau5 - Fml
Deadmau5 - Hi Friend!

Neo-Futurists - Bad Affirmation
John Lennon - I'm Losing You
Seal - Crazy (William Orbit Mix)

January 05, 2010

Jessie Evans

Jessie Evans - Is It Fire?
from the album Is It Fire?

Trilambs - Catalina
Cloud Cult - Take Your Medicine (Man is Doomed Remix)
Rachel's - His Eyes