« November 2009 | Main | January 2010 »

December 25, 2009

Merry fucking Christmas!

Every year at Christmas, I post the same things over and over again, because it amuses me to do so. This year, however, I thought I would add something new to the list. Last Christmas I put together a special collection of cover songs called "Version Control" and gave it to friends as a tiny leetle present; I've listened to that mix so many times over the last year that I definitely wanted to do another one, but this time I thought I'd also publish the mix here. It's a big zip file and I'm not telling you what songs are in it, mostly to discourage Hype Machine and Google drive-bys. But for those of you who regularly read this blog, it's an extra leetle present that will be available from today until January 1st, at which point the link dies. (Last year's mix is also presented for completion's sake.) Let me know what you think - or don't, that's pretty much the SOP around here.

Version Control Mix 2009 - 113mb
Version Control Mix 2008 - 110mb

And of course, the stuff I post every year:

Steve Martin & Paul Simon - Silver Bells
Elegant Catastrophe Singers - Fuck Christmas (Right In The Eye Socket)

I won't be back until after the first of the year. See you in 2010!

December 22, 2009

Black Taxi

Black Taxi - Up Here For Thinking, Down There For Dancing [thanks, David!]
from the album Things of that Nature

Lola Dutronic - To Sir With Love
Sussan Deyhim / Richard Horowitz - I'm A Man
DJ Vadim - Headz Still Ain't Ready

December 21, 2009

Efterklang

How do you improve on the Efterklang formula of creating beautifully surreal & imaginative soundscapes? Simple: just add the Danish National Chamber Orchestra. Of course! Together, they've created a new live version of the classic Parades album that was my first introduction to this band, and it's a treat to hear these tracks fleshed out.

Efterklang - Mirador
Efterklang - Caravan

The physical version of this album comes with a DVD that Amazon reviewers speak highly of. I haven't seen it, but you can preview several tracks from it online:

Fingathing - Drunken Water
Erika Stucky - you are my sunshine
Toby Twining Music - Numa Exotic

December 17, 2009

Fol Chen

I've been excited about Fol Chen for most of the year, but in an epic example of "whenever I get around to it," I didn't actually finish listening to their album until yesterday. Turns out it's my favorite kind of pop: it's catchy in a familiar way, but a little jangly and eccentric at the same time. These tracks are from the 2009 release Part I: John Shade, Your Fortune's Made, but they've also got a free remix album that's worth checking out as well.

Fol Chen - Cable TV
Fol Chen - No Wedding Cake

Sin Fang Bous - Melt Down the Knives
Shivaree - Arrivederci
Juno Reactor - Pistolero

December 15, 2009

Yppah

Ninja Tune artist Yppah classifies himself as "Electroacoustic / Psychedelic / Shoegaze" on his MySpace page, also helpfully describing his music as "Syrupy Gobs of Dream Pop." What, I ask, is not to like? From the 2009 sophomore release They Know What Ghost Know.

Yppah - Son Saves The Rest
Yppah - Playing With Fireworks

Pigeonhed - Marry Me (Fisk Goodmanson Prenuptual Trash Heap Remix)
Meat Beat Manifesto - Storm The Studio (remix by DJ Swamp)
Llorca - Expectations (Direct From Venice)

December 11, 2009

directed by Sugimoto Kousuke

Pastel Vespa - Living on a Prayer
Xploding Plastix - The Full Graft
The Coup - Funk

December 09, 2009

O+S

On their 2009 self-titled release, the duo O+S deliver a lush & languid, melancholy tour of a familiar downtempo space (similar in tone to Zero 7 or Air) while adding a melancholy sheen that seems to deepen the sound.

O+S - New Life
O+S - We Do What We Want To

The Avalanches - Electricity
Burial - In Mcdonalds
King Kooba - Blue Mosque

December 08, 2009

Yeasayer

Yeasayer - Ambling Alp
from the Ambling Alp single

The Real Tuesday Weld - Song For William
Tricky - Singing The Blues
Massive Attack - Atta Boy

December 07, 2009

"Building A Better Robot - Vol. 1"

I finally got around to listening to the 2008 compilation Building A Better Robot - Vol. 1, a sampler collection from the excellent Electronic Eel label, and I am pleased to report it's outstanding from start to finish. Best of all, it's free - just sign up for their newsletter, which you'll probably want to do anyway if you like the clever and engaging style of electronica on display here.

Obfusc - Delayed Sunshine Reaction
Alka - Subset Sixteen
iqtu - Pink Poetry

Eliot Lipp - Brand New
My Scarlet Life - Crushed Desire
The Silures - 21 Ghosts (Part 1)

December 04, 2009

DJ Spooky

DJ Spooky is back with a new release called Secret Song that spans a wide variety of influences but still manages to hang together as well as any of his finest creations over the years. When you pick up a Spooky album, you never quite know what you're going to get; this time out, it's a huge mish mash of guest stars (the Jungle Brothers, Thurston Moore & Mike Ladd, Rob Swift, and others) collaborating to create a sonic tapestry that spans hip hop, Asian massive, modern jazz and more.

DJ Spooky - L'Autre (feat. The Golden Hornet Project)
DJ Spooky - Salt Satyagraha (feat. Abdul Smooth)

Hot Chip - Hittin' Skittles
Raymond Scott - In a 18th Century Drawing Room
Thelonious Monk - Pannonica

December 01, 2009

Flotilla

It's always difficult getting back into the swing of blogging after a long vacation. Fortunately today's reentry into civilization was made a little easier after queuing up the new release One Hundred Words for Water by Montreal-based Flotilla. The album is an off-kilter mixture of prog rock & chamber pop that works unexpectedly well and has me hunting for the band's first album.

Flotilla - Song For Yannick