« July 2009 | Main | September 2009 »

Maserati - Monoliths [buy the album]
Lo Fidelity Allstars - On My Mind [pre-order the album]
DJ Mehdi - Pocket Piano [buy the EP]
Pukka - Unrequited Love Song (To ESB) [have you seen this band?]

Tujiko Noriko - Tennisplayer Makes A Smile
Caribou - Handelschnapp
Luke Vibert & BJ Cole - Party Animal (Mr. Scruff Mix)

August 26, 2009

Jóhann Jóhannsson

Today brings some immersive ambient classical music from Jóhann Jóhannsson, whose 2008 release Fordlândia is a deep tour of some rich emotional soundscapes. Not usually my thing, but somehow this one snuck up on me.

Jóhann Jóhannsson - The Rocket Builder (Io Pan!)
Jóhann Jóhannsson - Melodia (Guidelines for a Space Propulsion Device based on Heim's Quantum Theory)

Sirconical - Gioco
Beck - Ghettochip Malfunction (Hell Yes)
Nitrada - Start Today

August 25, 2009

Anya Marina

I'm pretty slammed this week and next, so expect a) sporadic posting, and b) a guest host when I leave for Burning Man next week. In the meantime, here are a couple tracks by Anya Marina, under the general principle of "more delectable indie pop more better!" From the 2009 release Slow & Steady Seduction: Phase II.

Anya Marina - Move You [SSSPII]
Anya Marina - All The Same To Me

Ambient Temple of Imagination - The Invocation
Justice vs Simian - Never Be Alone
transient - vigorous chipmunk

Posted by Scotto at 04:33 PM | Comments (1)

August 21, 2009

Vagabond Opera

Sometimes, klezmer/gypsy-influenced cabaret jazz is just the thing. Thanks, Vagabond Opera! From the 2009 release The Zeitgeist Beckons.

Vagabond Opera - Chimaeras Be Met
Vagabond Opera - Tango 'Til They're Sore

Spool - Xos
Scissor Sisters - The Skins
Baby Fox - Johnny Lipshake

Posted by Scotto at 01:51 PM | Comments (2)

August 19, 2009

Metric

I find it baffling that I never got around to writing about Metric before today - just another sign of my egregious, bone-headed laziness, I suppose. Anyway, I finally heard the band's new release Fantasies yesterday and am pretty convinced it's my favorite Metric album to date - sharp-edged indie rock with a nice electronic sheen, possibly a little more polished than previous efforts but that's how I like it, so. This was one of those records that I expected to be good, and was pleased to find it was even better than I was expecting.

Metric - Help I'm Alive
Metric - Satellite Mind

Shpongle - Vapour Rumours
The Minor Canon - Killing Spiders
Hooverphonic - Battersea

August 18, 2009

The Octopus Project

The new release, Golden Beds, by The Octopus Project is a curious anachronism: it's an "enhanced CD" featuring five miscellaneous audio tracks and seven videos, spanning the band's career. I didn't realize there was still a market for "enhanced CDs," particularly when they repackage videos that are already available on YouTube; I would have guessed a DVD collection would have felt like more of a value, particularly since YouTube's HD option for music videos shows fewer compression artifacts at full screen than this enhanced CD. Format kvetching aside, however, Golden Beds is definitely a treat, particularly for a casual fan like me who hadn't seen any of the band's pleasingly surreal & impressionistic videos before. Please to enjoy a couple of my favorites:

The Octopus Project - Wet Gold

The Octopus Project - Music Is Happiness

Curve - Chinese Burn (Witchman's Eye of the Storm Remix)
Björk - Joga (Alec Empire Digital Hardcore Mix 1)
Da Germ - Physical Chemistry (Chemical Dub)

August 17, 2009

Generationals

Today brings some peppy, retro indie pop from Generationals, whose sound is slightly reminiscent of Johnny Boy, "in a good way!" From the 2009 release Con Law.

Generationals - Nobody Could Change Your Mind
Generationals - Bobby Beale

Mint Royale - Sexiest Man In Jamaica
Lifesavas - Night Out (Feat. George Clinton & Meganut)
Jimmy McGriff - Blue Juice

Posted by Scotto at 02:42 PM | Comments (0)

August 14, 2009

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble

"And then the horns kicked in, and my shoes started to squeak." But seriously, there's nothing like a tight horn section to kick the weekend off right proper. From the self-titled release by Hypnotic Brass Ensemble.

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Alyo
Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Gibbous

Madvillain - America's Most Blunted (Featuring Lord Quas)
Busdriver & Radioinactive with Daedelus - Thousand Words
Chaffey College Jazz Ensemble - Imagination Flight

August 13, 2009

Windmill

Windmill - Big Boom
from the album Epcot Starfields [out 9/15]

August 12, 2009

Holmes

Periodically music comes up on my iPod that causes my wife to remark, "That doesn't sound like music you listen to." The new self-titled album by Holmes is a great example of that - who knew that I could still, after all these cynical years, enjoy straight up, well-crafted, highly melodic indie pop? (Well, me for starters, but still.) The artist is "an Israeli army vet transplanted to Los Angeles via the Berklee College of Music," and the promo materials display chutzpah to say the least, comparing Holmes in one sentence to "The Beatles, Harry Neilsen [sic], ELO, Howlin' Wolf, Beck and David Byrne." (Also, the kitchen sink, and all musicians on the planet.) Personally, though, I kept hearing just enough shades of Moxy Früvous (minus the satire & irony) to draw me in. Also, there is a truly beautiful cover of Bowie's "Let's Dance" on this record. That is all.

Holmes - Let Go
Holmes - Not A Political Song

Oxygenfad - Super Side Scrolling Action
Jam Nation - First Time
The Bad Plus - 1972 Bronze Medalist

August 11, 2009

Birdy Nam Nam

Birdy Nam Nam - The Parachute Ending [Thanks, Kat!]
from the album Manual For Successful Rioting (out 8/18)

August 10, 2009

Dani Deahl

There are few good ways to start a Monday, but a particularly good way to jump start the week is by diving into an hour-long set of uptempo dance tunes. This mix is called Wonderlust, provided to us by Chicago-based DJ Dani Deahl.

Dani Deahl - Wonderlust

01. Ninfa: My Baby Left Me (Keith Remix)
02. Wolfgang Gartner & Francis Preve: Yin
03. Tiga: Shoes (Noob Remix)
04. Microdizko: Miniclub
05. Laidback Luke: Need Your Loving
06. Sydney Samson: Riverside (FnDannyBoy Big Jackin ReRub)
07. Sepalot: Go Get It (AC Slater Remix)
08. Hostage: Pirates
09. Jack Beats: Get Down
10. Dem Slackers: God Is A Slacker (Lee Mortimer Remix)
11. Lenka: Trouble Is A Friend (Nadastrom's Wishful Dub)
12. The Faint: Get Seduced (Hot Pink Delorean & Knowlton Walsh Remix)
13. Yuksek feat. Amanda Blank: Extraball (Duotone Remix)
14. J.M. Sicky & Alexis Dante: It's Alright feat. Eve Menson (Magnetic Remix)
15. 20 Inch: Fuck In Luv feat. Reen (Falko Niestolik & Manuel Baccano Spring Break Remix)
16. Beni: My Love Sees You (Beni's Dub)
17. Deepswing: In The Music (acapella)
18. Techjio: Fine Del Mondo
19. Walter Meego: Through A Keyhole (Le Castle Vania Remix)
20. Stardust vs. Justice: Music Sounds Better With Your Friends (C.I.T.Y. vs. DiscoTech Mash Up)
21. Noisettes: Don't Upset The Rhythm (Kissy Sell Out Vocal Remix)
22. Loose Cannons vs. Lady Gaga: Starstruck (Loose Cannons Bump That Remix)
23. Bart B More: So It Goes
24. La Roux: Bulletproof (Foamo Remix)
25. Jet: She's A Genius (Jaimie Fanatic Remix)

Eivind Aarset - Electro Magnetic In E

from the King Of Surf Guitar Rap EP [free download]

Bill Laswell - Lost Rue Madame
Animals on Wheels - Toasted Bot Bop
Mouse On Mars - I Go Ego Why Go We Go

August 05, 2009

The Herbaliser Band

Oh, hell yeah - The Herbaliser Band has a new record out. Entitled Session Two, this continues the tradition of letting The Herbaliser's rhythm section cut loose on familiar tracks; personally, I dig this sound even more than I dig the main project.

The Herbaliser Band - Mr. Chombee Has The Flaw
The Herbaliser Band - Geddim!

Datarock - Computer Camp Love
Caroline Lavelle - Dream Of Picasso (Monka Monka Mix)
Morcheeba - 4 In The Morning (Ft. Mos Def)

Posted by Scotto at 02:08 PM | Comments (0)

August 04, 2009

Why?

Why? - A Sky For Shoeing Horses Under
from the album Alopecia

Shakkazombie - Big Blue (Go Go King Recorders Remix)
Q-Tip - She Likes to Move (J.Period Remix)
Dub Pistols - Official Chemical

Posted by Scotto at 01:01 PM | Comments (0)

August 03, 2009

Barton Fink

Yes, it's a clever attention-getting maneuver to name your band after a cult favorite Coen Brothers movie, but fortunately, Barton Fink has a handle on electro funk that keeps you engaged, AND you can download the band's record Gear for free from their eyeball-assaulting web site!

Barton Fink - Paranormal Mechanism
Barton Fink - Dicey Street Blues

Dntel - (This Is) The Dream of Evan and Chad (Lali Puna Mix)
Cities Of Foam - Liquid Remedy