« February 2009 | Main | April 2009 »

March 30, 2009

The Bran Flakes

I've been having serious motivation issues lately. Fortunately, "Stumble Out Of Bed" has crept into my brain to the point where all I need to do is chant "working working working working" over and over again and voila, it's as though I have a personality again. From the 2009 release I Have Hands, by The Bran Flakes.

The Bran Flakes - Stumble Out Of Bed
The Bran Flakes - What It's All About

Psapp - Calm Down
!!! - Me And Giuliani Down By The School Yard (A True Story)
Neotropic - Mr Brubakers Strawberry Alarm

March 26, 2009

Poptastic

I posted about the masterful pop/glitch fusion act Poptastic back in December, but after checking out their entire album finally, I'm so enamored that I had to post again. Take top 40 radio, insert into chain saw, enjoy! The recipe is so simple it seems obvious, but that's because Poptastic are geniuses. From the 2008 release The Teen-Pop-Noise Virus, released on Negativland's imprint Seeland Records (which just makes sense).

Poptastic - I Want This Love To Last
Poptastic - Someday Somehow

Bauchklang - Rhythm of Time (I-Wolf Remix)
The Fiery Furnaces - Rub Alcohol Blues
Asian Dub Foundation - Memory War

Posted by Scotto at 03:20 PM | Comments (0)

March 25, 2009

The Christmas Lights

The Christmas Lights - Show Your Teeth
Kat: "awesome. i like anything involving organ theft and freaky ELO keyboard trills. and clowns. and dogs. I approve."
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

Tori Amos - Putting The Damage On
Eriend Oye - Ghost Trains
The Fading Collection - Space (interstellar transmission mix)

March 23, 2009

Soil & "Pimp" Sessions

Here's some explosively good experimental jazz with a serious funk twist, from the band Soil & "Pimp" Sessions. The fusion is so weird that it just makes sense that this is a "Japanese club band". From the 2008 release Planet Pimp.

Soil & "Pimp" Sessions - Fantastic Planet
Soil & "Pimp" Sessions - SATSURIKU Rejects

Simon Bookish - Carbon
Cursor Miner - Library
The Dresden Dolls - The Perfect Fit

Posted by Scotto at 04:03 PM | Comments (0)

March 19, 2009

"A to Z: Bestival 2008"

I came across a completely awesome compilation recently, called A to Z: Bestival 2008 - compiled by Rob da Bank. Running the gamut from "sweet" to "badass" to "jaw-dropping," there are almost no clunkers on this comp; sure, there are some old school gimmes, but overall, the line-up - including Black Kids, Pendulum, The Cuban Brothers, Carl Craig, and a screamingly good Shortwave Set remix - is just plain nifty. This Bestival thing must be a hell of a show.

Gideon Conn - Trademark
Micachu - Golden Phone
thecocknbullkid - On My Own

Romano Mussolini - Blues for Alexandra
Jason Forrest - Nightclothes And Headphones (Featuring Laura Cantrell)
Stuff Smith And His Onyx Club Boys - Here Comes The Man With The Jive

Posted by Scotto at 04:11 PM | Comments (1)

March 17, 2009

Psapp

The latest Psapp record, The Camel's Back, released late last year, is infectious alternative pop at its best. The first track, "I Want That," is practically a master class unto itself in how to craft delectable hooks - the song, and the album, are over much too quickly.

Psapp - I Want That
Psapp - Parker

Milky Lasers - I'm In Love
Digitalis - Jabs
Self - Uno Song

March 13, 2009

First up today, please enjoy this delightful track by Laura Gibson, whose new record, Beasts of Seasons, is beyond delicate all the way to downright ethereal, with the occasional jaunty track like this one thrown in for good measure.

Laura Gibson - Spirited

Next up, some thumping, beat-driven, instrumental post-rock from El Ten Eleven. From the 2008 release These Promises Are Being Videotaped.

El Ten Eleven - Jumping Frenchmen of Maine

Finally here's some grungy, noisy indie pop from The Low Frequency in Stereo, via their 2009 release Futuro.

The Low Frequency in Stereo - Texas Fox

Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook
Blockhead - Coloring Book
Sia - Rewrite

March 12, 2009

Animal Collective

I wasn't expecting to like the new Animal Collective record, Merriweather Post Pavilion, mostly because I've found their older material to be a little too random for my taste. But there's something remarkably catchy about this new album that caught my attention recently; in fact, we were car pooling to work, and all three of us in the car perked up when "Summertime Clothes" popped up on KEXP. Now I'm looking forward to seeing how their experimental, psychedelic pop translates into what is reportedly an awesome live show; Sasquatch, here we come!

Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes
Animal Collective - Brother Sport

Fink - Independent Introduction
Cardigans - Marvel Hill
Prefuse 73 - Huevos with Jeff and Rony

March 11, 2009

Fredo Viola

Fredo Viola - Red States
I said I might throw in some live performances to the video line-up, and here's a pretty unique one, with musicians in New York, England, and France sync'ing up to perform this new tune from Fredo Viola.

You might actually remember Fredo from this insanely good video, which was shot and stitched together "using 15 second jpeg movies from my old point and shoot camera, pieced together in AfterEffects":

Fredo Viola - The Sad Song
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

Bluetech - White Magnesia
The Mighty Bop - My Fantasy
DJ Egadz - The Last Song I Wrote for Her

Posted by Scotto at 02:36 PM | Comments (0)

March 10, 2009

Pendulum

Today brings some over-the-top rocktronica from the 2008 release In Silico, by Australian band Pendulum. The vocals occasionally veer perilously close to melodrama, but fortunately they're usually buried in a wall of fuzz and drums.

Pendulum - Propane Nightmares
Pendulum - Visions

Jeff Buckley - The Sky Is A Landfill
Juno Reactor - Magnetic (Robert Leiner Remix)
Bob Crewe/Charles Fox - Love, Love, Love Drags Me Down

Posted by Scotto at 01:40 PM | Comments (0)

March 09, 2009

Omodaka

Omodaka - Kyoteizinc (video mix) [Via Warren Ellis]
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

saul williams - list of demands reparations
tosca tango orchestra - nocturna
gschmidt - Time Tolled

Posted by Scotto at 03:58 PM | Comments (1)

March 06, 2009

Dear Olga Bell: currently, my iPod contains just ten of your band's songs, and only one more is scheduled for a release in the near future. This is unacceptable. Please produce a 3-CD set immediately. Thanks! Sincerely, Scotto.

Bell - Magic Tape

Jessie Kilguss trades in a kind of quirky pop that borrows equally from piano rock stylings on the one hand, and shimmery electropop baubles on the other, to create a quirky backdrop for her introspective musings. I'm a sucker for this stuff! From the 2009 release Nocturnal Drifter.

Jessie Kilguss - A Little Place Behind My Eyes

And in the "cut to the chase, let's just make some dance pop" department, it's Morgan Geist, from the 2008 release Double Night Time.

Morgan Geist - Palace Life

Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Implodiert
Seksu Roba - Pleasure Vibrations
Chris Thomas King - Hard Time Killing Floor Blues

March 05, 2009

Talkdemonic

Talkdemonic - Duality of Deathening
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

Shakatura - Earsocket
Hot Chip - Bendable Poseable
Enon - Blow Infinite Ways

March 04, 2009

Amorphous Androgynous

So the Amorphous Androgynous guys just released this mammoth 2-CD collection called A Monstrous Psychedelic Bubble Exploding In Your Mind - Volume 1. It is a mix of old weirdness from the likes of Donovan, Miles Davis, Can, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Hawkwind; and newer weirdness from folks like Devendra Banhart, Pop Levi, The Earlies, and Amorphous Androgynous themselves. I can't say I'm ordinarily a huge fan of this aesthetic slice (which AA refer to as "Psychedelic Cosmic Space Music"), but the curation here is quite impeccable and most of the 44 tracks (!!) feel like forgotten treasures. Your mileage, naturally, may vary.

Cranium Pie - Drying In The Sun
Nick Nicely - 49 Cigars

The Bees - I Love You
The Pipettes - Dirty Mind
Beastie Boys - Ricky's theme

March 03, 2009

Broken Spindles

Broken Spindles - Introvert
Kat: "very creepy and neat. very brothers quay. claymation and really rough line art animation combined, likely shot on a bolex, with some sort of silver finish on it. and it's about being trapped in a room and going crazy. it's like if gumby did a bunch of drugs in his room by himself."
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

Jackson 5 - I Want You Back (readymade 524 mix by Yasuharu Konishi)
The Wedges - Who Put The Ding
Baby Fox - Our Face Is Not A Jackal

Posted by Scotto at 12:26 PM | Comments (0)

March 02, 2009

Helios

In other news, people are still making interesting old school ambient music. Wow! From the 2008 release Caesura, by Helios.

Helios - Hope Valley Hill
Helios - Come With Nothings

Grandmaster Flash - The Message (Roots Manuva Remix)
chicks on speed - we don't play guitars (chicken lips remix)
Prefuse 73 - Trains on Top of the Game

Posted by Scotto at 02:28 PM | Comments (0)