« November 2008 | Main | January 2009 »

December 24, 2008

Christmas grab bag

I'm going on vacation from this blog until after the near year; probably won't be back until January 5, given the traveling I have planned. In the meantime, I typically post the exact same thing every single Christmas, but this year I thought I'd add a few things to it.

Here's a charming track that "features" a heavily mangled Christina Aguilera:

65daysofstatic - I'm Dreaming Of A White Noise Christmas

And here's an old track that really only tertiarily has anything to do with Christmas, but I was thinking about it this morning and figured now was as good a time as any to re-circulate it:

Joy Zipper - Christmas Song

Here's the only Christmas carol I ever found particularly interesting (check out the hard core translated lyrics here):

The Monkees - Riu Chiu

Here's a brand new Christmas song we performed live at a cabaret here in Seattle earlier this month:

Scotto & Brian - Fuck Christmas (Right In The Eye Socket)

And here, of course, is the Christmas tune to end all Christmas tunes, an unaired SNL sketch (for reasons that will become very obvious once you hear it):

Paul Simon & Steve Martin - Silver Bells

Oh, and definitely head over to Music For Maniacs to hear the "worst Christmas song ever," if that kind of thing floats your boat.

Merry fucking Christmas!

Cibo Matto - Le Pain Perdu
Loop Guru - Can of Ghosts
Faint - Syntax Lies

Posted by Scotto at 12:12 PM | Comments (1)

December 23, 2008

mr. Gnome

mr. Gnome - Night of the Crickets
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

The Orb - Spanish Castles In Space
The Fiery Furnaces - Tropical Ice-Land
Masha Qrella - Don't Stop the Dance

December 22, 2008

Au Revoir Simone

It snowed for, like, eleventy billion hours yesterday, leaving us unable to get to work again today; and even though we're telecommuting, it still feels like a vacation day. Fortunately, I still listen to music, even on vacation! As such, please to enjoy a couple highlights from the new Au Revoir Simone remix album, Reverse Migration, which is as pleasing an introduction to this band's melodic style of indie pop as you could hope for.

Au Revoir Simone - A Violent Yet Flammable World (Montag Remix)
Au Revoir Simone - Stars (Disco Pusher Remix)

Breakestra - How Do You Really Feel?
Namelessnumberheadman - Rest Assured
David Rhodes & Akira Inoue - 22 Words For Snow

Posted by Scotto at 02:50 PM | Comments (1)

December 19, 2008

Juana Molina

It snowed in Seattle Wednesday night, and the whole city pretty much shut down completely. I haven't been able to get to my office the past two days due to how icy the streets are; there are zero buses in my neighborhood today due to how many of them crashed yesterday. In fact, imagine being on one of these buses during this crash.

Anyway, that has very little to do with today's post. Juana Molina is one of those artists I keep running across over and over again without ever really getting to know too well, so I finally broke down and picked up her latest album, Un Día, the other day. (Hey, even a radical guy like me is susceptible to Interweb buzz on occasion.) Turns out - yum yum! I guess you'd call this experimental folk music if you needed to put a label on it - swirly, lightly psychedelic, very dreamy.

Juana Molina - Un Día

Jem - They
Solina - hi koukai
Velma - Unsecure

Posted by Scotto at 03:18 PM | Comments (1)

December 18, 2008

Daedelus

Daedelus - Fair Weather Friends
Directed by Jordan Kim. [Via Kat]
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

Jamie Lidell - Figured Me Out
Yasume - 2112 Crescent Heights
On An Ocean Amp - New Clicky (Dedacia Remix)

December 17, 2008

The Walkmen

The Walkmen deliver a messy, atmospheric brand of indie rock on their 2008 release, You & Me. I found myself swept up in the "everything old is new again" feeling of the record, which had me imagining I was listening to distressed vinyl. It's a strange kind of heartfelt, and it works. I've never heard their older records, but I'll be looking for them.

The Walkmen - Donde Esta La Playa
The Walkmen - In The New Year

Tuatara - Negotiation
Duke Of Burlington - Black Panther
Beth Orton - Couldn't Cause Me Harm

December 16, 2008

Max Tundra

Max Tundra - Will Get Fooled Again

dZihan & Kamien - Streets Of Istanbul (Mum's East West Remix)
Meat Beat Manifesto - Deepsky / Stargazer (Tuff Mix)
Thavius Beck - (Music Will Be) The Death Of Us All

December 15, 2008

Grisbi

I just stumbled across the 2007 release Playtime by a beautifully quirky electropop group, Grisbi. I first heard this band on a collection of "Army Of Me" covers but didn't follow up until just this week; shame on me, as this is now one of my favorite releases in recent memory. Several times throughout the record I felt like I was hearing an electropop update of the Cibo Matto aesthetic; good stuff.

Grisbi - Seven Days A Week
Grisbi - For You

The Grid - Floatation [Subsonic Grid Mix]
Air Liquide - Ballad Of The Nameless Guitar Player
Mouse On Mars - Detected Beats

December 12, 2008

The Moodgadget label keeps up its streak with this completely immersive new track from Calmer, off the Past is Present EP. It's experimental acid jazz, if you can believe such a thing; look for this release in January of '09.

Calmer - Past Is Present

This, of course, is what all pop music would sound like if it were released on Negativland's label. Ah, what a world that would be. From the 2008 release The Teen-Pop-Noise Virus by Poptastic.

Poptastic - Hold Me

And yes, we did actually need to hear a Santogold cover performed by a folk musician. Word.

Avi Fox-Rosen - Creator

LeutOhm - From Town To Town
The Herbaliser With Jean Grae - The Generals
Marconi Union - Suburb27

December 11, 2008

No Somos Machos Pero Somos Muchos

No Somos Machos Pero Somos Muchos - Clap Your Brains Off
Directed by Frank Beltran. [Via Kat]
Seen any good videos lately? Let me know: scotto (a) comfortradio.org

December 10, 2008

Puracane

While randomly trawling through Amazon the other day, I came across a release called In Limbo: The Lost Puracane Sessions, dating from 2006. Puracane put out one solid record in the year 2000, marked by their shiny electropop cover of Jane's Addiction's "Summertime Rolls," and the whole thing was an intriguing trip hop / electropop fusion, but then the band seemed to vanish without a trace. Flash forward six years to this collection of seeming odds and ends: "a collection of songs composed and produced by several satellite members over the last few years." It's a welcome addition to the catalog for fans of the band, even if it lacks the exact oomph of the early release.

Puracane - Sand
Puracane - Secrets

And for Corrie:

Puracane - Fake Plastic Trees

Rufus Wainwright - The Origin of Love
Calexico - Frontera
Herbalizer feat. Latyrx - 8 Point Agenda

December 09, 2008

The Acorn

After posting the Amanda Palmer video the other day, I started thinking that it might be fun to post videos on a regular basis here. Since I typically post MP3s on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, that leaves Tuesdays and Thursdays wide open for videos (no, I won't post on the weekend, you slave-drivers). I've asked my friend Kat to help me curate the video selections, since my video discovery routes are much less established than my music discovery routes - that's part of the goal for me, to start tuning in to the good videos out there that deserve a little extra word of mouth.

Here are our guidelines:
* We aren't restricting our choices of videos to the genres of music that I normally write about, although we'll likely heavily skew that direction.
* If the video is great but the music isn't, we might still post it.
* We're hoping to skew toward more recent stuff, but older videos that might deserve a second look are fair game.
* Occasional live performances of note might sneak in here.
* We won't be sharing videos by super mainstream artists, even if the video is great; Britney, Kanye, etc., don't need our help getting the word out about their glamfests.
* Unlike the MP3s we post, videos will often be presented without comment.
* We really, really want your tips - if you've seen anything good lately, share it with us by emailing me at scotto (a) comfortradio.org.

I'll keep this experiment up until I get bored of doing it (which is pretty much true of everything in my life). Here's our first one:

The Acorn - Crooked Legs

Kelley Polar - Rosenband (Magic Tim's Instrumental Version)
Blackalicious - Lotus Flower
Fredo Viola - Hogwash

December 08, 2008

Dokkemand

Here's some indie folktronica from Norway, via the artist Dokkemand, whose new album Hons! is available for under $5 over on Amie Street.

Dokkemand - Lapp
Dokkemand - Udulat

The Go! Team - Junior Kickstart (Live KCRW)
Bigga Bush vs Kocani Orkestar - L'Orient Est Roots
Camille - Assise

December 05, 2008

Amanda Palmer

Sorry it's not an MP3 today, but I just got a chance to watch this new video by the scorchingly hot Amanda Palmer, and I thought you should see it too.

Speedy J - Terre Zippy
Montefiori Cocktail - Sofisticata
Boom Boom Satellites - Blink

December 04, 2008

Celery Moon

Celery Moon brings one more swank mix to the table this year, a slightly more disco-oriented affair than previous mixes - which was just what I needed yesterday in the midst of a mid-week, post-Thanksgiving slump at work. Dig it:

Celery Moon - Good Morning Stardust VIII

01 Thomas Bangalter - Club Soda
02 Friendly Fires - Paris (Aeroplane Remix)
03 Palette All-Stars - After School Special
04 Outlander - Vamp (Prins Thomas Remix)
05 Lifelike & Kris Menace - Discopolis (Alan Braxe Remix)
06 Trevor Loveys - Agitator
07 I:Cube - Supernovac
08 The Hasbeens - Make The World Go Away
09 Digitalism - Appolo-Gize (Breakbot Remix)
10 Panda Bear - Bros (Cousin Cole Edit)
11 Sasse - Break Up
12 DJ Mehdi - Pocket Piano (Joakim Remix)
13 Golden Girls - Kinetic (ATFC Remix)
14 The Tough Alliance - Neo Violence (Woolfy Remix)
15 Chateau Flight - La Roquette
16 Golden Bug - Disco Sensation
17 Drums of Death - DOD Fucks Up An Escort Tune
18 The Whip - Muzzle No. 1 (Black Ghosts Remix)
19 Neon Neon - Dream Cars (Dream Drums Mix)
20 Runaway - Brooklyn Club Jam (Brennan Green Version)
21 Telefon Tel Aviv - You Are The Worst Thing In The World (Sasha Remix)
22 Metro Area - Miura
23 Metronomy - A Thing For Me (Nightmoves Mix)
24 Silocone Soul - The Pact (Bassline Dub)
25 BSOD - This Is The Hook
26 Cut Copy - Far Away (The Golden Filter Remix)
27 Glossy - Burning Love
28 Distance - Feel Me

Woob - woobed
jhno - Jimmy
seatbelts - rush

December 01, 2008

Tobacco

On the 2008 release Fucked Up Friends, we're treated to an enjoyable dose of psychedelic techno weirdness from Tobacco, otherwise known as Black Moth Super Rainbow's empresario, Tom Fec.

Tobacco - Hairy Candy
Tobacco - Side 8 (Big Gums Version)

Amon Tobin - People Like Frank