« August 2008 | Main | October 2008 »

September 29, 2008

Minotaur Shock

Minotaur Shock is back with more weird and engaging techno. This release, Amateur Dramatics, has more of a driving pulse to it than the last one, but it's just as inventive and exciting to hear.

Minotaur Shock - Zookeeper
Minotaur Shock - This Plane Is Going To Fall

Saint Etienne - Language Lab
Planet Maya - Perfect
Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Lunger

September 26, 2008

Dykeritz makes weirdly entertaining chamber rock that sprawls and beeps and bubbles along in a surprisingly catchy fashion. From the 2008 release Rearrangerologyistics.

Dykeritz - Braceletless Wrist

Here's some delectable electropop by Hearts Of Palm UK that's been slowly growing on me each time I hear it. It has a plaintive, almost innocent quality, which makes it infectious. From the forthcoming release For Life.

Hearts Of Palm UK - So Long

While we eagerly await the next full release from :papercutz, we will happily distract ourselves with the first single and its small trove of quality remixes...

:papercutz - Ultravioleta (The Sight Below remix)

Psapp - The Counter
Craig Armstrong - Niente
Cibo Matto - Bruxaria

Posted by Scotto at 12:05 PM | Comments (0)

September 24, 2008

Sonny J

It's been a while since a party record caught my attention, but the debut record by Sonny J reminds me of what might happen if Mint Royale, Freestylers, and Johnny Boy all got together to make a record. Sometimes it sounds like a pumped-up Gotan Project or Supreme Beings of Leisure; on the last track, it sounds like a lost collaboration by the Free Design and Johnny Cash, as backed by Lemon Jelly. This record, entitled Disastro, is crazy.

Sonny J - Can't Stop Moving
Sonny J - Strange Things

As a bonus, here's a very unexpected Beatles cover, from the Enfant Terrible single:

Sonny J - A Hard Day's Night

The Rapture - Sister Savior
The Beta Band - Monolith
DJ Food - Scratch Yer Hed

September 22, 2008

Dosh

I can't get over how much I enjoy the energetic, catchy, experimental jazz-infused sound of Dosh! From the 2008 release Wolves and Wishes.

Dosh - Don't Wait For The Needle To Drop
Dosh - Wolves

Emilie Simon - Song Of The Storm
LCD Soundsystem - Disco Infiltrator
Hexstatic - Communication Break-Down

September 18, 2008

Max Tundra

It's been six years since Max Tundra released his last record, Mastered By Guy At The Exchange - a record that was one of the primary inspirations for me when I was thinking about starting an MP3 blog. That album was an absurdist dream, taking elements of IDM, broken beat, glitch, the then-nascent sheen of electropop, and the completely wild abandon and pure silliness of Japanese pop, and fusing them all together into something that transcended mere pastiche. But even stringing all those genres and adjectives together, it was still something you needed to hear to understand - and that was why I thought, "Hell, I should be telling the world about stuff like this."

You can imagine my excitement, then, to learn that Max Tundra is about to release his third album, Parallax Error Beheads You - his first release in six long years. His sound is clearly not for everyone; it's as dense and demanding in its way as it is light and impish on the surface. Here's a track from the new release for your consideration:

Max Tundra - Which Song

I had a chance to ask Ben Jacobs, a.k.a. Max Tundra, a few questions about his new record in this micro-interview:

COMFORT MUSIC: It took you six years to get this new release ready - what the heck took you so long? Were you at all concerned that "they" (the music world at large) were going to catch up to you?

MAX TUNDRA: I find the recording process a total hassle, and am very easily distracted from it. All it takes is a phone call from a friend inviting me for posh Korean food or a screening of some weird film. Or that Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD I'm eyeing even now. Sometimes I just wander into the kitchen and have some tea and cake, or cook a dahl. But when I actually get into doing a track, then it's fun having a series of late nights, getting the headphones on, and becoming lost in the creation of something brand new whilst everyone is asleep. Also I wanted a load of new bands to form, get big, and then bang out three albums. There are a ton of new groups out there since my last record - some of them have even formed and split up in that time...

COMFORT MUSIC: You've been accused of "having too many ideas" - where on earth do they come from? What influences do you draw from as you're composing?

MAX TUNDRA: They are from intense dreams, usually caused by all the rich, middle-class foods I gorge on before going to bed.

COMFORT MUSIC: Have you ever been tempted to move away from the Commodore Amiga 500 as your principal instrument? (Is that even still a supported device in the modern world?)

MAX TUNDRA: The Amiga doesn't appear on everything, but it is the backbone to the tracks which are sequenced. It's cheap and easily replacable, and the software cost me $1. I am reluctant to teach myself how to use Ableton, Logic or any other PC/Mac software, as there are lots of people who know their way round those titles much better than me. I've been using this particular piece of Amiga software for most of my life, so am something of an expert in it. This might explain the indoorsy childhood I had (only learnt to ride a bike when I was 22, cos the local kids laughed at my stabilizers, so hid and programmed). The Amiga is just one small piece of the puzzle however; on the new album none of the sounds came out of the Amiga itself.

COMFORT MUSIC: What's in store on your tour? Full band? Visuals? And is there the slightest chance you'll hit the U.S.?

MAX TUNDRA: I always think that visuals are a cop-out, which distract from what's going on onstage. A lot of electronic-type acts rely on these so that they can hide behind their laptops checking their emails. I prefer to engage the audience with my ludicrous dance moves and my inter-song banter, and usually ask the venue for no visuals; am happiest with a harsh white light pointed straight at me. US tour plans are afoot for early 2009 - can't wait!

COMFORT MUSIC: What have you been listening to lately that caught your attention?

MAX TUNDRA: What's Up, Abe Vigoda, The Fiery Furnaces, Jensen Sportag, Dennis Greenidge.

September 17, 2008

The American Dollar

Proving once again that I'm a sucker for post-rock, I fell right into the new release by The American Dollar. It's called A Memory Stream, and it infuses the genre with warmth where others might simply apply bombast. Sure, the record has its M83 moments, but what's wrong with that? Meanwhile, it's nice to be reminded of the rock roots in "post-rock".

The American Dollar - The Slow Wait (1)
The American Dollar - The Slow Wait (2)

The Polyphonic Spree - Section 14 (Two Thousand Places)
Dosh - Um, Circles and Squares
Matthew Dear - Good To Be Alive

September 15, 2008

Watcha Clan

Watcha Clan offers a tour of the globe as filtered through slick beats on the 2008 release, Diaspora Hi-Fi. On a record that comfortably encompasses African, Arabic, and reggae influences, the Balkan grooves are definitely the creamy filling. You don't usually see this much variety on a single platter outside of a compilation, but fortunately, the influences hang together nicely instead of fighting for your attention.

Watcha Clan - Marashtein
Watcha Clan - Call Of Hagar

Le Tigre - Nanny Nanny Boo Boo
Ani DiFranco - Grey
Tipsy - Kitty's Daydream (Longhair mix)

September 11, 2008

Celery Moon

It's time for another long form mix from Celery Moon, clocking in at a whopping 94 minutes (129 megabytes) of excellent upbeat techno. Hopefully this will tide you over through the weekend!

Celery Moon - Good Morning Stardust VI

01 Forensics - Most Of It Is Missing
02 Pogo - Lost
03 Grizzlehand - It’s Disco Dub
04 Kasper Bjorke - Doesn’t Matter (Rework)
05 Morten Sorensen - Start Something
06 Parker Frisby - Brain against Heart
07 Autokratz - Last Show
08 Machines Don’t Care - Junk
09 Melee Beats - Wondering
10 The Presets - This Boy’s In Love (Zombie Nation Remix)
11 Young MC - Bust A Move (Diplo Instrumental)
12 Daft Punk - Around The World (I:Cube Remix)
13 Metronomy - On Dancefloors
14 Daedelus - Get Off Your Hi-hats
15 DVAS - Ambient Room (Symbol One Remix)
16 Chemical Brothers - Midnight Madness
17 Soft Cell - So
18 Underworld - Crocodile (Innervisions Orchestra Mix)
19 Kelley Polar - Entropy Reigns (Pearson & Usher Remix)
20 Da Fresh - Madness
21 Melee Beats - Ordinary (SMS To God)
22 Buraka Som Sistema - Sound Of Kuduro
23 Kavinsky - 1986
24 Treasure Fingers - Cross The Dancefloor (Lifelike Remix)
25 Lee Curtiss - Soul Shower
26 Darmstadt - Out Of The Blue (DIM Remix)
27 CSS - Move
28 Sam Sparro - 21 Century Life (Mac Project Instrumental)
29 Kid Sister - Pro Nails (Gant Man Remix)
30 Eric Prydz - Pjanoo (Fred Falke Remix)
31 Japanese Popstars - Dr. Frenchy Bernard
32 Morgan Geist - Detroit
33 Pluxus - Rodval Blaval
34 Solvent - When The Sun Hits

Chris Clark - Empty The Bones Of You
Shrift - Yes I Love You
Viva Voce - N Love W / U

Posted by Scotto at 03:11 PM | Comments (0)

September 08, 2008

Bella Koshka

On the 2007 release Slow Dancing on the Ocean Floor, the vaguely goth rock band Bella Koshka offers up an intriguing collection of tunes in the vein of Darling Violetta, with hints of downtempo influences that keep it from drifting too over the top. It's musical and melancholy, reminding me a bit of the old Preston Klik / Big Hat aesthetic that some of you midwesterners might be familiar with.

Bella Koshka - Relic
Bella Koshka - Fiction

Sky Cries Mary - Deep Sunless Sea
Muse - Ashamed
Garbage - #1 Crush

September 05, 2008

Pop Levi

Former Ladytron bassist Pop Levi has a new record out called Never Never Love, which sounds like a strange midair collision between Scissor Sisters and Of Montreal - eccentric glam rock with a vaguely absurdist streak.

Pop Levi - Never Never Love
Pop Levi - Dita Dimoné

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - My Man Is A Mean Man
Goldfrapp - Slide in
Electrelane - Love Builds Up

September 03, 2008

Mr. Meeble

Mr. Meeble is a dark electropop trio with all kinds of crunchy edges, as though Boom Boom Satellites and The Dissociatives decided to try to make a trip hop record together. Their debut album, Never Trust The Chinese, is apparently "about" some romance gone horribly wrong, but the record never seems maudlin... moody, sure, but in a lush and textured fashion.

Mr. Meeble - Fine
Mr. Meeble - I Fell Through

The Fiery Furnaces - Forty-Eight Twenty-Three Twenty-Second Street
Pizzicato Five - Good (Samoan Attorney Mix)
Russell Mills - Gleam and Drag

Posted by Scotto at 02:57 PM | Comments (0)

September 01, 2008

Asian Dub Foundation

Asian Dub Foundation is back with more of their "hard ragga-jungle rhythms, indo-dub basslines [and] searing sitar-inspired guitars" (thank you, ADF's web site) on the 2008 release Punkara. This is nothing new; ADF has been cranking this kind of stuff out for years now, and I suppose the calls for revolution are starting to sound a little generic now (plus, they clearly aren't working) - but I still get a kick whenever ADF comes up on the old shuffle, and this new album follows in that tradition.

Asian Dub Foundation - Burning Fence
Asian Dub Foundation - S.O.C.A. (Instrumental Version)

AlpenDub - the man cable / Boch Oi
daft punk - make love
All Good Funk Alliance - The One

Posted by Scotto at 04:31 PM | Comments (0)