« May 2008 | Main | July 2008 »

June 30, 2008

Sigur Rós

Sigur Rós have a new album out, with the the pleasingly catchy title of Med sud I eyrum vid spilum endalaust. The material alternates between some surprisingly, yes, catchy tunes, and some seriously tranquil interludes, just about as you'd expect. The sonic development is iterative as opposed to ground-breaking, but still a nice addition to the band's slowly expanding repertoire.

Sigur Rós - Inní mér syngur vitleysingur
Sigur Rós - Med sud í eyrum

Andromeda Island - Deuterium Kammer
We Are On Earth To Learn - Mr Night & Mr Day
Odd Nosdam - Untitled Three (Edit) w/ Jessica Bailiff

June 27, 2008

The Chap

I recently discovered The Chap for the first time, and found comparisons to Talking Heads quite apt, albeit updated for a modern sensibility; in particular, I even found some tracks on the band's new record Mega Breakfast to be explicitly reminiscent of the experimental quality of the Byrne/Eno collab My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. That's not to say this band doesn't stake out its own territory; rather, it's just nice to see such unique indie rock popping out of the woodwork.

The Chap - Caution Me
The Chap - Proper Rock
The Chap - They Have A Name

Oh, and here's a bonus remix, just because:

The Chap - They Have A Name (Atlas Sound remix)

Fotomoto - Monster & Belle
Electric Skychurch - Hipgnosis
The Green Future - Honey Rhythm and Butter

June 25, 2008

Hanne Hukkelberg

Ethereal, experimental electropop today from Hanne Hukkelberg, on her latest release Rykestraße 68. The record came out last year but is just now getting a domestic release, and it's well worth repeated listens; the textures she creates are infectious and delectable, albeit difficult to describe.

Hanne Hukkelberg - The North Wind
Hanne Hukkelberg - Break My Body

PJ Harvey - The Wind
The Sharp Things - Storm King (Demo)
The Crystal Method - Wide Open

June 23, 2008

Xploding Plastix

I finally got around to picking up an old (2001) record by Xploding Plastix called Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents. It makes me incredibly happy with its swank, Amon Tobin meets Max Tundra sensibility. Please to enjoy!

Xploding Plastix - Sports, Not Heavy Crime
Xploding Plastix - More Powah To Yah
Xploding Plastix - Far-Flung Tonic

Orbital - Times Fly (Fast)
Midival Punditz - 136 (Gautam's Downtempo Mix)
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Stars Fell On Alabama

June 20, 2008

Sounds to me like I need to meet this "Dr Borow". From the strangely misspelled Eletric Dream EP by Trotter.

Trotter - Dr Borow

Emmanuel Jal is a former Sudanese child soldier who turned to hip hop years later; his new album Warchild is great, dark hip hop with raw conscience, supported by excellent integration of African musical influences throughout the record.

Emmanuel Jal - Warchild

And here's some dirty, grungry techno to send you into your weekend on a sunny note. It's by Telepathique, on the 2008 EP release Love & Lust.

Telepathique - Deja-Vu (Hot Tape Remix)

Shabaz - Bhoal (Don't Forget My Love)
Instamatic - GodLife
Wickens - Instrumental 17

June 18, 2008

Camille

As an ardent admirer of quality vocal music, I was tickled pink when I heard the latest record by Camille, the French singer (or shall I say chanteuse???? OK, maybe not) renowned for her innovative use of layered vocals and beatboxing, along with strategic bits of piano and sound effects, to create lush & eccentric (and slightly funky) tapestries. This record feels a little more lively than her last release, which I also enjoyed quite a bit; I'll certainly be on the hunt for the rest of her catalogue (I hear a live album is floating around). From the 2008 release Music Hole.

Camille - Home Is Where It Hurts
Camille - Kfir

Viva Voce - Perpetual No
Zion Train - Get Ready
The Anubian Lights - Lazytown

June 17, 2008

Cut Copy

For some reason, my first exposure to the new Cut Copy release, In Ghost Colours, didn't really make an impression on me. Luckily I had occasion to listen to the whole thing more closely, and the sleek dance grooves on display wound up winning me over.

Cut Copy - Far Away
Cut Copy - Strangers In The Wind

Figurine - So Futuristic
Roy Ayers - Boogie Back
Neotropic - Beautiful Pool

June 12, 2008

The Atomica Project is back with their sophomore record, Grayscale, a lovely collection of trip hop-infused downtempo (or downtempo-infused trip hop, it's hard to keep everything straight). Their press materials continue to compare them favorably to Portishead, which might not be such a great idea any more, given how... uh... I'm trying to be charitable here... how "non-something-I-like" the new Portishead record is, but don't hold that against Atomica.

The Atomica Project - Gravity

Here's one for Kat: who knew that catchy electropop gets you to the church on time? From the Modern Love EP by Syme.

Syme - Modern Love

Sometimes I hear a song and I just think to myself, "That's the definition of a Comfort Radio song." Other times, I just like pulling a fast one. Which category is this song? ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS.

Mequetrefe - We Are Like Cows

Fredo Viola - Puss (deltasleep's Everybody Look Through Your Hair Remix)
Koushik - Homage
Dynamo Productions - Man In The Moon

Posted by Scotto at 02:43 PM | Comments (1)

June 11, 2008

The High Violets

The High Violets provided a nice blend of Lush-style swirly rock'n'roll, with hints of electronics ala Helio Sequence and a smattering of Secret Machines-style bombast, on their 2006 release To Where You Are.

The High Violets - Sun Baby
The High Violets - Cool Green

Mint Royale - Trickshot
Ornament - Thoughts, But No Poem
Wally Brill - A Loop In Time (Banco De Gaia Remix)

Posted by Scotto at 10:35 PM | Comments (0)

June 09, 2008

The Ruby Suns

The Ruby Suns make lilting, wistful indie pop that seems vaguely infused with a tropical sensibility. From the 2008 release Sea Lion.

The Ruby Suns - Tane Mahuta
The Ruby Suns - Kenya Dig It?

Dub Narcotic Sound System - Boot Party
Lisa Walker - Orcadrift (Turtledub Remix)
Helios - The Toy Garden

June 06, 2008

The Half Brothers

I know, I know - I never expected to post about a modern bluegrass album on this blog either, but sometimes, excitement just gets the better of me. The Half Brothers are a Seattle-based bluegrass trio (guitar / mandolin / banjo) that puts an irreverent spin on a genre that I admittedly know pleasingly little about; if you ever wondered what the Hall & Oates classic "Rich Girl" would sound like accompanied by banjo, now is your opportunity. By the same token, the album's not just a tongue-in-cheek fest - it's a seriously musical affair, featuring rich three-part harmonies and unassuming lyrical depth. If you're in Seattle, you might want to drop by tonight's CD release party for their debut record at the Sunset, which also features "Awesome" on the bill (which makes sense, as two of the three members of The Half Brothers are also members of "Awesome").

The Half Brothers - Taters On The Wheel
The Half Brothers - Rich Girl

Ben Neill - Showdown
Charlotte Hatherley - Where I'm Calling From
The Orb - Assassin (The Oasis of Rhythms mix)

June 04, 2008

Engineers

Way back in 2005, Engineers released a self-titled debut of lush, swirling, atmospheric rock goodness, which I just got around to picking up the other day. It doesn't seem like they've released anything since, but that doesn't mean you should ignore this record!

Engineers - Come In Out Of The Rain
Engineers - One In Seven

Animal Collective - Spirit They're Gone (Rollercoaster Project remix)
Godspeed You Black Emperor - East Hastings
Nightmares On Wax - Deepdown

June 02, 2008

Kaki King

On the 2008 release Dreaming Of Revenge, indie folk experimentalist Kaki King delivers an understated, quirky record that occasionally builds to surprisingly layered vistas.

Kaki King - Can Anyone Who Has Heard This Music Really Be A Bad Person?
Kaki King - Life Being What It Is