« February 2008 | Main | April 2008 »

March 31, 2008

The Grid

After more than a decade since their last release, The Grid is back with a new record called Doppelganger. I'm surprised to imagine there's still an audience for this kind of old school techno, but who knows, maybe what's old is new again. Or something.

The Grid - Put Your Hands Together
The Grid - Mighty Heroic
The Grid - Free Your Mind

Erlon Chaves - Cosa Nostra (Raw Deal Remix)
Mr Melvis - A Walk Through The Powerhouse
Of Montreal - Faberge Falls For Shuggie

March 28, 2008

Here's some beautiful netlabel ambient, from the ever reliable Monotonik imprint. The EP is called Show Us Your Weak Side, which naturally you can snag for totally free and such.

Muxu - Hishiko

Yep, there are some good tunes on the vinyl UNKLE collection More Stories.

UNKLE - Turnstile Blues-Autolux (Surrender Sound Sessions 4)

For no apparent reason, please to enjoy this engaging instrumental electropop track from the 2001 EP Eine Verabredung by Barbara Morgenstern.

Barbara Morgenstern - Der Wunsch Teil 4 (live)

Timeshard - Cosmic Carrot
They Might Be Giants - I'm Def
Pest - Jazz Weed

March 26, 2008

Ojos De Brujo

Ojos De Brujo have a new live album out, Techarí Live, to go along with the two studio albums and two remix albums they've put out, and all it confirms for me so far is a) these people are outstanding musicians, and b) they are also completely crazy!

Ojos De Brujo - Get Up, Stand Up
Ojos De Brujo - Bailaores (Live)

March 24, 2008

"Left Coast Liquid Vol. 1"

It's been a long time since I came across an ambient compilation as solid and tasty as the 2005 release Left Coast Liquid Vol. 1. From start to finish, this one takes me back to the days when it seemed like ambient music was such a new horizon.

Rena - Autumn
Bluetech - Oleander (Phutureprimitive symbiotic remix)
Shakatura - Baldocious Turp

March 21, 2008

"52 Weeks"

Please to enjoy this wonderful new netlabel compilation entitled 52 Weeks, four albums covering each of the four seasons, tied together thusly:

basically we had a new artist make a song every seven days that transitioned from the previous week, as well they titled their creations after current news headlines. 52 tracks in all, broken up into the four seasons... winter started it off quite varied, spring got more acoustic and showed off some real instruments, summer was breakcore madness and fall once again was all over the map.

among the contributers were... Jason Forrest, Daedelus, Ricky of Food For Animals, Gangpol & Mit, Montag, The Winks, Duran Duran Duran, Mochipet, Wisp, Populous, Nathan Michel, Rafter and The Real Tuesday Weld. some real gems throughout. and best of all, it's free, as the peppermill is a totally non-profit label and all our releases are freely downloadable.

The collection's quality is uniformly excellent, across the more well-known artists and the less distinguished artists alike; and each season definitely hangs together on its own, while still contributing to the overall theme. Absolutely worth snagging and enjoying in its entirety; the sample tracks I'm posting here are great snapshots, but it's an immersive listen front to back.

Säwe feat. B-Mor7 - Low-Key Superstar
Gangpol und Mit - Third Armrest Betrays Alien Origin Of New Military Plane
Liger - Oh, Chicken Feathers!
Binärpilot - (From Up Here) She Looks Like An Angel Now
Mochipet - Cleaning San Fran Oil Spill With Hair Mats And Mushrooms
Populous feat. Penny - Early Humans May Have Used Makeup, Seafood
Orangebox - From Minus 19 To Zero In One Night
Rafter - Long Ago, A Rodent As Big As A Bull Lurked In South America

March 19, 2008

Celery Moon

Today brings a special treat: a 78-minute mix of awesomeness, provided by a budding DJ from NYC, Celery Moon. The mix is called Good Morning Stardust II; I posted about the first volume over on my other blog, DoseNation, but I thought it was time to share the love with you all this time. The track listing is hot (see below), and the mix is quite nice. Enjoy!

Celery Moon - Good Morning Stardust II

01 The Black Dog - Floods V3.1 (Bass Soldier Remix)
02 Fujiya & Miyagi - One Trick Pony
03 The Embassy - New Plans
04 Scott Sunn - Emergence (Let's Go Outside Remix)
05 Orbital - Sad But True
06 Sasha Dive - Annihilating Rhythm
07 Deadmau5 - The Reward Is Cheese
08 Toddy Terry - Get Down (Kenny Dope Remix)
09 D1 - I'm Loving
10 Future Sound Of London - Hardhead
11 Feadz - Brand New Car Instrumental
12 Quando Quango - Love Tempo
13 Alphabeat - Fascination (Linus Loves Edit)
14 Celery Moon - Drugs v. 1
15 The Juan Maclean - Happy House (Prince Language Dub)
16 Pest - Pat Pong (Solid Groove Remix)
17 Martin Landsky - Man High
18 The Rapture - The Sound (Max Pask Mix)
19 Charles Schillings - Spin It Right
20 Infamous Upstarts - Everything In It's Wrong Place
21 Eric Prydz - Sweet Genesis
22 Kylie Minogue - Wow (Death Metal Disco Scene Remix)
23 Buy Now - Bodycrash
24 Hercules And Love Affair - Athene
25 Let's Get Invisible - Spices Of Love Chesty (C.M. Quick Edit)
26 The Teenagers - Sunset Beach (CFCF Remix)
27 Yannick Labbe - Gallieni (Skwerl Remix)
28 Midnight Juggernauts - Nine Lives
29 Autechre - Altibzz

March 17, 2008

Evil Nine

For no apparent reason, I picked up the 2005 release You Can Be Special Too by the group Evil Nine. I can't remember why I picked this up, but when I finally got around to listening to it, I was quite delighted; it pulls that UNKLE trick of swerving madly all over hip hop and hard driving breaks and rock'n'roll influences and wild samples, while still hanging together as a cohesive release. Aesop Rock guests on the first track, a track that sounds, uh, a lot like an Aesop Rock track, but the rest of the album just picks up from there.

Evil Nine - Earth
Evil Nine - We Have The Energy
Evil Nine - Hired Goons

Black Moon - I Got Cha Open (Rmx)
Alien Army - Scratchoetry
Enon - Making Merry! Merry!

March 14, 2008

Plastic Operator

I came across some very tasty electropop recently, from the band Plastic Operator, on last summer's release, Different Places. It's one of those albums that almost perfectly defines the genre.

Plastic Operator - The Pleasure Is Mine
Plastic Operator - Folder

Lali Puna - 603
Terranova - Just Enough (Stereo MC's Uncut Remix)
Luscious Jackson - Energy Sucker

March 12, 2008

Sigur Rós

I know we just featured some post-rock last week, but that reminded me - the archetypal wizards of post-rock, Sigur Rós, have a recent 2-disc set out, the first half of which is beautiful soundtrack music, the second half of which is stripped down versions of earlier tunes. As usual, it's a mesmerizing affair, and a reasonable place to get acquainted with their sound. From the 2007 release Hvarf/Heim.

Sigur Rós - Starálfur
Sigur Rós - Hljómalind

Head Set - grasping claw
RJD2 - Exotic Talk
Pigeonhed - Glory Bound

March 10, 2008

Aqualung

I admit it - I'm a sucker for the kind of theatrical indie rock that made Aqualung's first release such a treat. Fortunately, the most recent album, Memory Man, doesn't disappoint; it's still a little melodramatic in all the right ways, but on this outing, the energy is turned up a bit more - yum!

Aqualung - Pressure Suit
Aqualung - Something To Believe In

The Books - The Lemon Of Pink
Mouse On Mars - Spaceship
Figurine - Rewind

March 07, 2008

I-Wolf

For no apparent reason, I picked up the excellent 2004 release Soul Strata by I-Wolf, and found the record to be a pleasing collection of menacing downtempo with solid beats and soulful vocals. It's out of print apparently, but Amazon's got some inexpensive copies floating around, and of course, eMusic would be happy to sell you some mp3s if that's your thing. Apparently I-Wolf is a member of Sofa Surfers, a group I also enjoy, but this stuff seems a little darker and edgier.

I-Wolf - Falling
I-Wolf - Never Leave

"Awesome" - Where Did You Go
The Juan Maclean - Crush The Liberation
The Left Banke - Pretty Ballerina

March 05, 2008

Foxhole

Hmm, you mean people keep making new and interesting instrumental post-rock? Ok then! I will make a note of it. From the 2007 release We The Wintering Tree by Foxhole.

Foxhole - The End Of Dying
Foxhole - Spectacle

Negativland - The Smile You Can't Hide
DJ Language - Blue Miles
tunnel clones - southside

March 03, 2008

Oh Astro

On the 2007 release Champions Of Wonder, the electropop act Oh Astro serves up some deliriously good cut up treats that simultaneously manage to invoke the spirit of Ratatat and Akufen, while keeping a nice candy coating on the whole affair.

Oh Astro - Snow Queen
Oh Astro - Hello Fuji Boy

Looper - Pale Blue E-type
Ms. John Soda - Hands
Swordfish - The Get On (Chemical Brothers Mix)