« December 2007 | Main | February 2008 »

January 30, 2008

Hey Willpower

OK, it's guilty pleasure music, but so what? Hey Willpower make funky, electropop confections on their debut release, P.D.A. The band includes Will Schwartz of Imperial Teen, another band I consider a guilty pleasure, so I guess this isn't surprising, but still. When someone uses the lyric "party in my pants" with a straight face, it does give you momentary pause; however, in the tradition of bands like IQU and Cibo Matto, this is still pretty fun stuff, even if a little silly on occasion. The record's been out in Europe for a while; this new North American release includes a cover of the Architecture In Helsinki track, "Heart It Races."

Hey Willpower - Uh-Uh-Uh
Hey Willpower - In The Basement

holmes feat dragonfly - blue skies (sueno soul afromagic mix)
Alabama 3 - Reachin'
Treva Whateva - Singalong

January 28, 2008

Sia

Yup, Sia's got a new record out; there's nothing on it with the sheer potency of her Six Feet Under contribution "Breathe Me," but it's still a nice listen, especially if you've seen her live and can picture her little pixie self bopping and swaying on stage as she sings. From the album Some People Have Real Problems.

Sia - Beautiful Calm Driving
Sia - Electric Bird

DJ Cam - Mad Blunted Jazz
Michael Kamen & Orbital - The Main Access Corridor
Nitin Sawhney - The Pilgrim

January 25, 2008

Muscles

The first time I heard Muscles on KEXP, I practically spit my coffee out laughing, as the singer seemed to be chanting "Peace Love Ecstasy Unity Respect" with no trace of irony whatsoever, and I'm sorry, but that shit just cracks me up. However, I kept hearing different tracks from the album Guns Babes Lemonade, and eventually his infectious brand of dance pop started to win me over... especially because, as my wife pointed out, the gang vocals are vaguely reminiscent of TV On The Radio and add a nicely unpolished element to the otherwise shiny tracks. At any rate, it's a pretty light record, but it's also catchy and groovy, and gets the head bopping to be sure.

Muscles - Ice Cream
Muscles - The Lake

Plaid - Myopia
Balkan Beat Box - Delancy
Four Tet - Sleep, Eat Food, Have Visions

January 23, 2008

Midival Punditz

Another dose of Indian-influenced techno from Midival Punditz, on the soundtrack to a film called Let's Enjoy. It's not breaking any new ground, but some of these tracks are quite slamming; it's good to have another platter from these guys regardless.

Midival Punditz - Kesariya Baalam
Midival Punditz - Aa Yaaraan

Skopic - Bound By Sound
Bazille Noir - Songo
Awar - Insecurity Guards

January 21, 2008

PJ Harvey

Because I'm lazy, I only just got around to checking out the most recent PJ Harvey album, White Chalk, which came out last October. It's melancholy, wistful, and beautiful, hearkening back to Is This Desire but floating in a much more acoustic world than that record. I skipped Uh Huh Her altogether because I heard it was all freaky aggro and stuff, but then White Chalk landed in my lap, and reminded me that there's a whole side of PJ that I still find irresistible.

PJ Harvey - Grow Grow Grow
PJ Harvey - Silence

Anima Sound System - Hideg
The Numbs - Dedication
The Octopus Project + Black Moth Super Rainbow - Elq Milq

January 18, 2008

Aesop Rock

Indie hip hop act Aesop Rock is back with an excellent new release, None Shall Pass. It feels less experimental and a bit more hook-driven than his last record, but I'm not a purist about these matters and find the new release to be quite entertaining. Of course, I have no idea what he's talking about on these tracks half the time (and the other half, I'm not really listening to the lyrics), so your mileage may vary, but production by Blockhead throughout the record is nice, as is the cameo by El-P.

Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Aesop Rock - Catacomb Kids
Aesop Rock - 39 Thieves (feat. El-P)

The Rapture - Sister Saviour (Blackstrobe Remix)
Mellow - Goodbye
Raging Family - Landing In The Bay

January 16, 2008

The Dragons

Why is Ninja Tune suddenly releasing psychedelic rock albums? I don't know, but the 2007 release BFI by The Dragons is so retro or neo or whatever, it's uncanny. I don't think of myself as a psych rock kind of person, and there's nothing fancy here to connect this release to the rest of the Ninja Tune catalogue in some fashion; still, it's got charm by way of how much it veers away from any semblance of sounding modern.

The Dragons - Food For My Soul
The Dragons - Your Way Too

Yesterdays New Quintet - That Girl
Sufjan Stevens - Holland
Blue States - Adrift

January 14, 2008

People Press Play

It's been a while since we've stumbled across any new and interesting electropop from the lovely geniuses at Morr Music. (I suspect it's because my definition of "stumbling across" involves too high a percentage of "laziness," but I digress.) People Press Play hit the spot, however, with their 2007 release entitled - wait for it - People Press Play. This isn't the kind of music that leaps out and grabs you; it mostly just kind of swirls all around you, setting a mood and then escaping from you 38 minutes after it starts.

People Press Play - Girl
People Press Play - Hanging On

Rick Wright vs. the Orb - Runaway (Leggit Dub)
Jaga Jazzist - Day
DJ Shadow - Napalm Brain (Original Demo Beat)

January 11, 2008

Bracken

A little bit of weirdo psychedelic rocktronica today from Bracken, on their 2007 release We Know About The Need.

Wow, that first week back from vacation was exhausting! I already need a nap.

Bracken - Heathens
Bracken - Fight Or Flight
Bracken - Four Thousand Style

Peter Gabriel - Out Out (extended version)
Treva Whateva - Carpe Diem
Sebastien Tellier - Une Vie De Papa

January 09, 2008

Holy Fuck

Yes, the name of this band - Holy Fuck - is on the gimmicky side, but the music is thumping good dance rock, very reminiscent of the crazy mayhem of !!!. From the 2007 release LP.

Holy Fuck - Lovely Allen
Holy Fuck - The Pulse

The Orb - Toxygene
Passengers - Elvis Ate America
Zion Train - Venceremos

January 07, 2008

"Backspin: A Six Degrees 10 Year Anniversary Project"

Back from the holidays with an exciting little compilation from early last year called Backspin: A Six Degrees 10 Year Anniversary Project, in which various Six Degrees artists such as Midival Punditz, Banco de Gaia, Ojos de Brujo, The Real Tuesday Weld and others put their spin on old tracks by artists that influenced them: Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Cure, "and more!" As far as concept records go, this one's an unexpected treat.

Karsh Kale - Spirits In The Material World
dZihan & Kamien - Rockit

The Beta Band - Alleged
Masters At Work Featuring Wunmi - MAW Expensive (A Tribute To Fela)
D.a.f - Zvezdnaya