« November 2007 | Main | January 2008 »

December 25, 2007

Merry fucking Christmas

As is my tradition, I am going on a Christmas holiday from all blog posting, and won't be back until the week of January 8th. In the meantime, I leave you with my standard Christmas gift, which I figure at least a few of you haven't heard yet: a piece intended for SNL that never aired, featuring Steve Martin and Paul Simon performing the most demented version of "Silver Bells" you're likely to hear.

2007 was definitely not my favorite year on record. Here's hoping 2008 gets back to more of the ass kicking that I thought I was signed up for.

Steve Martin & Paul Simon - Silver Bells

December 21, 2007

Sixtoo

Time for some murky yet musical instrumental hip hop today, courtesy of Ninja Tune artist Sixtoo, on the 2007 release Jackals and Vipers in Envy of Man.

Sixtoo - Jackals and Vipers in Envy of Man, Part 4
Sixtoo - Jackals and Vipers in Envy of Man, Part 7
Sixtoo - Jackals and Vipers in Envy of Man, Part 9

Mocean Worker - Right Now
the impossible dreamers - spin
T. Raumschmiere - A Million Brothers (Blah Blah Blah)

December 19, 2007

Freezepop

I realize with their prominence in the Guitar Hero series (which, wtf??) that Freezepop hardly needs additional promotion. But... but they're just so cute! From the 2007 release Future Future Future Perfect.

Freezepop - Do You Like Boys?
Freezepop - Swimming Pool

Mombojo - Deixe-se acreditar
Snooz - the wave
Apparat - Silizium

December 17, 2007

Saul Williams

Saul Williams recently released a smoking hot new rock/hip hop album called The Inevitable Rise And Liberation Of Niggy Tardust! Actually, in an interview Williams refers to it as "ghetto gothic," which I get, and "hard-core dance," which I'm less sure about, but regardless, it's well worth a listen. The album was produced by Trent Reznor, and in the trendy new stylee, you can download the album for free or choose to kick in up to $5 to show your support for the artist.

Saul Williams - Sunday Bloody Sunday
Saul Williams - Skin Of A Drum
Saul Williams - Banged And Blown Through

23 Degrees - Born Of Earth's Torments
max melvin - satellite
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Favorite Things

December 14, 2007

Caribou

Swirling psychedelic mayhem today from Caribou, former IDM act turned stomping good live act with retro flair and experimental chops. When I first heard "Melody Day," I almost thought I was getting some lost Go! Team outtake, only recorded in 1968 or something. Wild! From the 2007 release Andorra.

Caribou - Melody Day
Caribou - After Hours

Camille - Vertige
Hooverphonic - Mad About You
Mekon - Something Came Up

December 12, 2007

The delightfully glitchtastic hip hop sounds of edIT are back, on the new release Certified Air Raid Material. If you're in the Seattle area, edIT is appearing at Neumos this weekend, with opener Kid Beyond - should be a fairly zany evening.

edIT - Battling Go-Go Yubari In Downtown L.A.
edIT - Artsy (Remix Ft The Grouch)

Pfly - fla
Stereo Total - Bad News from the stars
Shpongle - Room 23

December 10, 2007

Teargas & Plateglass

I realize I posted about Teargas & Plateglass fairly recently, but I didn't realize they were on the verge of releasing a new record after three years, and it's tasty enough that it's worth posting about separately. I'm not usually much of a goth techno kind of guy, but for some reason, Teargas & Plateglass escape the caricature of that sound and bring credibility to the approach. The new album is called Black Triage - which, you know, "oooh, spooky!," but still.

Teargas & Plateglass - One Day Across The Valley
Teargas & Plateglass - Simplify This Landscape With Darkness

PJ Harvey - Send His Love To Me
songs to wear pants to - little eeeee foo foo
Loop Guru - Tam Duugi

December 07, 2007

Yeasayer

I can't seem to get the song "2080" by Yeasayer out of my head, so I decided to see if the album, All Hour Cymbals, was as good as the single; I wasn't sure I'd enjoy an experimental folk rock album, but sometimes people surprise you. Thankfully, the album delivers an eclectic range of swirling vocals, unusual hooks, and warm and wistful playing.

Yeasayer - 2080
Yeasayer - Red Cave

Massive Attack - Teardrop (Scream Team Remix)
Komeda - Rocket Plane (Music On The Moon)
tosca tango orchestra - el cholulo

December 05, 2007

Decomposure

Decomposure is back with another album chock full of glitchtastic pop treats, entitled Vertical Lines A, ostensibly organized around the found sounds he collected while wandering through his daily life for several months. His lyrics go by so fast and are often so layered and chopped up that I can't speak for any particular theme on that front, but musically at least, this record manages to be aggressive yet sweet-sounding.

Decomposure - Hour 2
Decomposure - Hour 3
Decomposure - Hour 9

April March - Sad Little Bug
DJ Krush - Only the Strong Survive
Jaymz Bee & The Royal Jelly Orchestra - Superman's Song

December 03, 2007

Efterklang

Experimental post-orchestral goodness today from Efterklang, on the ensemble's new album, Parades. It's the second full-length expressionistic release by the group, and although they aren't breaking much new ground with this one, it's such interesting terrain that I don't mind revisiting this particular sound. People keep calling it "soundtrack rock" but I think those people should be slapped.

Efterklang - Polygyne
Efterklang - Horseback Tenors

Gianna Nannini - Contaminata (Apparat Rmx)
Moon Theory - Ruins