« October 2007 | Main | December 2007 »

November 30, 2007

Quio

Yeah, I know - we haven't posted any experimental hip hop from Berlin lately. OK, all better! From the 2007 release Phiu!, by the strageness known as Quio.

Quio - Bratwurst (Feat. Darius James And Kaisa Kemiskoski)
Quio - Rising Tide (Feat. Lise)
Quio - Mole (Feat. Lise)

Masada String Trio - Gurid
The Herbaliser Band - Goldrush
Easy Star All-Stars - Let Down (feat. Toots & The Maytals)

November 28, 2007

Digitalism

Hey, I sure did want a little more crunchy electronic goodness, this time in the form of the debut record by Digitalism. Entitled Idealism, the album continues the trend of adding more stomp and edge to the electronic form, nodding toward electropop without succumbing to that genre's candy-coated qualities.

Digitalism - I Want I Want
Digitalism - Idealistic
Digitalism - Anything New

Leonardo De Leonard - Erhu Style
Michael Armstrong - 2+2=5
King Missile - Sensitive Artist

November 26, 2007

The Octopus Project

Weirdo indie rockers The Octopus Project put out a record recently called Hello, Avalanche that is well worth a listen. I saw them live a couple weeks ago, and I have to say, Yvonne Lambert plays a theremin like nobody's business - holy moly! If you're going to face the world as an experimental rocktronica outfit, putting a virtuoso theremin player front and center is a perfect move. The boys play pretty good too, but Lambert steals the show. Meanwhile, even when the theremin is not front and center in the mix (as on the tracks highlighted here), the ensemble is engagingly unusual.

The Octopus Project - Bees Bein' Strugglin'
The Octopus Project - Ghost Moves

Mandalay - Not Seventeen
The Ogyatanaa Show Band - Disco Africa (Quantic Remix)
William Orbit - Humming Chorus

November 23, 2007

Architecture In Helsinki

Maniacal experimental pop today from Architecture In Helsinki, on the 2007 release Places Like This. What is it with artists releasing albums that are only half an hour long? I realize CDs have brought on album bloat but I'm pretty sure the sweet spot is longer than 31:35 for a full length (and full price) release. At any rate, at least this sliver is tasty.

Architecture In Helsinki - Debbie
Architecture In Helsinki - Same Old Innocence

Cibo Matto - Aguas de Marco
Photek - UFO
21st Century Aura - Something Started

November 21, 2007

Trentemøller

Weirdo ambient dubster Trentemøller has a new 2cd-set out called The Trentemøller Chronicles, collecting remixes, rare vinyl stuff, and the stray live track or two. The first disc is focused on his own stuff; the second focuses on his remixes for the likes of Moby, The Knife, Röyksopp, "and more!" This may not be the perfect introduction to his work, given that it's a bit all over the place in terms of tone, but it's more than worth a quick listen if you get a chance.

Trentemøller - Snowflake (Live Version)
Trentemøller - Moan (Trentemøller Remix Radio Edit)
Röyksopp - What Else Is There? (Trentemøller Remix)

Cocteau Twins - Pitch the Baby
Splashdown - Ironspy
The Pinker Tones - Mais Pourquois?

November 19, 2007

The Aliens

I feel dumb for not noticing The Aliens sooner than today, but there it is; I also feel dumb for drinking vats of cleaning fluid and calling it "my medicine," but that hasn't stopped me. The Aliens are a weirdo indie rock group comprised of several members of The Beta Band (RIP), and so I am contractually obligated to describe The Aliens by comparing them directly to The Beta Band. Here goes: "The Aliens are funkier, jam band-ier, and ELO-ier than the Betas!" There, I'm done. From the 2007 release Astronomy For Dogs.

The Aliens - Robot Man
The Aliens - I Am The Unknown

As a bonus, the band's web site offers this tantalizing remix:

The Aliens - Robot Man (Hot Chip remix)

Madlib The Beat Konducta - The Forest (Greens)
Tricky - Hell Is Around The Corner (The Hell and Water Mix)
Black Cab - Hey People

November 16, 2007

I don't normally like straight up indie rock, but Soft makes such swirly, candy-coated sounds with their geetars that I just can't help it. From the band's 2007 debut Gone Faded.

Soft - Gone Faded

Mmm, here's a delightful little electro-glam-pop thingie by new artist Cannonball Jane, from the 2007 EP Knees Up!

Cannonball Jane - Take It To Fantastic (Smash Hit Radio Remix)

And here's a snazzy little global acid jazz thingie from Alien Chatter, via their 2007 release Invasion EP 1 on Six Degrees Records. The label says this EP " conveys a sophisticated blend of contemporary jazz piano, and Indian music laced with electronica." I still kind of prefer "global acid jazz thingie," but regardless, give this one a shot.

Alien Chatter - When Worlds Collide

Fun-Da-Mental - B4 I Leave
Rasputina - Yellow Fever
Boards of Canada - Kaini Industries

November 14, 2007

Loch Lomond

Just in case you need more sweet, quiet, intensely lyrical chamber folk in your life, you might consider Loch Lomond, whose 2007 release Paper The Walls caught me by surprise. I'm just not much of a "folk" kind of person, but it seems like there's a tipping point where if enough strings and chorale vocals are involved, I succumb; this record, at 36.5 minutes, seems like it just scratches the surface before it's over.

Loch Lomond - Carl Sagan
Loch Lomond - Stripe II

Broken Social Scene - Canada Vs. America
Destroy All Dreamers - Sombrer dans la folie
hugo maldoro - i know a little cuban

November 12, 2007

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra

Every now and then, an album comes out that radically changes the face of popular music, and causes dramatic paradigm shifts in how we think about music as an art form. The new album by Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra, entitled Hits the Hits, is not that album. However, it's pretty awesome.

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Get UR Freak On
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Toxic
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Rehab

Miles Davis - I Dont Wanna Be Kissed (By Anyone But You)
The Orb - Occidental
Lydia Lunch - Touch My Evil

November 09, 2007

Cine Mad In Chaos

Why, of course I'm in the mood for some weirdo ambient dub! This is from the mysterious artist/band Cine Mad In Chaos, who appear to have no independent web presence, from his/her/their 2007 release Coconutz In The Air. It was released by the Brazilian techno label High End Records, if that helps clear up the air of mystery.

Cine Mad In Chaos - Before Mister Chang Died
Cine Mad In Chaos - All The Mix

Cypress Hill - Rock Superstar
Sneaker Pimps - The Fuel
Mr Scruff - Giffin

November 07, 2007

Great Northern

On the 2007 release Trading Twilight For Daylight, the group Great Northern offers up a lovely set of chamber rock tunes, with wistful, slightly theatrical flourishes, lush vocals, and occasional hints of electronics to mix things up.

Great Northern - Our Bleeding Hearts
Great Northern - Just A Dream
Great Northern - Low Is A Height

Anthea - Deeper [Downbeats Mix]
Daft Punk - Burnin
Ratatat - Seventeen Years

November 05, 2007

Monster Bobby

We saw Monster Bobby open for The Pipettes last Thursday night (he plays guitar and writes songs for the girl group, in case you didn't know), and I have to say, he had the under-21 half of the all ages show twittering with delight. (Those of us on the over-21 half of the room were too cool and adult to twitter, but we managed to have fun.) I chalk it up to a combination of his British accent, his "roguish charm" (which is derived in part from the aforementioned accent and in part from his self-deprecating sense of humor), and of course, his wacktastic music, which I would describe as "experimental indie folktronica". Please to enjoy a few short bursts from his insanely brief 32-minute album, Gaps, and if you get a chance, his live set (as well as The Pipettes') is worth dragging yourself out of your cave to enjoy.

Monster Bobby - The Closest Experience To That Of Being With You Is The Experience Of Taking Drugs
Monster Bobby - I Live For Your Fleeting Touch

Roisin Murphy - Night Of The Dancing Flame
Archie Shepp - Blues for Brother George Jackson
Extended Spirit - Caprice

November 02, 2007

L'Altra

L'Altra provides a lush and intricate set of indie trip hop that really swept me away, on the 2005 release Different Days.

L'Altra - Sleepless Night