« June 2007 | Main | August 2007 »

July 30, 2007

The Chemical Brothers

OK, Chemical Brothers, I forgive you. After the serious disappointment of their last album, their new release, We Are The Night, is much more my speed. Oh sure, it doesn't reach the heights of Come With Us, but it's definitely a step back in the right direction, an evolution of sound that comes off sounding fresher than I expected. It wasn't a terrible idea to get the Klaxons involved, either. Whew, that was close!

The Chemical Brothers - All Rights Reserved (feat. Klaxons)
The Chemical Brothers - Burst Generator

I believe this track here is only on the Japanese version of the album; I'm including it because even though it doesn't have the big stomp of some of the other great tracks on the album, it really got under my skin while I was listening to it.

The Chemical Brothers - Seal

Alexkid - Don't hide it (Wink's Acid Pussy Interpretations)
Madlib The Beat Konducta - Sir Bang (Bounce)
Violet Indiana - Rage Days

July 27, 2007

Matthew Dear

Matthew Dear just released a quirky little electropop record called Asa Breed. While I don't believe it's the second coming of pop as some critics have claimed, it's certainly a tasty (if slight) record, well worth checking out.

Matthew Dear - Fleece On Brain
Matthew Dear - Elementary Lover
Matthew Dear - Don And Sherri

Technicolor - Escaping The Game Grid
Jak and Stepper - Senda
The Free Design - I Found Love (Styrofoam & Sarah Shannon Mix)

July 25, 2007

Sandor Caron

Space, jam band-esque ambient techno today by Sandor Caron, from the 2001 release Harmonica and Cross. The whole album kind of drifts past in a weird haze, but the album's highlight is "Ricardo" - a swirling, steadily unfolding track that catches you by surprise.

Sandor Caron - Z-Head
Sandor Caron - Harmonica And Cross
Sandor Caron - Ricardo

Anima Sound System - Mamo
Björk - All Is Full Of Love (Choice Mix)
DJ Stix - Farmers On Acid

July 23, 2007

Nostalgia 77

In the midst of all this "nujazz," it's useful to remember that, hey, actual jazz also has its charms, as witnessed on the new release by Nostalgia 77, entitled Everything Under The Sun.

Nostalgia 77 - Stop To Make A Change
Nostalgia 77 - Everything Under The Sun

Little Lord Creator - Crying Blood
Two Banks Of Four - Two Miles Before Dawn
The Forest Wilds - Dekstner

July 20, 2007

Ulrich Schnauss

The music of Ulrich Schnauss is approximately the dreamiest in the universe. Here's some more of it! From the 2007 release Goodbye.

Ulrich Schnauss - Shine
Ulrich Schnauss - Stars

Diagram of Suburban Chaos - Cheetah
Future Sound of London - Everyone in the World is Doing Something Without Me
Freestylers - In Love With You (feat. Corrina Greyson)

July 18, 2007

Groove Armada

The new Groove Armada album, Soundboy Rock, is a perfectly enjoyable little dance record, even offering a few stylistic surprises on occasion. But the tracks I was most drawn to were this set of emotional pieces, which makes me a sap, I know, but they also help break up the record and elevate it just a bit.

Groove Armada - What's Your Version
Groove Armada - Paris
Groove Armada - From The Rooftops

Yoko Kanno (and Seatbelts) - Radio Free Mars Talk 3
Banco de Gaia - Glove Puppet
Gang Gang Dance - God's Money VII

July 16, 2007

Thomas Fehlmann

Thomas Fehlmann is a renowned electronic musician with a pedigree that goes back all the way to the '70s. (That's right, kids, electronica did not spring fully formed out of Moby's big bald head.) Nevertheless, now that I'm finished regurgitating wikiknowledge, I'm left with the fact that my primary awareness of Fehlmann is via The Orb, that seemingly timeless collective that has put out reams and reams of quality ambient and IDM over the years. As a longtime Orb fan, I approached Fehlmann's new album with an almost childlike curiosity (in other words, clueless ignorance); luckily for me, hey, it's excellent! From the 2007 release Honigpumpe, on the Kompakt label.

Thomas Fehlmann - Schaum
Thomas Fehlmann - Little Big Horn (Liegend)

ccc - Sleeping
King Tubby - Burn A Challawa
Mountain of Hadith - Scarab

July 13, 2007

Telefon Tel Aviv

The new remix collection from Telefon Tel Aviv has some nice treats on it. It's a reasonably chill affair overall as you'd expect, with appearances by Bebel Gilberto, American Analog Set, and a surprisingly reserved take on a Nine Inch Nails track; if you're a fan of their techno downtempo, this is definitely a good addition to their catalog, with some nice sweeping moments that elevate the proceedings above a simple "chill out" comp.

Apparat - Komponent (Telefon Tel Aviv remix)
Ammoncontact - Bbq Plate (Telefon Tel Aviv remix)
Marc Hellner - Asleep On The Wing (Telefon Tel Aviv remix)

DJ Vadim - Your Revolution
Terranova - Chase The Blues (Domecracker Remix)
Steve Reich - Drumming (Mantronik Maximum Drum Formula)

July 12, 2007

Oh yeah, and by the way...

On July 12, 2004, Comfort Music burst onto the MP3 blog scene (where "burst" is loosely defined as "emerged from under a rock and helplessly cried for attention"). Three years later to the day, we're still kicking. To commemorate three years of Comfort Music, we tried a redesign contest. However, although we received several interesting submissions, we didn't see anything we felt really captured the spirit of Comfort Music as much as the Shiny New Redesign we implemented today. That's right - here at Comfort Music, we want your eyes to bleed as much as your ears.

Anyway, thanks for continuing to show up each week. If you haven't noticed this link in the right nav, you can check out a complete list of all the artists we've ever posted about on the blog. Give a shout out to Llew, who keeps the gears churning on the technical side. As for me, if I'm still writing this blog three years from now, you'll know an important part of me has withered and died, but truly, I do it for the children.

Blonde Redhead

I enjoyed the heck out of the new Blonde Redhead album, 23, for a number of reasons, most notably because it bears such a striking resemblance to the old Lush albums I used to enjoy. I'm sure there are other reasons worth mentioning - in particular, this album struck me as a lot more forceful and engaging than their last one - but that's the one that keeps surfacing every time I hear these tracks. Swirling guitars, ethereal vocals, interesting melodies - this one's very much up my alley.

Blonde Redhead - SW
Blonde Redhead - 23

Jadell - Hell, Yeah!
Freescha - Drive Me Wide
Ratatat - Kennedy

July 09, 2007

The Polyphonic Spree

The new release from The Polyphonic Spree is called The Fragile Army, and although the iterative development in their sound is modest (toward a slightly more musical theatre approach), it's still essentially "more of a good thing" and worth investigating. If you're unfamiliar with the group's wildly multi-instrumental / vocal choir approach, this is as good a place as any to start.

The Polyphonic Spree - Section 24 [The Fragile Army]
The Polyphonic Spree - Section 28 [Guaranteed Nightlite]

"Awesome" - Are You Aware
Dsico That No-Talent Hack - Stars In The City (Magic Daddy Mix)
Second Ammendment Band - Backtalk

July 06, 2007

Helios

On the 2006 release Eignya by Helios, we're treated to a pastoral set of lovely ambient music, with enough acoustic touches to make it a warm and human sound.

Helios - Bless This Morning Year
Helios - The Toy Garden
Helios - Sons Of Light And Darkness

Fred Avril - Velvet Blues
The Rapture - Whoo! Alright - Yeah... Uh Huh
Aesop Rock - Frijoles

July 04, 2007

Miracle Fortress

On the curious new debut from Miracle Fortress, called Five Roses, we're treated to a lush and ethereal sound very reminiscent of a less insane-sounding Of Montreal. Similar vocal stylings, similar one-man-band musicianship, and a light yet well produced sound are the hallmarks here; it's a quirky kind of indie pop, right up my alley.

Miracle Fortress - Have You Seen In Your Dreams
Miracle Fortress - Maybe Lately
Miracle Fortress - Hold Your Secrets To Your Heart

Aiko Shimada - Mezame (Morning, Pt. 1)
Daedelus - Dumbfound (Subtitle Remix)
Ani DiFranco - Come Away From It

July 02, 2007

The Cinematic Orchestra

I just finished listening to the new Zero 7 album, which is quite nice, except for the fact that it's the new Cinematic Orchestra album. OK, I exaggerate slightly, but on the Cinematic Orchestra release, Ma Fleur, we're treated to an abrupt departure from the inventive trip hop sounds of previous records. Instead, we're treated to an array of lush, melancholic ballads, including one that features a welcome appearance on vocals by Lou Rhodes. (Memo to Lamb: Please go back in time and do not break up. Thank you.) As a stylistic departure, I'm willing to go along with this, but I do hope this is a momentary departure from their signature sound and not a permanent one.

The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build A Home
The Cinematic Orchestra - As The Stars Fall
The Cinematic Orchestra - Time & Space

Bassnectar - Skin (featuring Suga)
Boom Boom Satellites - Looking Glass