« February 2007 | Main | April 2007 »

March 30, 2007

Dead Heart Bloom

I rarely ever go for singer-songwriter stuff any more; indeed, even the packaging of the new EP by Dead Heart Bloom seemed to reek of the kind of austere sincerity that typically drives me nuts. Imagine my surprise, then, at the lush harmonies that instantly greeted me on the first track, the pleasing electric piano that occasionally surfaces, and the lead vocals that are enjoyably reminiscent of a young George Harrison. This EP, Chelsea Diaries, written & performed by Boris Skalsky (with the exception of the slide guitar on the first track here), certainly has its earnest streak, but it also displays a deft, wistful touch that caught me off guard and pulled me in. The whole EP, and the debut release, is free for the downloading if'n you like.

Dead Heart Bloom - Who Will You Love
Dead Heart Bloom - Chelsea Song #2

March 28, 2007

!!!

Today brings a guest post from Comfort pal Laura, who writes:

"If I was a rock band I'd want to be !!! (Chk Chk Chk). The new album Myth Takes is similar past releases (rock with an electronic bent). It's the kinda music that makes me think of being at a live show on the dance floor shaking my booty waving my arms not caring that everyone's sweating, bumping into me, spilling beer down my back... who cares did you hear that funky bass line, oh the distortion, the drums, the catchy rhythm guitar, all the sound layered up making for a delicious piece of music pie. !!! might make a high-end fan of me yet."

!!! - Myth Takes
!!! - Yadnus
!!! - Bend Over Beethoven

Bowery Electric - black light (osymyso mix)
DELTRON 3030 - love story
Tranquility Bass - Let The Freak Flag Fly

March 26, 2007

Ellen Allien

If you're a fan of Ellen Allien, her latest mix CD, The Other Side Berlin, does not disappoint. The fourth entry in a series produced by Time Out, this new comp offers you a range of tracks that Allien associates with Berlin, starting off with David Bowie's German language version of "Heroes", and touching on Terranova and Tricky, Carl Craig, Plastikman, AGF / Delay, and Allien's collaboration with Apparat, among many other treats. A bonus DVD takes you on an actual tour of Berlin, as well as providing a crazy video for Allien's track "Down", the highlight of which is a ping pong match played by two enormous men in which their jiggling bellies are the paddles (true story!). All in all, this record is a thumping techno treat, well worth checking out.

Booka Shade - In White Rooms (Neo Mix)
Quarks - Königin
Miss Kittin - Neukolln 2

Craig Armstrong - My Father
Torch Song - Raphael
Tabla Beat Science - Palmistry

March 23, 2007

Spaccanapoli

One small treasure I rediscovered during my big "rerip all my CDs" project was the band Spaccanapoli, who delivered a spirited set of modern Italian music that definitely got my attention. I don't think of Comfort Radio as much of a "world music" station, but this is the kind of stuff that seems to fit right in alongside weirdo hip hop and slamming techno. From the album Lost Souls, released back in 2000 on Real World Records.

Spaccanapoli - Aneme Perze
Spaccanapoli - A' Ferriera
Spaccanapoli - Santa Notte

March 21, 2007

Komeda

For no apparent reason, I decided to buy the 1996 release The Genius Of Komeda by the Swedish band Komeda. A leetle sticker on the case helpfully informed me that the group "combines the fresh sounds of Stereolab and the Cardigans with 60's exotica to deliver an odd pop sound not found anywhere else". I eventually picked up one of their later albums, which of course has a more polished sound, but this is near the root, and still worth checking out.

Komeda - More Is More
Komeda - Fire
Komeda - Disko

Kid Koala - Roboshuffle
Amon Tobin - The Nasty
DJ Krush - Most Wanted Man

March 19, 2007

Lullatone

Lullatone makes "tiny songs", lullabies for grown-ups as it were. Their 2006 release, Plays Pajama Pop Pour Vous, is a quiet little treat. I guess some folks might think this music is too precious, what with its toy instruments and deliberate 4-track analog cassette mastering, but I am looking forward to hearing this in rotation on the station as a lovely diversion from the bombast I typically program.

Lullatone - Bedroom Bossa Band
Lullatone - Thoughts And Clouds

Disposable Heros of Hiphoprisy - Language of Violence
Luscious Jackson - Mood Swing
Autour De Lucie - Sagrada Familia

March 16, 2007

For no apparent reason, please enjoy these wildly disparate cover tunes. That is all.

Laptop - It's Still Rock'N'Roll To Me, from the album Opening Credits
Michael Schiefel - Synchronicity I, from the album I Don't Belong
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Ray Of Light, from the album Ray Of Light

March 14, 2007

Lusine

It's always interesting to review a remix album before you hear the original music, but in today's remix culture, it's an occupational hazard I'm willing to accept. On the forthcoming Lusine remix record Podgelism, we're treated to some crunchy, occasionally minimalistic IDM from an array of fine producers, including Matthew Dear, Lawrence, Robag Wruhme and others. I'm typically willing to give anything on the Ghostly International imprint a listen; as usual, they do not disappoint. The label is offering another track here.

Lusine - Drip (Apparat remix)
Lusine - Make It Easy (John Tejada remix)
Lusine - Flat (Cepia remix)

Craig Armstrong - Balcony Scene (Romeo and Juliet)
Laika - Badtimes (Peel Session)
Transglobal Underground - Sky Giant

March 12, 2007

DJ Cutler

An entertaining little hip hop mix crossed my path recently. The Scion Audio/Visual label apparently showcases all kinds of interesting artists; past vinyl releases have featured the likes of GZA, Raekwon, Mr Scruff, Peanut Butter Wolf, and others. They sponsor contests allowing upcoming DJs to put mixes together; they're up to v.16 by DJ Cutler, the one that I just heard, which I wound up enjoying a fair bit. It's not experimental or far out or crazy (which is how I typically enjoy my hip hop), it's just entertaining and features the Breakestra, and sometimes that's just fine. Stream the whole thing here.

Masta Killa - Brooklyn King (Instrumental)
Breakestra - Family Rap (Instrumental)/X-Now exclusive (a cappella)
Giant Panda - T.K.O. Megamix
Noble Truth - Jungle V.I.P.

Karma Sutra - Robbery Of Vibrations
Death in Vegas - Death Threat
Air - Le Soleil est Pres De Moi

March 09, 2007

Dosh

I wrote about Dosh's last album fairly recently, but I got all excited when I saw a new Dosh album in Sonic Boom recently, and had to share the love. It's half live album, half apparently new material, and I have to say, the live stuff sizzles. I originally described Dosh's sound as fusing experimental jazz, prog rock, and electropop; that remains true, but somehow it never seems excessive. From the 2007 release Triple Rock.

Dosh - The Lost Take
Dosh - Fireball

March 07, 2007

chapeau claque

Want some interesting German indiepop? Look no further than chapeau claque (although if you want information about the band, you'll be looking for a long time). From the 2007 release Hand aufs herz.

chapeau claque - Milchschaum der Musik
chapeau claque - Verschlossenes Lachen
chapeau claque - Zigeunerliebe

The Art Of Noise - the holy egoism of genius
Art Blakey Quintent - A Night In Tunisia
Delarosa and Asora - Paz Suite 2

March 05, 2007

Lo-Fi-Fnk

If you're like me, you're occasionally in the mood for goofy, danceable fun. (Of course, if you're like me, you need regular bathings in vinegar and lye to keep the hatred from oozing out and destroying your house, but that's a different story.) Well, if that's your thing, Lo-Fi-Fnk have a groovy little EP out called Boylife that is worth a quick listen. The tracks here have simple aspirations: to make you bop your head and tap your feet. Is that so wrong?

Lo-Fi-Fnk - City
Lo-Fi-Fnk - The End

Boards of Canada - wildlife analysis
Dynamic Syncopation - No Qualms
Deee-Lite - Call Me (Method-One 1994)

March 02, 2007

Feist

I realize this has been amply discussed elsewhere, but I can't help it; I just got around to picking up the Feist remix album, and it's simply so enjoyable to listen to that I had to post about it anyway. Sorry! From the 2006 release Open Season: Remixes and Collabs.

Feist - Lonely Lonely (Frisbee'd Mix)
Feist - Mushaboom (Postal Service Mix)
Feist - Gatekeeper (Do Right Mix)