« December 2006 | Main | February 2007 »

January 31, 2007

Trentemøller

Heard some interesting new ambient dub on KEXP the other day, which is rather an anomaly given their playlists these days. It's by Danish artist Trentemøller, and it's got some clever grooves to keep it lively. From the 2006 release The Last Resort.

Trentemøller - Take Me Into Your Skin
Trentemøller - Always Something Better
Trentemøller - While The Cold Winter Waiting

Tabla Beat Science - Trajic
Perry Farrell - Did You Forget
Doug Wimbish - Will & Skip

January 29, 2007

MIDIval PunditZ

MIDIval PunditZ recently put out a new EP of remixes called - wait for it - MIDIval PunditZ Remixed, bringing a new level of high energy goodness to their already yummy Indian techno sound. I suppose with enough quality time on Google, I could figure out the deal with the extra capital letters in the band's name; as it stands, I think I'll just pass on the recommendation to check this out if you're into solid Asian dance music.

MIDIval PunditZ - Ali (Tapan's Deep Blue Mix)
MIDIval PunditZ - Raanjhan (Jalebee Bass for Breakfast Mix)

Bongwater - Kisses Sweeter Than Wine
Ani DiFranco - Asking Too Much
Bahamadia - Wordplay

January 26, 2007

Jensen Sportag

The unsigned act Jensen Sportag recently sent me their new record, cleverly entitled - wait for it - Jensen Sportag, and I have to say, I am dutifully impressed. No less a notable than Max Tundra (the artist who inspired me to start this blog) claims, "Every time I listen to Jensen Sportag I love it more." I can see why; this is crazy, iconoclastic, over-the-top techno, taking no prisoners and fucking with your frequency in numerous ways. In fact, I was going to include the track "Japanese Zombie Schoogirls" in today's post, but I thought it might make some of you cry, so I have stuck with some safer tracks. Please to be checking it out.

Jensen Sportag - Graves
Jensen Sportag - Just A Part Of Me
Jensen Sportag - Going Nowhere (feat. Kirk Cornelius)

January 24, 2007

Deerhoof

Crazy art rockers Deerhoof have a new record out entitled Friend Opportunity. It's crazy! I have a pile of older Deerhoof on my MP3 player that comes up on shuffle all the time; as a consequence, though, I don't really know which of their older albums I like the best. However, the sound on this record somehow manages to seem just a little more polished and refined, while still remaining, as I mentioned, crazy!

Deerhoof - The Perfect Me
Deerhoof - +81
Deerhoof - The Galaxist

Cibo Matto - Sing This All Together
Dipstick - Rocket Ride
Dimitri From Paris - Le Moogy Reggae

January 22, 2007

Kid Beyond

Modern acappella recordings sometimes get so tricked out that they're basically techno records, using the human voice as source material but winding up very far removed from a sound you could imagine a group performing on stage. Kid Beyond is notable for his ability to interact with multiple laptops and foot pedals galore to create live vocal trip hop music all by his lonesome, which is apparently something to see; meanwhile, his EP, Amplivate, is notable for being damnably musical and slick. It's four original tracks, followed by four remixes, and overall, it leaves you wanting more.

Kid Beyond - Wandering Star
Kid Beyond - Deep Inside

Fusonic - Base
Blackalicious - brain washers Featuring Ben Harper
IIO - Rapture [Soulside Mix]

January 19, 2007

Administrivia / Friday grab bag

I don't know why, but several people recently have left comments asking me to respond in some way, but then provided bad email addresses. If you actually want to contact me directly for some reason (sending promos, questions about music, absurdist taunting), please email me at scotto at comfortradio.org and I will do something or nothing depending on my mood. On a general note, you might also be interested in our mailing list, which is a low-traffic, reasonable-signal chat list for random musings about music; to subscribe, click here. It's not moderated per se, but if you are annoying, we will zap you right off.

And now, on with the grab bag...

I'd never heard of Charlotte Hatherley until Warren Ellis posted a link to the video for this song on his blog; seeing the video (which is beautiful to look at, by the way) got this song firmly lodged in my head. Now, I pass on the love to you. From the 2006 Behave EP.

Charlotte Hatherley - Behave

This Boom Bip track came up on my MP3 player recently and made me swoon with delight. It's just so silky and pretty. From the 2005 release Blue Eyed in the Red Room.

Boom Bip - Dos And Donts (with Gruff Rhys)

And this song is really so self-explanatory that even writing this sentence is overkill. From the 2000 release Karen Mantler's Pet Project.

Karen Mantler - My Cat Arnold Is Dead

January 17, 2007

Mekon

I recently stumbled across an extremely entertaining little dance comp called Relax With Mekon, released back in 2000 by - wait for it - Psychic TV alum Mekon. At 48 minutes, it's short'n'sweet, but each track is well worth a listen. My favorite is "Calm Gunshot", a track that is pleasingly reminiscent of stompers like Pigeonhed's "Battleflag".

Marc Almond - Out Of My Soul
Jacques Lu Cont - Eurostar
Lesley Winer - Calm Gunshot

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - What I did for love
Amon Tobin - Rosies
Alpha - Wishes

January 15, 2007

Camille

The 2006 release Le Fil by French singer Camille caught me completely off guard; it's one of those albums that sat on my wish list long enough that I forgot why I wanted it in the first place. From the opening seconds, however, I was hooked. Camille uses techniques of modern acappella, including clever arranging and skillful beatboxing, along with very strategically placed instrumentation (a bass guitar here, a trombone there), to pull off a slick and delicious treat of a record. It's a little reminiscent of early Zap Mama, but with a nice edge to it; the last track here even has a nice Queen vibe to it. Of special note: a single resonant tone is held throughout the entire album, taking its place in each arrangement in the background. It's kind of eerie once you notice it.

Camille - Ta douleur
Camille - Au port
Camille - Pâle septembre

Bono, Gavin Friday and Maurice Seezer - Children Of The Revolution
Brian Eno & David Byrne - America Is Waiting
DJ Food - minitoka

January 12, 2007

Christopher Willits

I try to pay attention to new releases from Ghostly International, but this one apparently slipped through the cracks, and I wound up learning about it from my sekrit sources (otherwise known as the interweb). Christopher Willits has released an album of well-orchestrated experimental ambient jazz, if you can dig that. Reminded me of the recent album by Dosh, or some of the yummier Efterklang that comes up on my MP3 player occasionally. From the 2006 release Surf Boundaries.

Christopher Willits - Medium Blue
Christopher Willits - Yellow Spring

January 10, 2007

Fog People

The debut album from Seattle-based goth band Fog People landed in my grubby hands recently (not surprisingly, given that the band provided theme musics for my video series, CHERUB). Entitled City of Night, it's full of "slow, dark electronic music" that's designed to make you feel all naughty and stuff. I personally do not hang out in what the kids are calling "sex clubs", but I imagine this is the kind of album the DJ in such an establishment would be spinning while the patrons are falling down from dosing each other with GHB. Numerous local musicians make appearances on the record, including to my delight members of The Fading Collection, whom I heart. This album works best when it's aggressively blending grunge and goth; some of these tracks remind me of good Curve songs that have been slowed down and drenched in the patented "bad part of town at 3 a.m." Pro Tools plug-in.

Fog People - Secret Dream
Fog People - Ms. Mad Love
Fog People - With Kisses

DJ Cam - Millenium
Ani DiFranco - Hour Follows Hour
DJ Krush - Meiso

January 08, 2007

Johnny Boy

I have returned from my vacation in the land of slack; let the rejoicing commence.

Johnny Boy is the kind of band that I can just easily imagine lip syncing their big hit on some American Bandstand-style show while teeny-boppers do the frug and sneak off to get high in the bathroom. I kept waiting and waiting for a domestic release of their debut album so I wouldn't have to pay import prices, but that happy day never arrived; thank goodness for Christmas gift certs!

Johnny Boy - You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve
Johnny Boy - Johnny Boy Theme