« November 2006 | Main | January 2007 »

December 25, 2006

Merry fucking Christmas

I am going on a long holiday starting this week, and won't be posting again until January 8th. It's been a great year overall, but for the next couple weeks, I am off the grid.

I do not post year end "best of" lists because everything I post is fundamentally awesome, but if you can't find one on the interweb somewhere to amuse you until I get back, here is a list of every artist or act ever featured on Comfort Music.

In the meantime, here's a quick treat: a 16th century Spanish Christmas carol, given a beautiful acappella rendition by The Monkees. Chip Douglas (their producer during the period in which they took control of their music) sings on this version with the four lads; the result is shimmering and haunting. Translation can be found here.

The Monkees - Riu Chiu

And of course, as is my holiday tradition, please enjoy this low quality rendition of "Silver Bells", performed by Steve Martin and Paul Simon for a Saturday Night Live sketch that, not surprisingly, never aired (courtesy of April Winchell's weirdass site). It warms the very cockles of the frozen black hunk of coal inside my chest I call my heart.

Steve Martin & Paul Simon - Silver Bells

This is Comfort Music, signing off for 2006. See you next year.

December 22, 2006

"Nordic Roots 2"

My project to unearth interesting music in my CD collection that I'd basically forgotten about is nearly complete, and it's been worth the effort. Just this week I came across a couple of great tracks on a compilation called Nordic Roots 2, put out by a rather awesome label, NorthSide, several years ago. The comp covers a wide spread of interesting sounds, from traditional to experimental, but these tracks in particular seemed worth dusting off and shoving into the spotlight. You can get the CD for a mere $5, and Nordic Roots 3 is also rather good (never got the first one for some reason).

Groupa - Lavalek
Hoven Droven - Brekken

December 20, 2006

Enigma

In 2001, Enigma released Love Sensuality Devotion - The Remix Collection, which I ignored; in 2006, this collection is getting a reissue, and I decided enough time had passed that I wanted to check it out. To me, Enigma is in that unfortunate position of so clearly and definitively establishing a certain sound - as early as 1990, in fact - that years later, aspects of that sound are thoroughly cliche due to being ripped off so often and so heavily (I'm sorry, did someone mention Delerium?). But I still remember enjoying that first Enigma album, and in particular, I remember picking up the cassette single of "Sadeness (Part 1)", specifically to get the "Violent U.S. Remix". So it was with trepidation that I checked out the remix collection, wondering how that track might have stood the test of time. Amazingly, all these years later, it still kind of kicks ass, as do many of the remixes on this album, collected from throughout Enigma's impressive career. I'm no particular fan of club music ordinarily, but this is one collection that's worth a listen.

Enigma - Return To Innocence [380 Midnight Mix]
Enigma - Sadeness (Part 1) [Violent U.S. Remix]

Bowery Electric - Without Stopping
Blackalicious & DJ Shadow - Swan Lake
The Art Of Noise - approximate mood swing no2

December 18, 2006

Ursula

It's that time again - time for some completely bizarro ambient music that may or may not suit your fancy. Occasionally I just find myself craving weirdo stuff like this. From the 2005 release Autoayuda Emocional.

Ursula - La illusion de los debiles
Ursula - Pequenas torturas occidentales

Sofa Surfers - Sofa Rockers (Richard Dorfmeister Remix)
Hiroshi & K.U.D.O. Ft DJ Milo - Version Jump Track
Kenji Williams - Tokyo Story

December 15, 2006

You didn't know you needed a helical scan... but Dascyllus did.

Dascyllus - Helical Scan

The Presets have a great little remix EP out called Resets, featuring the likes of The Juan Maclean, Cut Copy, and Simian Mobile Disco. Here's a standout from the collection.

The Presets - Down Down Down (Midnight Juggernauts Remix)

Here's a sweet little slice of funk from the 1999 release You, My Baby & I, by Alex Gopher, of whom I know little. This track kicks off the record, and while the album on the whole is pretty enjoyable, this track stands head and shoulders above the rest of the pack.

Alex Gopher - Time

December 13, 2006

The Rapture

In the "better late than never" department, I decided to jump on the bandwagon for The Rapture after hearing them on KEXP approximately eleventy billion times and realizing that I wasn't ever actually getting tired of hearing them. My introduction to dance punk started with Infadels, but it was hearing The Rapture that made me realize I should pay attention to the whole emerging genre; that doesn't mean I'm going to, of course, but it's the thought that counts. From the 2006 release Pieces Of The People We Love.

The Rapture - Don Gon Do It
The Rapture - Get Myself Into It

Lili Haydn - Mama
DJ Food - Scratch Yer Head (Square Pusher Mix)
Spiritualized - Shine a Light

December 11, 2006

Journeyman

Lala dropped off an interesting surprise recently: the 1997 release National Hijinx, an hour or so of intriguging trip hop by Journeyman. Given the release date, I was surprised by how fresh it sounds; it's in the vein of Cinematic Orchestra or DJ Food, with occasional hints of Amon Tobin for good measure. One of the men behind Journeyman, Paul Frankland, was also the genius behind the infamous ambient act Woob, whose praises I have sung on this blog before. All in all, this is a well-textured, intriguing record, and it seems a shame that we don't seem to have heard from Journeyman or Woob since their releases in the '90s.

Journeyman - Rusty Beats
Journeyman - Spy
Journeyman - Sloath

Combustible Edison - 20th Century
Massive Attack vs. Mad Professor - I Spy (Spying Glass)
Dr. Teeth & the Electric Mayhem - Can You Picture That?

December 08, 2006

Beck

I wasn't planning on posting about the new Beck album, The Information, but... but it's just so damn good, I couldn't help it. Sorry!

Beck - Cellphone's Dead
Beck - Soldier Jane
Beck - The Information

December 06, 2006

Maryam Mursal

Maryam Mursal came on the station recently and reminded me of how much her album still kicks ass. It's the kind of album where I remember losing it in a hotel room shortly after I originally purchased it, and deciding almost immediately to run out and buy another copy instead of mourning my loss. Mursal is a renowned Somalian singer who fled Mogadishu with her family in the wake of the civil war there. She put out one album, The Journey, in 1997 on Real World Records. The album was produced by Simon Emmerson and Martin Russell of the Afro Celt Sound System, who presumably are responsible for the modern beats, while Mursal delivers gritty, aggressive pop that still sounds to fresh to me years later. It's a shame she doesn't seem to have released another album since then.

Maryam Mursal - Lei Lei (I Feel Alone)
Maryam Mursal - Kufilaw (Take Care)
Maryam Mursal - Sodewou (Welcome)

Of Montreal - Knight Rider
DJ Dolores - Oslodum 2004
Sounds from the Ground - Over There

December 04, 2006

Infadels

Of all the dance punk I've heard so far, Infadels is by far my favorite. I stumbled across a trove of their remixes and b-sides recently that gave me an excuse to revisit them here. Certainly dance punk lends itself quite well to remixing, and these are a pretty satisfying lot; and I'm sorry, what's that? A Propellerheads remix? Seriously, they still make music? Anyway, one wonders if dance punk will see its time in the sun fade, just like electroclash (which, being a crotchety ignoramus, I still enjoy), but for now, if you aren't already a fan of their debut album, We Are Not The Infadels, go thee hither and git it.

Infadels - Can't Get Enough (Mekon Remix)
Infadels - Love Like Semtex (Mr B Remix)
Infadels - Jagger '67 (Propellerheads Remix)

Transglobal Underground - Scully
Radiohead - Sulk
Global Goon - Globy Dubes, Champeen Of All Americky

December 01, 2006

Maps provides yummy, lush electropop on this single, from the recent EP release Start Something. It's all swoopy and emotional, you know, like he really means it and stuff.

Maps - Lost My Soul

Here's some eeenteresting indie electronica for you, from the unsigned act Science For Girls. Sounding pleasingly reminiscent of Junior Boys, the eeenteresting part turns out to be the wholly unexpected hints of Brazilian flavor that sneak in. Neat!

Science For Girls - You'll Never Know

The new Mouse On Mars album, Varcharz, is not for the faint of heart, with all its glitches and bleepety beeps and boopety boops, but it does have one particularly user-friendly track worth checking out.

Mouse On Mars - I Go Ego Why Go We Go