« October 2006 | Main | December 2006 »

November 29, 2006

Freestylers

In general, when a song calls out to "party people", I become skeptical; however, on occasion, I really do just want to get down, and that's where Freestylers come in. The 2006 release Adventures In Freestyle is a schizo mix of dance, hip hop, and rock'n'roll - smashing styles together kind of the same way the first UNKLE album did, but taking itself a little less seriously. (Because really, when you use "for those about to rock, we salute you" as a sample, you are clearly giggling when you do that.)

Freestylers - Could I Be Dreaming (feat. Ragman, Bad Manner & Ewan O'Brien)
Freestylers - Pocketful Of Sadness (feat. Ragman)
Freestylers - Jump 'N' Twist

Jaga Jazzist - Serafini Jungelen (Jomba VS. K-Mart & Ravi '97 MIX)
Orbital - Halcyon (Hacker Remix Live In New York)
DJ QBert - Destination Quasar 16.33.45.78

November 27, 2006

Brazilian Girls

I finally got around to picking up the new Brazilian Girls album, entitled Talk To La Bomb, and am quite pleased with it; their first album was enjoyable, but this one amps up the edginess and gets a bit more techno, while not sacrificing any of the goofy faux cosmopolitanism of their original sound. None of the lyrics feature the inspired lunacy of the first album's "Pussy pussy pussy marijuana!" refrain, but the general who "almost has an orgasm when the tanks are rolling" comes close. Plus, women rapping in French is by definition hot, so.

Brazilian Girls - Jique
Brazilian Girls - Never Met A German
Brazilian Girls - Le Territoire

In other news, I wanted to let you guys know how much I appreciate the comments you've been dropping lately - it's really picked up over the last six months. Although I'm too busy to reply to each one (I literally barely have time to actually write posts anymore), it is very helpful to see what tracks you're responding to, and just generally encouraging to see that you're picking up some of the albums you see recommended here. That definitely helps keep me excited about the "whenever I get around to it" part of the Comfort Music slogan.

Towa Tei - Dubnova (Part 1&2)
Badawi - The Circle
Lux - Secret Fish

November 24, 2006

Voom Voom

On the 2006 release Peng Peng, the electronica act Voom Voom delivers a solid set of neodisco that caught my ear, and for good reason - Voom Voom is apparently a "dance music supergroup featuring the combined talents of Christian Prommer and Roland Appel (of Fauna Flash and Truby Trio) and Peter Kruder".

Voom Voom - Baby
Voom Voom - Best Friend
Voom Voom - Vampir Song

These and other fine, fine tracks can be heard on Comfort Music. See you next week.

November 22, 2006

My Computer

One of the advantages of keeping an Amazon wish list around for years and years is that occasionally, when browsing back through page after page, I will realize that a formerly expensive import can now be had for $5 new via Amazon Marketplace. Hooray for capitalism! My Computer released the album Vulnerabilia in 2002; it's a trippy little slice of baroque electropop with hints of disco goofiness undercutting its occasional orchestral flourishes. I see they also put out a record in 2005; if I wish list it now, I might be able to snag it in a few years for twenty-five cents!

My Computer - Rope
My Computer - Vulnerabilia
My Computer - Majic Flat

Supreme Beings Of Leisure - Under the gun
Hexstatic - Perfect Bird
Shaun Escofferey - Let It Go (Jazzanova Remix)

November 20, 2006

"Scandinavian Style"

And now, another installment in the "random acid jazz" department, this time via Scandinavia. The album Scandinavian Style contains a full assortment of super hot acid jazz, which I'm only occasionally in the mood for - but when I am, this is the kind I like.

Povo - East On West
Baeka - Soul Exp
Damn - Leaving This Planet (Yam Who Remix)

Tha Alkaholiks - Likwidation
One Stupid Futurist - mission 2
Monsoon - Shakti (The Meaning of Within)

November 17, 2006

Four Tet

Four Tet has a 2-CD collection of remixes out, called - wait for it - Remixes. It's one of those "disc 1 is all his mixes of other people's music, disc 2 is all other people's mixes of his music" kind of dealies. Yes, it contains the remix of Sia's "Breathe Me" that saturated the blogosphere when it first came out (and still sounds awesome); the line up also includes the likes of Madvillain, Radiohead, Beth Orton, His Name Is Alive, Pole, Bloc Party, Boom Bip, Koushik "and more!" I know these tracks have undoubtedly all seen earlier release, but I am of the lazy, and prefer tidy packages to tracking down zillions of singles. Plus, this set was on sale for $12, which is a fraction of the cost of collecting all those remixes on their original sources - proof positive that we are winning the war on terrorism.

Aphex Twin - Untitled [Saw2 CD1 Track1] (Four Tet Remix)
Bonobo - Pick Up (Four Tet Remix)
Four Tet - Hilarious Movie Of The 90s (Manitoba Remix)

These and other fine, fine tracks can be heard on Comfort Radio - "the little station that could." See you next week.

November 15, 2006

Spool

After an interminable hiatus, the experimental ambient jazz duo known as Spool has returned from the far reaches of the cosmos to deliver its long-awaited sophomore album. In 1998, Spool (comprised of jhno, who released several excellent solo techno records in the late '90s, and John Ridenour, a guitarist who did a tour of duty with Poi Dog Pondering among other bands) dropped the bombshell of their debut album, a swirling miasma of lusciousness that rapidly rocketed to the top of the "Best Ketamine Music of All Time" chart. (No doubt that's why the liner notes of the new album thank "listeners throughout the galaxy, in neighboring kingdoms, and across the interstitial dimensions".) Then... deafening silence from the two.

This new record, entitled Spool Saves The World, was apparently recorded in 1999, but only recently saw a final mixdown and release. How's it compare? Like the first album, it's just seven tracks; like the first album, it's a mixture of driving textures and almost Eno-esque retreats. The debut just slightly edges the new one in my opinion, but the new one features the astonishing track "Xok", which is hands down the best Spool track in the catalogue, better even than the sublimely iterative "Joni" (which you can conveniently snag from Epitonic's Spool page). My advice: just make sure you have both of these records in your collection when the singularity hits and you need a soundtrack for humanity's inevitable slide into interdimensional anarchy.

Spool - Xok
Spool - Tuesday

Bowery Electric - Shook Ones
The Herbaliser - Saturday Night
Meat Beat Manifesto - Peristaltic Wave

November 13, 2006

Arling & Cameron

Arling & Cameron have a new release out this year called Hi-Fi Underground. Their last album came out in 2001; the liner notes for the new album describe a van crash on tour that apparently broke Cameron's back. That would definitely explain the delay in getting this new sliver of yum out to market, which is a little more Daft Punk and a little less Ursula 1000 than their earlier work, but still an entertaining, often goofy (check out the cameo by Princess Superstar, for instance) return to the scene.

Arling & Cameron - I Don't Need It
Arling & Cameron - Walk This Way
Arling & Cameron - Slow Food

Dabrye - We've Got Community
subtractivelad - freckle
Seven Seals - Amour

November 10, 2006

Dosh

You know, just the other day, I was thinking it'd be great to hear someone fuse experimental jazz, prog rock, and electropop, and then along comes Dosh with an album that does exactly that. The closest comparison I can come up with is Jaga Jazzist, but that's not entirely accurate; this is a mellower approach. The layers of subtle glitch in no way obscure the obvious musicianship on display; this is a rich & unpredictable listening experience, but warm and inviting at the same time. From the album The Lost Take.

Dosh - Um, Circles And Squares
Dosh - MPLS Rock And Roll
Dosh - O Mexico

November 08, 2006

Shawn Lee

Me, I don't play no video games, but every now and then, a tasty little video game soundtrack crosses my path. Shawn Lee did the soundtrack for something called Bully; it's twangy, retro, surf-n-spy music. Yum!

Shawn Lee - Fighting Johnny Vincent
Shawn Lee - Bustin' In
Shawn Lee - Final Showdown

Goldfrapp - Slippage
William Orbit - Water Babies
Mr. Lif - Trouble Shooting

November 06, 2006

Venus Hum

Venus Hum, purveyors of modern synthpop, have been hit or miss for me in the past, but their new album, The Colors in the Wheel, gets high marks for its edgy approach. Thanks to Comfort reader Nicole for pointing this record out to me.

Venus Hum - Yes And No
Venus Hum - Birds And Fishes
Venus Hum - Pink Champagne

Flunk - Miss World
Bombay Dub Orchestra - Mumtaz (The Ornament of the Palace Mix)
Hepcat - Earthquake and Fire

November 03, 2006

Leave it to Daedelus to take modern remix culture to its absolute post-postmodern pinnacle. From the 2006 Throw A Fit EP.

Daedelus - Remix Of Nothing

I guess the story here is that in 1968, some 15-year-old prodigy treks from Vegas to Vancouver, where he promptly gets himself some studio musicians and a record deal, and makes a trippy psychedelic rock album. Uh, okay! From the album Suddenly One Summer.

J.K. & Co. - Fly

I used to finish off mix tapes with this track. Teehee.

Kronos Quartet - Spectre

November 01, 2006

Miho Hatori

Miho Hatori (straight out of purgatory) released her first album, Ecdysis, in Japan last year, and it just recently came out in the US. It's a delight, encompassing a range of global and stylistic influences. It's hard to avoid the temptation to compare this to her Cibo Matto bandmate Yuka Honda's solo albums - Honda is more overtly experimental and deliberately unsettling, while Hatori seems more about blending sources into a pop pastiche that seems familiar and unique at the same time. Neither have released anything that captures lightning in a bottle like Stereotype A, but this record comes tantalizingly close.

Miho Hatori - Barracuda