« September 2006 | Main | November 2006 »

October 30, 2006

Alexkid

Alexkid makes some pretty damn fine electro, which I don't spot very often. Admittedly I'm not running around looking for electro, but still, this was a welcome little treat. From the 2006 release Caracol.

Alexkid - Nightshade
Alexkid - Caracol
Alexkid - Mare Alta

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago
Alex Cortiz - Barfly
Kid Spatula - Shistner's Bassflex

October 27, 2006

Bob Mould and Low - two great tastes that etc. etc.! From the fabulous Tonight The Monkeys Die EP.

Low - Monkey (Bob Mould Remix)

Here's a lovely little number from Tipsy that seems to be practically timeless. From the 1997 album Trip Tease.

Tipsy - Ugly Stadium

And this track came up on my Nomad recently and made me realize how much I miss Cowboy Bebop. Sigh... From one of the eleven million soundtracks from the show.

Seatbelts - Bad Dog No Biscuit

October 25, 2006

Toby Twining Music

What's that, you say? You haven't heard any experimental acappella music lately? Fear not!

Toby Twining Music was a classically-trained quartet who put out one album, entitled Shaman, back in 1994. The "extended vocal techniques" of these impeccable singers included overtone singing, "vocal fry" (undertone singing), and of course, musical yodeling. The arrangements are intricate & lovely, the singing gorgeous, and the results are completely original. It's long out of print, but you can find it used for $.85 on Amazon, so. (And yes, I know there are five voices on one of these tracks; they had a guest join them for a couple songs on the recording.)

Toby Twining Music - Hymn
Toby Twining Music - Shaman
Toby Twining Music - Hotel Destiné
Toby Twining Music - Himalaya

I have to post stuff like this periodically or my blog will become TOO POPULAR.

The Lounge Lizards - Au Contraire Arto
Andrea Parker - Going Nowhere
Cantoma - Cosmopole

October 23, 2006

Viva Voce

I ported several pages of my Amazon wish list into Lala recently, while simultaneously triaging my CD collection into Lala to clear out the cobwebs, and now I'm starting to get all kinds of fun CDs in the mail. My wish list is an abused, tormented entity; I dump anything that sounds interesting into it, then forget all about everything I put there, so getting these CDs lately has been a fun surprise.

Today's Lala delivery is the 2004 release The Heat Can Melt Your Brain by Viva Voce. It's really good indie art rock, but creative and clever and unpretentious. I realize they have a newer release out, but, uh, Lala hasn't sent it yet!

Viva Voce - Alive With Pleasure
Viva Voce - Business Casual

Fiona Apple - Better Version of Me
Sun Kil Moon - Trucker's Atlas
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan with Eddie Vedder - The Face Of Love

October 20, 2006

Reripping parts of my CD collection lately, and I was reminded of how good this song remains. From the 1993 album This Is How It Feels.

The Golden Palominos - Prison Of The Rhythm

In other news, for no apparent reason, please enjoy this underground treat from jhno. Again, I'm digging through the CDs and realizing I have some old school treats to share; you'll see more in the coming weeks. From Under Radar.

jhno - fly

And finally, please enjoy this delectable downtempo morsel. From the album Somewhere Else Is Here.

The Funky Lowlives - Float Through Stars

October 19, 2006

Self

I think this is the last of my Pandora discoveries for a while. I feel silly for not hearing about Self any sooner; this 1999 album, Breakfast With Girls, would undoubtedly have brightened my life lo these many years since its release. It's totally quirky indy pop, with weird electronics (all the way back in prehistoric 1999!) to keep things interesting and hints of Jellyfish scattered throughout.

Self - Kill The Barflies
Self - Meg Ryan
Self - Sucker

Massive Attack - Karma Coma featuring DJ Shadow (UNKLE Situation Mix)
Method Man - Afterparty (featuring Ghostface)
Kid Koala - Basin Street Blues

October 16, 2006

Junior Boys

Junior Boys make wispy, ephemeral electropop, coming off like techno cotton candy. The whole album practically dissipates while you're listening to it, ending as a shimmer. From the 2006 release So This is Goodbye.

Junior Boys - In The Morning
Junior Boys - FM

Kammerflimmer Kollektief - Alles Gluhen
Sun Kil Moon - Kentucky Woman
Boards Of Canada - Into The Rainbow Vein

October 13, 2006

Denali

Lush & moody indie rock today from Denali, on their 2002 self-titled release. Pretty straightforward, but the singer sure sounds purty. One more Pandora find; the trial period is almost over...

Denali - French Mistake
Denali - Lose Me
Denali - Relief

October 11, 2006

Soulwax

Comfort reader Nicole convinced me to pay attention to Soulwax, whose 2005 album Nite Versions is a gritty dancepunk feast. The whole album is mixed together, so consider listening to these tracks in order. I have absolutely no idea, nay, none whatsoever, what that first song is about.

Soulwax - E-Talking
Soulwax - Accidents and Compliments
Soulwax - Compute

tunng - tale from black
Bethurum - Simplicity Distorted
Bugs - Let Go

October 09, 2006

Loka

On the 2006 release Fire Shepherds by Ninja Tune act Loka, we're treated to some excellent, driving trip hop, kind of in the vein of The Cinematic Orchestra, except on steroids.

Loka - Safe Self Tester
Loka - Tabernacle Part 2

Rufus Wainwright - The Origin of Love
Crash Worship - Ixtasis
Tricky - Makes Me Wanna Die (Acoustic Mix)

October 06, 2006

Of Montreal

The new Of Montreal remix album, Satanic Twins, is notable for the fact that its two most entertaining remixes are both turned in by Seattle-based acts - IQU and United State of Electronica. Coincidence... OR IS IT???

Of Montreal - Forecast Fascist Future (IQU remix)
Of Montreal - Requiem for O.M.M.2 (United State of Electronica remix)

October 04, 2006

Ellen Allien & Apparat

I finally got around to picking up Orchestra of Bubbles, the 2006 collaboration by Ellen Allien & Apparat that I have wanted for an absurdly long time. It's well worth the wait; should have picked it up much sooner, in fact. Tight, intricate, engaging techno - I was listening to it while cleaning last weekend and wound up having to stop what I was doing and just dance for several minutes.

Ellen Allien & Apparat - Retina
Ellen Allien & Apparat - Sleepless
Ellen Allien & Apparat - Do Not Break

Stimulator - 78 Stimulator
Lateef The Truth Speaker - The Quickening
A Study In Her - Fourteen In Fifteen

October 02, 2006

Dub Tractor

Some majorly fuzzed out space music today from Dub Tractor - their 2006 release Hideout made me feel pleasantly stoned the whole time I was listening to it.

Dub Tractor - I Woke Up