« June 2006 | Main | August 2006 »

July 31, 2006

Fred Avril

Today brings some really stylish electro-trip-pop goodness from Fred Avril, by way of the 2003 release That Horse Must Be Starving. I think this is one of my recent Pandora discoveries, and it's right up my alley; great song-writing, intricate electronics, lush tapestries. Also, it's, uh, neat and stuff.

Fred Avril - Velvet Blues
Fred Avril - The Date
Fred Avril - French Kiss

Self - Suzy Q Sailaway (Original Toy Version)
Richard Bone - Saphire Pearl
Karma Sutra - Swarg

Posted by Scotto at 12:08 PM | Comments (5)

July 28, 2006

Apparat has a new album out - four tracks, 48 minutes, entitled Live at Burn & Consume. It is damn fine IDM goodness, and apparently only available via online music services.

Apparat - Granular Bastard

Heard this track by The Dylan Group on Pandora recently and decided to snag it. It's pretty high on the "teehee" scale ("they covered The Orb, teehee!", etc.), but I like it anyway. From the album Ur-Klang Search.

The Dylan Group - Towers Of Dub

And here's some delightful electronic dream pop from Sébastien Tellier, from the recent Broadway CD single.

Sébastien Tellier - Broadway (Mr dan's je t'aime mix)

July 26, 2006

Heather Duby

Came across a sampler featuring two songs from the new album by Heather Duby, and they thankfully seem to represent a return to the ethereal sound that made her first album so lovely and haunting. This'll probably be worth further investigation...

Heather Duby - Places Shape Lives
Heather Duby - Listen

Of Montreal - Lysergic Bliss
Fiona Apple - Tymps (the sick in the head song)
Schneider TM - Suck or Run (Pulseprogramming remix)

July 24, 2006

"Festival Supersounds (8ème édition)"

Very crunchy electropop and indie rock today from the Festival Supersounds (8ème édition) compilation, which also features Of Montreal, Daedelus and Balkan Beat Box. These little stompers were stand outs.

Texas Lo-Fi Corporation - Personal Drone
Steeple Remove - U Say

Sky Cries Mary - Shipwrecked
Kid Spatula - Grandwash
Portishead - Cowboys

July 21, 2006

Four Tet

Four Tet has a new DJ-Kicks comp out. It's a wildly varied affair, featuring the likes of Stereolab, Akufen, Animal Collective, Madvillain, Cabaret Voltaire, Autechre, and a lot more... as he writes in the liner notes, "Analogue synths and electronic effects mixed with live drums seem to be a constant sound here... All this is mixed together with music that reaches into soul, funk, jazz and disco." It gets pretty bleepy-bloopy experimental at times, but manages to hang together.

Curtis Mayfield - If I Were Only A Child Again
Gary Davis - The Professor's Here
Four Tet - Pockets

July 19, 2006

TV On The Radio

The new TV On The Radio album, Return to Cookie Mountain, is pretty much fantastic, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

TV On The Radio - Playhouses
TV On The Radio - A Method
TV On The Radio - Dirty Whirl

Bahamadia - Pep Talk
Funkadelic - Back In Our Minds
Kostars - Mama Never Said

July 17, 2006

Muse

It pains me to say that I only learned about the new Muse album thanks to commecial radio. It's true - I was in a fast food joint and the station played Hot Chip, Thom Yorke and Muse in succession. I thought I was in Bizarro World where the music is always good everywhere you go, but then the DJ started talking and I realized if people are still subjecting themselves to that kind of ear poison, then they are living in hells of their own devising.

I digress.

Muse has a new album out! Called Black Holes and Revelations, this is a mostly worthy successor to the astonishing heights of their previous album, Absolution. Clearly Muse is the only band that can be called the inheritors of the grand theatrical style that Queen pioneered, incorporating electronics to bring the sound of hard rocking glam up to speed. The vocals are lush, the piano occasionally dives straight over the top, and in general, although Absolution had better song-writing overall, this remains a band to watch.

Muse - Take A Bow
Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
Muse - Knights Of Cydonia

This album reminded me so much of certain Queen songs that I almost posted one, before realizing that I'm not quite ready to jump the shark with this blog just yet.

Barry Adamson - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Eddie Vedder with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - The Long Road
Schaeng Pfui & Maetes B. - Funky Trudi

July 14, 2006

I have nearly the entire Terranova catalog on my Nomad, and I never get tired of hearing their tracks come up. They've got a track on the 2006 compilation Dj-Kicks The Exclusives that continues their perfect hitting streak for me, with its slinky growly goodness.

Terranova - Contact

I wasn't going to post anything from this album, assuming that the entire intarweb would adequately cover its release with appropriate fanfare. But right near the end of the record, this lovely little gem landed, and I changed my mind. From The Avalanche - Outtakes and Extras from the Illinois Album.

Sufjan Stevens - Chicago (Multiple Personality Disorder version)

And finally, let's wrap up the week with a random bit of jazz stomp. No particular reason; it just seemed the right thing to do.

Kenny Clarke & Francy Boland Big Band - Sette uomoni d'oro

July 12, 2006

Thom Yorke

"Eraser? I hardly know her!"

Thom Yorke - Analyse

The Mighty Bop - Freestyle Liguistique Feat. EJM
FC Kahuna - Hayling
Gorillaz - Sound Check (Gravity)

July 10, 2006

cLOUDDEAD

Season Two of CHERUB continues in high style, as the clubhouse is invaded by ZOMBIES! What else do you want? Please to be checking it out.

I finally got around to picking up the cLOUDDEAD album Ten recently, after much procrastinating. Mason pointed out that it's filed on Rhapsody under "Hip Hop: Unusual" - tee hee. Anyway. I didn't really realize that Odd Nosdam was in this group; makes sense of course. This album really scratches the "could you please make the music more surreal?" itch without sacrificing its groovy listenability. (That's a word, right?)

cLOUDDEAD - Pop Song
cLOUDDEAD - Rifle Eyes
cLOUDDEAD - Physics Of A Unicycle

Olive - You're Not Alone (Matthew Robert's Cloud 10 Mix)
system7 - Interstate (Doc Scott Mix)
Saul Williams - Twice the First Time

July 07, 2006

"Refractions"

The 2005 Refractions compilation features some sultry and engaging ambient music. I had to listen to it a couple times to appreciate it, because sometimes good ambient music has a tendency to be, uh, ambient, but hey.

Slow Motion - Flats and Rooms (Murcof Remix)
The Boylucas - What Would Could and Should Have Been (Layer Remix)
Micromega - Touch (Encre Remix)

July 05, 2006

Asobi Seksu

Energetic indie rock today from Asobi Seksu, a band that reminds me of what Lush might have sounded like with a dose of Japanese pop thrown in for good measure. From the 2006 release Citrus.

Asobi Seksu - New Years
Asobi Seksu - Thursday
Asobi Seksu - Red Sea

Beth Gibbons - Tom The Model
The Crystal Method - Realizer
Vanessa Daou - Peculiar

July 03, 2006

Letting Up Despite Great Faults

Season Two of CHERUB, the vampire with bunny slippers, kicks off today with a brand new episode. Please to be checking it out; it is 42% more energy efficient than last season's first episode, and much more likely to get out those unsightly stains.

Some lovely indy electropop today from the new group, Letting Up Despite Great Faults, whose first EP, Movement, is being released in August; they've put up a few treats for you to sample to whet the appetite.

Letting Up Despite Great Faults - Disasters Are Okay
Letting Up Despite Great Faults - Maybe I'll Hide With You
Letting Up Despite Great Faults - I Hear You Drowning But I'm Tied

The Polyphonic Spree - Wig in a Box
Animals On Wheels - stans soluble fish
negativland - the perfect cut (good as gold)