« May 2006 | Main | July 2006 »

June 30, 2006

Riow Arai

As far back as the year 2000, people were making edgy, vaguely bizarre instrumental hip hop, such as today's tracks by Riow Arai, from the album Mind Edit. Llew and I joke periodically that Comfort Radio is becoming an oldies station because we never take stuff like this out of rotation once it's in.

Riow Arai - Flatter
Riow Arai - Break Roads

June 28, 2006

Rachel's

I lost track of Rachel's after kind of devouring four of their albums all at once when I was first exposed to them, but I just recently stumbled across the 2003 release Systems/Layers, and found it quite enjoyable. On this album, the group turns its classically-influenced chamber rock sound to scoring a theater piece for Anne Bogart's SITI Company; the resulting tapestry is a mixture of "live ambient" music and melancholy themes.

Rachel's - Water From The Same Source
Rachel's - even/odd
Rachel's - Air Conditioning/a closed feeling

Juno Reactor - Pistolero
PJ Harvey - Down By The Water
Ursula 1000 - The Girl From N.O.W.H.E.R.E.

June 26, 2006

Hanne Hukkelberg

Hey, we posted a trailer for Season Two of CHERUB - the vampire with bunny slippers. I know you've all been on the edge of your seats waiting in an uncomfortable position; well, sit back, relax, and enjoy this delightful little sliver of the fun we're going to have in Season Two.

It makes sense that I would like Hanne Hukkelberg. For starters, she just sounds so precocious. Then, there's the precociousness. It's like she just arrived from Bjorkville by way of some very quiet carnival or something, electropop as heard via distant satellite from a source in outer space. These tracks are from the 2005 record Little Things.

Hanne Hukkelberg - Little Girl
Hanne Hukkelberg - Do Not As I Do
Hanne Hukkelberg - Balloon

Secret Machines - Nowhere Again
Pink Martini - Donde Estas, Yolanda
Daft Punk - Da Funk

June 23, 2006

Saxon Shore

Over-the-top post rock instrumental music today from Saxon Shore, on the 2005 release The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore. Yes, it's instrumental - look, you can't always have insane "hopelandish" lyrics with your over-the-top post rock music.

Saxon Shore - This Shameless Moment
Saxon Shore - Isolated By The Secrets Of Your Fellow Man

June 22, 2006

Halou

Part Hooverphonic, part Bowery Electric, Halou brings the moody electropop on their 2006 release Wholeness & Separation.

Halou - Honeythief
Halou - Everything Is OK
Halou - Wholeness

Hexstatic - Telemetron
Sun Kil Moon - Glenn Tipton
Muse - Sing For Absolution

June 19, 2006

Gnarls Barkley

I thought the entire world already knew about Gnarls Barkley - the recent collaboration by Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo - but four different people I talked recently to had never heard of the group, which triggered my "must pile on the bandwagon" impulse. It's superslick pop-infused hip hop, rich with totally luscious and soulful vocals, and fantastic production. Half the time I feel like I'm listening to some kind of awesome Temptations remix album, but they drop generous hints of gospel and rock into the mix as well. It comes off sounding both incredibly innovative and at the same time pleasingly familiar, blending genres in a tight fashion that you just need to check out. From the 2006 album St. Elsewhere.

Gnarls Barkley - Go-Go Gadget Gospel
Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces

Tori Amos - London Girls
The Cat Empire - Days Like These
The Kleptones - Last Words (A Tribute)

June 16, 2006

Test Shot Starfish

Test Shot Starfish offers weird and crunchy ambient on their 2005 debut release. It's got a serious Plaid vibe, with occasional hints of Autechre thrown in for good measure; neither of those groups is on my favorites list, and neither is Test Shot Starfish, but if you like this sort of thing, it's worth a listen. I'm learning to appreciate this style a little more as time goes on.

Test Shot Starfish - Souvenirs
Test Shot Starfish - Diver
Test Shot Starfish - Level One

June 14, 2006

Simian

I just stumbled across the 2001 release Chemistry Is What We Are by Simian; it's indie pop goodness to these ears, although their site prefers calling them an "electronically enhanced psychedelic folk band". Some of the rich vocal stylings brought an Of Montreal vibe to mind; there's hints of Jellyfish in the mix, and a little bit of Tortoise as well. Are later releases by this group as good?

Simian - Drop And Roll
Simian - The Wisp

I answered my own question when the 2002 release, We Are Your Friends, showed up several days after writing the first part of this post. Verdict: Yes! I think I might possibly like the earlier album a wee bit better, but frankly, both of these records are going to be very welcome additions to my MP3 player.

Simian - Sunshine
Simian - The Way I Live

Asian Dub Foundation - Jericho
The Roots - Millie Pulled A Pistol On Santa
Anthony Stewart Head + George Sarah - Owning My Mistakes (feat. James Marsters)

June 12, 2006

Headcase

Headcase provides electronica that is occasionally murky, occasionally noisy, and consistently engaging. These tracks appear on the 2003 release Crosseyedrabbit, put out by the pleasingly named label Crack Nation.

Headcase - Chemical
Headcase - Pure
Headcase - 1779

Teargas & Plateglass - Haengyong
Cutty Ranks - The Stopper (Richard Dorfmeister's Full Moon 6 Live dub)
J Boogie's Dubtronic Science - Rosada Flor

June 09, 2006

Some Water And Sun

This wound up sounding pretty unique to me: Some Water And Sun blends cut-up electronics with the slower pulse of an R&B vibe. I'm not much for modern R&B but fusing really slick vocals with a somewhat experimental backdrop is a neat idea. From the 2005 release All My Friends Have To Go.

Some Water And Sun - Snowbreaker
Some Water And Sun - Watering
Some Water And Sun - All My Friends Have To Go

June 08, 2006

Skopic

Sorry for my delay in posting this week; we wrapped ten days of shooting CHERUB Season Two last Sunday, and I wasn't able to get ahead on this week's Comfort Music posts like I normally do. However, Wired News just posted a great article about our shoot, so if you're curious what it's like behind-the-scenes of a "guerilla sitcom", check it out. We've also been posting production diaries and featurettes if'n you're curious. Season Two launches at the end of this month.

Meanwhile, here's some yummy, slightly crunchy downtempo from the artist Skopic, on his 2005 debut release.

Skopic - Allow Me
Skopic - Salivate For Salvation
Skopic - Verbatim

Steve Fisk - You Used Me
Aesop Rock - Save Yourself
TV On The Radio - Dreams

June 05, 2006

Plus-Tech Squeeze Box

Jen's grand finale to my birthday fortnight this year was a special delivery of two shiny CDs straight from Japan: the 2004 and 2005 releases by Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, an insane pop band that I've been obsessed with ever since Fluxblog dropped "THE mARTIN SHOW!!" in our laps last year. But since Jen had the wherewithal to track down sane(ish) prices for importing the discs, I'm pleased to be able to foist these maniacs on you once more. From the albums Cartoom! and Fakevox.

Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - Dough-Nuts Town's Map
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - Sneaker Song!
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - kitchen shock? (Pancake Partymix)
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - THE mARTIN SHOW!!

Mixmaster Mike - Audio Mass
Electrelane - On Parade
The Cinematic Orchestra - All That You Give (Dr. Rockit Mix)

June 02, 2006

Department of Eagles

You've got admire a group whose liner notes state: "I want you to picture a world. A world where automatic weapons are broken down into organic vegetables. A world where unvaccinated, multilingual babies roam naked through a tattered landscape of fallen skyscrapers. A world where peyote is the international currency." OK, sign me up!

Department of Eagles - a two-person group featuring Iron Chrysalis and Butterfly Emerging - makes good old-fashioned wacktronica, dig it. Actually, we learned from Moka on the Comfort list recently that the Spanish translation of "wacktronica" would be "majatronica", so from here on out, majatronica is now the official Comfort Music term for "weirdass, somewhat experimental electronica with a high goofy WTF factor". Isn't majatronica so much catchier? From the 2003 release The Whitey On The Moon UK LP.

Department of Eagles - Noam Chomsky Summer Break 2002