« March 2006 | Main | May 2006 »

April 28, 2006

Teno turned me on to this excellent remix from a recent compilation called The Art of Chill 2, a comp that features a surprising variety of artists for a chill record - Chris Coco, Cinematic Orchestra, Imogen Heap, Aphex Twin "and more!" This particular remix features my main man Ulrich Schnauss, and is over all too soon.

Justin Robertson pres. Revtone - Love Movement (Ulrich Schnauss Remix)

Hmm, why yes, I suppose I would like to do the freedom zombie dance. Get part 2 on the Freedom single by The Nostalgia 77 Octet.

The Nostalgia 77 Octet - Freedom (The Freedom Zombie Dance part 1)

And finally, I haven't kept up with Over The Rhine's career, but "back in the day" when I was regularly making mix tapes for people, I would often end a side with this beautiful little number, due to a) its short length (just under two minutes), and b) its sweet but melancholy flavor. It came to mind today because I was trying to find one more track to round out the Friday grab bag - same situation, updated for these modern times. Anyway. From the 1992 album Patience.

Over The Rhine – Little Genius

April 27, 2006

Massive Attack

A posse of Comfort peeps saw Massive Attack at the Paramount last night. They were pretty great. Not outstanding, but pretty great; lots of high moments, a few questionable set list choices, rotten vocal mixing, and very very pretty lights. They haven't toured America in something like eight years, so we all felt pretty happy about the experience; the encore of "Inertia Creeps," "Unfinished Sympathy" and "Group Four" was an ass-kicker. To commemorate this experience that we all had but you did not, allow me to offer the following treats:

The Peter Gabriel remix here is from the 1993 Steam CD single, which also featured a Hank Shocklee remix if you happen to be a Hank Shocklee collector; DB refers to Dave Bottrill, longtime Gabriel engineer, but Massive Attack's stamp is obvious. The Elbow cover of "Teardrop" is something I (and many others) have posted before, but neither Corrie nor Laura had even heard much of Elbow, let alone this cover, so it bears reposting. And the final remix, by Paul Oakenfold, is my favorite of all the B-side remixes the band has released throughout the years. Infuriatingly, the vocalist fucked up my favorite lyric from that track: on the recording, the lyric is "Like a soul without a mind/In a body without a heart/I'm missing every part," which the concert vocalist mangled to "Like a body without a mind/Like a soul without a heart..." This prompted much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but she did it every single time, which made me think the band had blessed this wretched revision.

It's not like I have strong feelings about this.

Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers (Massive/DB mix)
Elbow - Teardrop
Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy (Perfecto mix)

In other news, not one but two separate people at the after-concert gathering indicated they had never heard any Massive Attack whatsoever. In addition to making me feel old like dinosaur, it also made me want to immediately post their entire back catalog, but that of course would be irresponsible. The band just released a greatest hits CD, but my recommendation to Massive Attack virgins is to blow that popsicle stand and just immediately go listen to Mezzanine, right now, THIS FUCKING SECOND. You can listen for free on Rhapsody:

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Yes, you might have to install a plug-in, but it's free streaming, and if you're truly a Massive Attack virgin, you should consider this an emergency situation and get to work.

Lifesavas - Spirit In Stone Outro
Broken Social Scene - Pacific Theme
Material - Seven Souls (Tim Simeon mix)

April 26, 2006

"Om 10 - A Decade Of Future Music"

Om Records turned 10 years old recently, and to celebrate, they released a mammoth 3-disc set chock full of their signature sound. This comp features many of the usual suspects, including Mark Farina, Kaskade, J Boogie, Soulstice, Andy Caldwell, and a host of others... if you like their particular brand of soul-infused house and acid jazz, this is quite a collection. Congrats on the decade of ass-kicking! From the Om 10 - A Decade Of Future Music comp.

Seafoam - Magnus Buchan
Rithma - Love And Music
Greenskeepers - Back In The Wild
Blue Boy - Remember Me

The Close-Ups - I'm On My Way
Miles Davis and John Coltrane - Bye Bye Blackbird
Boards Of Canada - Magic Window

April 25, 2006

Ms. John Soda

Comfort pal Laura fires off a guest post today, writing:

"Ms. John Soda's new release, Notes and The Like, is very like their first album, only a bit more complex - electro downtempo pop with dreamy vocals. There are plenty of electronic squiky squirks with the guitar melodies to make it interesting and I like her voice. Overall a thumbs up."

Ms. John Soda - Hands
Ms. John Soda - Outlined View
Ms. John Soda - Sometimes Stop, Sometimes Go

Techno Animal - Flight Of The Hermaphrodite
Modaji - La Cosa Mas Chunga
Carmen McRae - How Long Has This Been Going On?

April 24, 2006

Diesler

This new album by Diesler started off sounding like "typical" electronic funk, but very rapidly progressed into something a lot snazzier. Incorporating a range of rhythms and building a fair bit of stomp into the sound (almost batucada-esque), Diesler pulls off a very percussive groove. When they revert to "typical" funk or soul, it still sounds good, but the stand-out tracks are when the group cuts loose with the drums, yeah. From the 2006 release Keepie Uppies.

Diesler - Day Of The Jackal
Diesler - Puppy Fat
Diesler - Cannibal Lunch

Neulander - If You Could
Eat Static - Implant
Jet Black Crayon - The Mentalist

April 21, 2006

A little bit of wacky sampletronica kicks us off today, from the 2006 Son Of Sakuraba EP by Simahlak.

Simahlak - Sea In Red Guillotine Set In The Clinch

I’m a complete sucker for liking this, I know, but I have no choice in the matter. Swirling, syrupy electronica, tending toward the ballad-y end of the scale – done to death, but when it’s done well, it’s still like candy that I can’t stop eating. From the 2005 release Re-Entry by Orbient.

Orbient – Pool

Recalling an old Kids In The Hall sketch, Nino Moschella delivers some top-notch, if somewhat quirky, funk on his The Real Better Believe EP.

Nino Moschella – Are You For Real

April 20, 2006

Copy

Mmm, crunchy old school electronica that sounds like it was pieced together from old Atari game soundtracks? Okay, I exaggerate, but you either dig this sound or you don't. The last track here is so disturbingly reminiscent of an '80s new wave sound that I'm feeling all dirty for liking it. From the 2006 release Mobius Beard by Copy.

Copy - A Slight But Delicious Warble
Copy - Calling You Back
Copy - It's A Little Too Late

Neotropic - You're grinding me down
Mocean Worker - Right Now
Akira Inoue & David Rhodes - Come Home to Me Now

April 19, 2006

Dub Tractor

Dub Tractor come off sounding like a slightly more (surprise!) dub-infused version of The Books, where the dub influence replaces the true whimsy of the latter group. It's a nice twist on the non-formula of experimental ambient music. This album has a Not For Everybody Rating of 3! No, I don't know what that means. From the 2006 release Hideout.

Dub Tractor - Droplets
Dub Tractor - Hideout

John Zorn - I Want To Live
Jamiroquai - Music Of The Mind
Timbaland & Magoo - Intro / Straight Outta Virginia

April 18, 2006

Muallem

And then, there comes the hip hop - some good old-fashioned party hip hop from Muallem, actually, suitable for the getting down. Reminds me a little of the last Z-Trip album, in part because of the skillful deployment of guest stars. From the 2006 release Frankie Splits.

Muallem - 2hot 2cold 2touch featuring Lyrics Born
Muallem - New Thunder featuring Beans
Muallem - Sweat featuring Audrey

The Whole Thing - Opaque
kAzooo - comaforce (elmar remix 1)
Beyond & Back - You Only Live Twice

April 17, 2006

Dictaphone

Hey, episode 10 of CHERUB, the vampire with bunny slippers, is live. As the gang struggles to uncover the meaning of the ancient Prophecy of Propheticness, Charity receives word that she is to become the Super Mega Fresh Girl, in a very special "clip show" episode of CHERUB. Please to be checking it out.

Heaven knows I dig the weird, murky ambient. Well hey, here's some more of it! I've observed that I can handle "arbitrary" a lot more often when it's ambient than when it's glitch because ambient is better at generating moods without scratching the surface of my brain off; this album is pretty much all about mood, in fact. From the 2006 release Vertigo II by Dictaphone.

Dictaphone - Rising Minimal
Dictaphone - Le Chasseur (Danke)
Dictaphone - The Frame

TransGlobal Underground - International Times (Lionrock Kick The Flavour)
idmonster vs stina nordenstam - wittle star
Cornelius - Point Of View Point

April 14, 2006

Mig

I didn't really think I needed to hear another group on the Zero 7 / Morcheeba continuum, but apparently I was wrong. Mig provides some excellent, interesting downtempo vibes, and the patented "distinctly unique female voice" that is apparently coming standard right out of the factory now. The electronics on display here are sharp, pulling this out of the morass of your average downtempo boredom. From the album Yamatna.

Mig - Mother River
Mig - The Hunter

April 13, 2006

Nightmares On Wax

Nightmares On Wax is not the most complex music in the world. They pretty much just figure out a groove for this album and then figure out a few variations and then voila, an hour later you didn't realize you'd even heard a complete album, but there it was. Fortunately it's a really good groove. From the album In A Space Outta Sound.

Nightmares On Wax - Damn
Nightmares On Wax - You Wish
Nightmares On Wax - I Am You

Tricky - Antimatter
Michael Schiefel - Synchronicity I
lackluster - teramut

April 12, 2006

Caroline

Beautifully ethereal singer Caroline creates quietly impressive electropop ballads - think The Postal Service's cover of "Against All Odds", except without all the irony, and her voice makes you kind of get all weak-kneed. It actually reminded me a lot of the overlooked Anthony Stewart Head/George Sarah record from years ago. Very pretty piano-playing, very expressive song-writing, and nicely integrated electronics make this a pretty tasty little gem, "if you like this sort of thing." From the 2006 album Murmurs.

Caroline - Bicycle
Caroline - Where’s My Love

Halcali - Girigiri Surf Rider (HALF RIDER remix)
Amon Tobin - Sultan Drops
transient - adk thunderstorm

April 11, 2006

Matmos

I'm not historically a fan of Matmos; there's an arbitrary quality about their sound that irritates me. That said, I did enjoy hearing the 2006 album The Rose Has Teeth In The Mouth Of A Beast, which features a song about my favorite historical figure, Old Mad King Ludwig II of Bavaria. What more could you ask for?

Matmos - Roses And Teeth For Ludwig Wittgenstein
Matmos - Public Sex For Boyd Mcdonald
Matmos - Snails And Lasers For Patricia Highsmith

Alien Army - Destroy
Elbow - Snooks (Progress Report)
Peter Gabriel - Mercy Street (William Orbit mix)

April 10, 2006

Karsh Kale

Hey kids, Cherub faces a heart-warming reunion with an unexpected visitor - his brooding son Connie - in a very special episode of CHERUB, the vampire with bunny slippers. Please to be checking out episode nine (of twelve), which just went live.

Karsh Kale just released his third album, called Broken English. Considering his first two albums were essentially perfect, I can say that I was looking forward to this one with quite a bit of anticipation. Lucky me, this new effort displays some welcome experimentation, incorporating elements of hip hop and rock to keep things fresh - not nearly as much rock as someone like Rachid Taha, mind you, but it's still a welcome infusion of additional style into the sound, without straying too far from the severely tasty Indian-infused electronica he's known for. I definitely prefer Kale's Realize over Broken English in the grand scheme of things, but this is still a great addition to the Six Degrees catalog.

Karsh Kale - Manifest
Karsh Kale - Free Fall
Karsh Kale - Rise Up

Shivaree - It Got All Black
Banco de Gaia - Still Life
Les Hommes - The Way-out

April 07, 2006

Anima Sound System

Anima Sound System provides an experience roughly analogous to a less intense Asian Dub Foundation, both musically and lyrically; as the album progresses, it starts to add some hints of Transglobal Underground as well. Normally I don't pay much attention to message at first listen, but Anima Sound System does a good job of grabbing your attention with their message without feeling like they're preaching at the expense of making a tight track. The album's a little uneven, including a reggae-styled cover of The Beatles' "Revolution" that I remain undecided about, but it's got plenty of stand-out tracks. From the 2006 album We Strike!

Anima Sound System - World At War
Anima Sound System - Trip Like Cimbalon
Anima Sound System - More Fire

April 06, 2006

Gotan Project

After approximately 400 years, Gotan Project finally has a new album out, called Lunático. If you like tango-infused downtempo electronica, this is your one-stop shop. If you don't, move along, nothing to see here.

Gotan Project - Diferente
Gotan Project - Mi Confesion

Terranova - Prozac (Mekon Remix)
Lamb - Soft Mistake
Limp - Souvlaki Space Station

April 05, 2006

Emilie Simon

Delicious chambertronica from chanteuse Emilie Simon - see, she's French, so she's a chanteuse instead of a singer, get it? Her singing kind of has that old-school Björk vibe in terms of being just this side of precious, but instead winding up sounding like the deliberate musings of a near crazy person. Of course, I can't understand most of her lyrics, so if she's crazy, I wouldn't know. But it'd be cool. Anyway, I digress; the other comparison I'd make is actually to Björk's Vespertine, except with more muscle & crunch, and actual fleshed out songs instead of song ideas. Neat stuff. From the 2006 album Vegetal.

Emilie Simon - Alicia
Emilie Simon - Rose Hybride De The
Emilie Simon - Swimming

Suns Of Arqa - Moroder Vibe (Rick The Switch Mix)
Lali Puna - Alienation
Monsoon - Kashmir

April 04, 2006

All Good Funk Alliance

Mmm, some tasty hip hop funk today from All Good Funk Alliance, who came to my attention via a shiny compilation called Urban Upgrade that also featured the likes of RJD2, Gotan Project, RZA, LTJ Bukem, and Roots Manuva. But it was All Good Funk Alliance that provided the stand-out track on that compilation, and I'm happy to report their album does not disappoint; it's got a great upbeat vibe complemented by an upbeat message, and yes, they do in fact bring the good funk. Well worth checking out. From the upcoming album Social Comment.

All Good Funk Alliance feat. Swanburger - Major C
All Good Funk Alliance feat. Swanburger & Alexandrah - Point
All Good Funk Alliance feat. Swanburger & Alexandrah - Stilled Life

International Peoples Gang - Diagonal
Sun Kil Moon - Gentle Moon
Saba - Johnny Jumpup

April 03, 2006

Bauchklang

Modern acappella is a barren wasteland of pointless pop crap, bland regurgitations of tired styles, and limited originality all around. Imagine my surprise, then, to stumble across Bauchklang, a "vocal groove project" that takes on "ragga, drum & bass, hip-hop, world music, avant-garde and electronic." Purists will argue that music like this isn't acappella - for instance, they are clearly using a simple foot pedal called an "octivator" to drop their bass lines into a lower register, and studio techniques are obviously involved in making their mix sound so sweet. However, as someone who actually sings in an acappella group, I can state categorically that no amount of studio trickery can save you if you can't actually sing, compose or arrange, and people are often surprised by how effectively a human can actually simulate a full percussion kit or a slick-sounding drum machine. The point is - these are great songs, given a great work-out by a six-man ensemble whose live show is apparently earning them immense credibility. I'm irritated that I'm not in this group, but it's also inspiring to hear. From the 2006 release Many People.

Bauchklang - Rhythm Of Time
Bauchklang - Barking News

Their site has a huge pile of freebies that show off an older and less-polished sound, which is actually great for hearing the detail of what they're doing, as in these examples:

Bauchklang - Navigator
Bauchklang - Beatduo (live)
Bauchklang - Soncubano (live)

CompactRisk - Theme From An Imaginary Chamel