« January 2006 | Main | March 2006 »

February 28, 2006

Apparat

After dropping an Apparat track here recently, I was sufficiently motivated to grab the Silizium EP and talk about him some more. This is very yummy experimental electropop goodness. The EP is four tracks recorded for John Peel, followed by five remixes (including a good one by Telefon Tel Aviv) and a video for "Komponent". I will definitely be eagerly awaiting an actual full-length. Apparat is Ellen Allien's producer - anyone have an opinion on whether I should snag that new Ellen Allien that's just come out?

Apparat - Komponent
Apparat - Not A Good Place

Mellow - Another mellow winter
Z-Trip - Bury Me Standing (Feat. Luke Sick)
Peggy Lee - I Love Being Here With You

February 27, 2006

Imogen Heap

Hey, last Friday we released the exciting third episode of our web series, CHERUB - the vampire with bunny slippers. In "My, What A Lovely Orange You've Got", the secret of Cherub's cursed bunny slippers is revealed; and the law firm of Dogboy & Goat pays a visit to Cherub Investigations. Please to be checking it out!

Imogen Heap, "the female axis of Frou Frou," has a very shiny new album out called Speak For Yourself. It is candy-coated technopop goodness, and the track "Hide and Seek" is quite possibly one of the most delectable things I've heard in a long time - it's as though this song is the reason God invented vocal effects.

Imogen Heap - Daylight Robbery
Imogen Heap - Hide and Seek
Imogen Heap - The Moment I Said It

Underworld - Dark & Long (7inch)
Laika - starry night
TV On The Radio - Dreams

February 24, 2006

Skef pointed out the following track by Al Jabr (aka Richard H. Kirk) from the 1999 album One Million And Three, noting: "There's a transition in this track at around 1:20 that I'm especially fond of (naturally, you should listen first without watching the time and see if you notice)." All the Richard H. Kirk I've heard so far has been the yum; this is but a tiny sampling.

Al Jabr - Hard Rain

This song came on my Nomad recently and it completely surprised me that this funky little ditty was Death In Vegas. From the album Dead Elvis.

Death In Vegas - All That Glitters

Oh and by the way, have I mentioned THE COCONUT MONKEYROCKET recently??? This song has come up so many times on my MP3 player and the station recently that I consider it an omen - I'm posting it even though I posted it last year, and if you don't like that, then you are clearly a hater of monkeyrockets.

The Coconut Monkeyrocket - Bloops, Bleeps, Bongos & Brass

February 23, 2006

Deaf Center

Deaf Center provides a dark and cinematic suite of compositions, vaguely reminiscent of Paul Sauvanet "but in a good way!" It's ambient music that tells a story. I don't suspect this album is for everyone, but I find this kind of stuff to be pretty evocative. From the album Pale Ravine.

Deaf Center - White Lake
Deaf Center - Stone Beacon
Deaf Center - Thunder Night

Prefuse 73 - One Word Extinguisher
Miles Davis and John Coltrane - I Could Write a Book
The Crystal Method - More

February 22, 2006

Giardini Di Mirò

Giardini Di Mirò started popping up on the intar-web recently, which led me BACKWARDS IN TIME to a 2002 remix album, The Academic Rise of Falling Drifters, that is surprisingly tasty, given that I typically find Di Mirò enjoyable but a bit noodly. Here his tracks get a vaguely ambient workout that puts the finishing touches on, to my mind; Dntel contributes a remix on the album, if you're a Dntel completist (and really, in this day and age, who isn't?).

Giardini Di Mirò - A New Start (Styrofoam Version)
Giardini Di Mirò - Pet Life Saver (Hermann & Kleine Version)
Giardini Di Mirò - Rise And Fall Of Academic Drifting (errorEncountered Version)

Instinct - It's Warm On The Other Side
stud - links go home
Boop, Prook And Kakan - Pure Me (Oops I Did It Again)

February 21, 2006

Chambaril

We don't post nearly enough Brazilian electronica around here. Well, that trend ends NOW! (And starts back up again tomorrow.) From the artist's 2005 self-titled debut, which you can theoretically get here (scroll down the page for a listing).

Chambaril - Som De Ladrão
Chambaril - Desculpa Aí
Chambaril - Feel Good Right

dZihan & Kamien - Just You & I
The Farcical Society - Bioluminescence
Meat Beat Manifesto - Love Mad

February 20, 2006

Bannister Boy

Hey, last Friday we posted episode 2 of our new video series, CHERUB - the vampire with bunny slippers. In this episode, Jasper and Charity rush to save a helpless woman trapped in a lemon meringue dimension; and a glimpse into Cherub's past demonstrates his "taste" for the ladies. Please to be checking it out!

Some beautiful iterative ambient music today from Bannister Boy, on the recent album Lullabye. The sound is lovely, a little eerie, and generates some very wistful moods. Released by the netlabel Drift Records.

Bannister Boy - Lines on Squares
Bannister Boy - The Delicate Dawn
Bannister Boy - Dark Rooms With Red Curtains
Bannister Boy - Falling

Beth Orton - Concrete Sky
Matthew Herbert - Master Traktor
Nightmares On Wax - Me + You

February 17, 2006

Here's a nice little microhouse tune found on a recent compilation by the netlabel Bevlar, called We Are Bevlar 2. It reminded me of Akufen, but that's very likely because Akufen is the only microhouse artist I'm familiar with. Ha! The rest of the comp is mostly thump thump dance stuff, most of it quite solid.

Dumb Dan - Ele

I suspect only in Russia could something so absurd still manage to sound so funky. It's just kind of ridiculous, and yet you just keep bopping your head. I don't get it. From the 2005 album Tartuf by Oleg Kostrow.

Oleg Kostrow - Father's Rule

I'm only posting this because I think the name of this band is fantastic. Okay, okay, the song is great, but really, I just love the name of this band. From the forthcoming record Idol Tryouts Two, due in March.

Skeletons & The Girl-Faced Boys - Fit Black Man

February 16, 2006

The Boats

In the mood for some super minimal ambient? Hey, lucky you. Aside from the fact that most of their song titles are reminiscent of a Neil Simon play, The Boats provide a very understated sonic atmosphere, pretty and quiet. From the album We Made It For You.

The Boats - Sarah Alice
The Boats - Chris, Elaine and Lucy
The Boats - Bob, Ben and Kipper

DJ Shadow Vs Keane - We Might As Well Be Strange (Remix)
Louise Vertigo - Peau d' Ane
Gift of Gab - The Ride of Your Life

February 15, 2006

"The Wine Bar Revisited"

Coe and I were just talking recently about how she had decided to nuke all the chill out compilations from her MP3 player, because really, that whole genre feels essentially like yesterday's oatmeal. I too have become a hard skeptic about chill out music in general - it all sounds "good" in this one, very well-(or over-)produced fashion, while also all sounding basically identical. Imagine my surprise, then, to stumble across not one, not two, but three pretty rich and outstanding tracks on the recent The Wine Bar Revisited comp. Admittedly, the second track here has enough of a beat to go into a dance set, but when you hear it, you'll understand what qualities make it right at home amidst a whole host of very lush tracks that range from Zero 7-style power ballads to fairly engaging acid jazz.

Above and Beyond feat. Zoe Johnston - No One On Earth (Chill Out Mix)
Deepest Blue - Be Still My Heart
Compendum - Brand New Start

Lion Rock - Push Button Cocktail
Billy Paul Williams - A Walk In The Park
Craig Armstrong - Weather Storm

February 14, 2006

The Minor Canon

I'm not really sure why these demos struck my fancy so much. They've got a part Dixieland, part Polyphonic Spree, part sentimental ballad feel to them, and somehow the combination just seems to work for me. According to the press release, The Minor Canon is Paul Larson, who has worked/is working with Jimmy Tamborello on a few projects, so by the transitive property of cool, this means you should probably like this, but who knows.

The Minor Canon - A False Star
The Minor Canon - Good Luck

Amon Tobin - Get Your Snack On
Miniflex - New Colors
Russell Morris - The Real Thing

February 13, 2006

Alpendub

I'm not sure who recently turned me on to Alpendub - was it you, Blogio Oddio? - but I absolutely must spread the love. There's just nothing quite like the exquisite combination of excellent dub and high caliber yodeling. They've made their second album, Jo-Delay, available on the inter-web, so please with the checking it out.

Alpendub - Böse Sennerin
Alpendub - Grüß mal
Alpendub - Der Weg zum Herzen
Alpendub - Jaga Ode

DELTRON 3030 - mastermind
Kid Spatula - Disclosed
David Toop - House Of Traps

February 10, 2006

Hey, guess what! Episode One of CHERUB, the vampire with bunny slippers, went live today, and you should immediately go watch it! No really!

Intricate, intimate, shimmering folk from Mi and L'au, whose self-titled debut album is a quiet, delicate study in moods and textures. It's perhaps too much on the acoustic side for me, but I know how some of you people dig that stuff, so.

Mi and L'au - They Marry

God forbid anyone ever put this mean little track on a comp for you. It sure sounds neat, though. From the Shapes EP.

Polar Pair ft. Talisman - Out Of Sight

And in the "kickass electro" department, here's a track from the recent Versatile Hot Shots compilation. It's a stomper.

Joakim - I Wish You Were Gone

February 09, 2006

"Mensole of Sound"

Takuji AKA GeeTek's Mensole Of Sound is a wonderful little collection of weird electronica that, among other things, introduced me to the concept of "Okinawan massive". The first track here asks that important musical question, "What is that noise?" The second track is a cute little number with relatively preposterous beats. And I know I posted some Jazztronik recently, but my God, you cannot imagine my delight at hearing this particular cover. The whole album hangs together in an excellent fashion; it's well worth tracking down a copy.

DJ Kentaro x DSK - Every Little Step
G. Rina - Good Luck
Jazztronik - Rock With You

Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals - Michelle
Pit er Pat - The Babies Are Tired
Fantastic Plastic Machine - Fantastic Plastic World

February 08, 2006

Skim & Tone

Very tasty, wacky hip hop funk today from Skim & Tone, on the 2005 album Cosmose. This album is kind of a sprawling, enjoyable mess of experimental jazz, upbeat dance, and of course, many many Star Wars samples; yet somehow it all hangs together and keeps a tight beat.

Skim & Tone - Little Sun (Remix)
Skim & Tone - Passager
Skim & Tone - Trouble

Del The Funky Homosapien - Help Me Out
The Numbs - Dedication
dZihan & Kamien - Thrill feat. Ma.Dita

February 07, 2006

Sirconical

I have never used the word "jaunty" to describe anything on this blog - until today, when jaunty seems appropriate to describe the style of IDM on display by Sirconical on the track "Joulouville". Overall this album lives in a pleasing Mouse On Mars-style universe, full of creative textures and weird ambiance. From the 2005 album Waving At Planes.

Sirconical - Joulouville
Sirconical - In Your Own Time
Sirconical - Gone

The Roots - Carryin' On
The Knights Of The Occasional Table - Rain
Animals On Wheels - toasted bot bop

February 06, 2006

Parov Stelar

Hey! Over the weekend we launched a new video project that you might be interested in, called CHERUB:

"CHERUB is a parody of Joss Whedon's ANGEL. Season One will feature twelve 4-7 minute episodes about the adventures of CHERUB and his gang - the aspiring actress Charity Case, the arcane expert Jasper Windham-Hill, the muscle man Roger Pipebomb, and the extradimensional traveler Barney as they face off against Cherub's nemesis, Johnny Mildly-Irritating, and the evil law firm of Dogboy & Goat."

The trailer for season one is already online. Please to be checking it out!

And now, on with today's music...

Smoky, jazzy, lush downtempo funk today from Parov Stelar, who brings in a smattering of yummy vocalists to complement his rich instrumentation and excellent grooves. From the album Seven and Storm.

Parov Stelar - My Inner Me (feat. Phoebe Hall)
Parov Stelar - If I Had You
Parov Stelar - Nowhere (feat. Billy Kern)

Peter Gabriel - More Than This
Timo Maas - Schieber 1
Aesop Rock - 9-5ers Anthem

February 03, 2006

"Check The Water"

Check The Water - Selections From The Leaf Label's First Ten Years is a really snazzy 2-CD set that runs the gamut from "cool" to "neat" in an effortless fashion. The sampler includes a veritable cornucopia of excellent electronic & experimental acts such as Four Tet, Boom Bip, Clue to Kalo, Psapp, Efterklang, Susumu Yokota, Caribou, and Murcof - and a large number of lesser known (to me, at least) artists that sound great in such company. Give it a whirl - they're selling the set for just $9.98 on Amazon, which is a great bargain considering how much good music you get. Oh, and happy decade, Leaf.

The Sons of Silence - A Grain Of Sand
Sutekh - Almna Hueco
Rob Ellis - Symphonies Of Wind Up Instruments
Icarus - Skate Glug

February 02, 2006

Montag

Quirky & pretty electropop today from Montag. I know too many Scrabble geeks to avoid posting this first track, and the second one has a nice expansive quality that almost makes you want to, I don't know, abandon your fears or something. From the Goodbye Fear EP.

Montag - Scrabble Heart (edit)
Montag - Goodbye Fear

Federico Aubele - El Amor De Este Pueblo
The Herbaliser - Mrs. Chombee Takes The Plunge (DJ Food Mix)
Frost - Amygdala (Mind Over Midi's Emotional Memories Mix)

February 01, 2006

Tunnel Clones

My wife and I often discuss what makes certain hip hop tracks appealing to her; she's usually looking for an underlying musicality that isn't always the point in some of the experimental hip hop that I enjoy. I think she might like these tracks from Tunnel Clones, though; it's got a solid upbeat vibe and some nice melodic backdrops that help make these tracks catchy and entertaining. From the album Concrete Swamp.

Tunnel Clones - Heads In Our Pocket
Tunnel Clones - What You Want

Lori Carson - Souvenir
Bonobo - Light pattern
el salvador - waterfalls (azur mix)