« December 2005 | Main | February 2006 »

January 31, 2006

The Black Dog

Menacing ambient today from The Black Dog. I love putting the words "menacing" and "ambient" next to each other. From the 2005 album Silenced.

The Black Dog - Drexian City R.I.D.E.
The Black Dog - Remote Viewing

Schaeng Pfui - Lama Bama Dong Ding
Ratatat - Seventeen Years
Tuatara - Afterburner

January 30, 2006

"For Films"

Interesting blend of weird techno, yummy global fusion, and other miscellaneous surprises on the 2-CD set For Films (Selected Tracks for Moving Pictures: edit 10). Kammerflimmer Kollektief, T. Raumschmiere, Hexstatic, Atom Heart and Daedelus turn up on this compilation, but look to some lesser known artists for some real treats as well. Regy Clasen provides some really sweet-sounding dub-infused electropop; I know I've heard this Apparat track before and it still sounds awesome, chambertronica at its best; Sepiatone kicks their track off by sampling my second-least favorite Monkees song and then manages to build it into a nice warm psychedelic sprawl. Clocking in at almost two hours of music, this compilation is quite the smorgasbord.

Regy Clasen - Kann Ich Bleiben (Havana Mix)
Apparat - Silizium
Sepiatone - Dark Summer

Of Montreal - Don't Ask Me To Explain
Tiefschwarz - Warning Siren
Jurassic 5 - Long Road To Glory

January 27, 2006

Piana

You will know from the minute you first hear Piana's voice whether you are in the "love this voice" or "this voice makes me want to claw my eyeballs out with a shrimp fork" camp. You be the judge! The music is pretty, slightly experimental, coy-sounding chamber pop with an ambient veneer (a little similar to softer Efterklang or Múm); ah, but her voice, it's really all about her voice, heavily overdubbed and floating like an anime angel all over these compositions. From the 2005 release Ephemeral.

Piana - Early In Summer
Piana - Little Girl Poems

January 26, 2006

Run_Return

Yummy technojazz workout from Run_Return, on their 2005 release Metro-North. It sounds a little like a more electronica-soaked version of Tuatara, with hints of Jaga Jazzist as well.

Run_Return - Aerospace Lanes
Run_Return - Loge Blue
Run_Return - Soothing Syrup

Yonderboi - Riders On The Storm / Pink Solidism
Eddie The Rat - Satori Kumquat
We - Micro Al Hammed

January 25, 2006

Tipper

Excellent glitch hop today from Tipper. Actually, according to the name of the album, it's Tip Hop. Wacky!

Tipper - Tepid Bile
Tipper - Paperthinreality
Tipper - Flitch

Kosma - Aeroboop (Megashira remix)
John Zorn - Contempt
Orbital - Monday

January 24, 2006

Erik Sumo

The album My Rocky Mountains by Erik Sumo is an interesting mélange of influences thrown together in a pleasing downtempo blender. Often the best you can say about downtempo is "I barely noticed it was on" but Sumo doesn't hesitate to show off a unique dub-infused sound, with plenty of eastern European rhythms and melodies to keep things lively. And "You don't deserve all the things I have said/And I'm sorry, so Friday I'll be dead" is a lyric that makes me so happy I can hardly describe it.

Erik Sumo - This Is Where It Begins
Erik Sumo - Friday I'll Be Dead
Erik Sumo - My Rocky Mountains

Señor Coconut - Smooth Operator Version Suave
Pepe Deluxe - Woman In Blue
Moon Theory - Hunger

January 23, 2006

Infadels

Got to spend some quality time at Amoeba Records in San Francisco recently, and one of my happy finds in the used bin was the outstanding 2004 release We Are Not The Infadels, by a group who nevertheless call themselves Infadels. Perhaps the distinction is that they are Infadels, not The Infadels; perhaps they are just weird, I don't really know. I've had "Can't Get Enough" in my DJ set for months now, and after finally hearing the rest of the album, I'm pleased to find it's a gem from start to finish.

Infadels - Can't Get Enough
Infadels - Murder That Sound
Infadels - Sunday

Rasputina - Trust All-Stars
The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
My Scarlet Life - Don't Look Back

January 20, 2006

Eliot Lipp

Looking for some new Ratatat? Well, I haven't heard any recently, but this upcoming album, Tacoma Mockingbird by Eliot Lipp certainly slides right in and makes itself at home in that territory.

Eliot Lipp - Rap Tight
Eliot Lipp - Brand New
Eliot Lipp - Times Four

January 19, 2006

K.D. Expression

Nishi continues to put out interesting netlabel releases, as the new Mental EP by K.D. Expression demonstrates. This EP is driving, haunting techno, a little goth even, and a bit of a departure from some of their more abstract releases, but that's okay by me (sometimes the really abstract stuff makes me feel dumb in the head, so). I was a little reminded of Delerium by this release, which is tricky, because Delerium really, really hasn't aged well, but this stuff has a nice modern edge to it and kind of reminded me a bit why I liked Delerium in the first place. Anyway, yeah, K.D. Expression, dig it.

K.D. Expression - Augury
K.D. Expression - Dolorian
K.D. Expression - 5 AM

Ani Difranco - I Know This Bar
Beastie Boys - Instant Death
Boom Boom Satellites - Bike Ride to The Moon

January 18, 2006

Forss versus Borg

More weirdass microhouse today, this time from Forss versus Borg, whose Live Promo EP is a satisfying addition to my understanding of a fairly bizarre genre of electronic music. To borrow a phrase from Warren Ellis, "It's marvellous, and brings the brain-hurty." I don't know where you can buy this; if you find out, let me know.

Forss versus Borg - Oh God Forbid
Forss versus Borg - Novosibirsk And Back

Tipsy - El Bombo Atomico (Pizza Del Sol Mix)
Saint Etienne - Shower Scene
5Material - Rodent Robots

January 17, 2006

Judith Juillerat

I don't know who this Judith Juillerat person is; according to the Inter-web, she is the winner of Björk's "Army of Me" remix contest, but does that tell you who she truly is as a person? No. But she sure does make some nice weird electropop. A pretty good comparison would be Barbara Morgenstern, except the sultry voice in question is French instead of German, and Juillerat is perhaps a little weirder ("in a good way!"). From the 2005 release Soliloquy.

Judith Juillerat - Promenade Aperitive D'un Noctambule
Judith Juillerat - Haphazardly
Judith Juillerat - Forget-Me-Not

Dimensional Holofonic Sound (D.H.S.) - Intergalactic Travel
Henry Mancini - Champagne and quail
Guide and Maurizio De Angelis - Casa Di Moda

January 16, 2006

Mogwai

Historically I've been kind of back-and-forth about Mogwai; they've always seemed to be doing interesting stuff, just not always the kind of stuff I've cared about. Their upcoming album, Mr Beast, is really, really nice, however. It's top notch, occasionally very pretty art rock, with a healthy dose of muscle to keep things moving.

Mogwai - Auto Rock
Mogwai - Team Handed
Mogwai - Friend Of The Night

Os Mutantes - Adeus Maria Fulo (Good-bye Maria Fulo)
!!! - Intensifieder (Sunracapellectrohshit Mix 03)
The Streets - Weak Become Heroes

January 13, 2006

"Directions"

Some highlights today from a sometimes lovely, sometimes overly weird ambient/IDM compilation called Directions, released by the netlabel Electrotoxic. I really dig about half this compilation - which probably means some of you will vastly prefer the other half, but hey. At any rate, it's all free for your downloading pleasure, so consider checking it out.

T-polar - Girl In My Igloo
Norman Fairbanks - Graceland
Fono One - Betamax Rock

January 12, 2006

Alice Russell

Funky modern soul comes to us today from hot UK singer Alice Russell (and by hot, I mean career hot, although she's certainly pretty and stuff). From her second album My Favourite Letters.

Alice Russell - Humankind
Alice Russell - Munkaroo
Alice Russell - All Over Now

Ellis Dee - Blowin' Up
Loophead - Firefly
Artificial Intelligence (series 2) - Polygon Window

January 11, 2006

Datach'i

Uh oh, I'm starting to like glitch! The sky is falling! From the album The Elements by Datach'i.

Datach'i - Musket Iron
Datach'i - In Silence
Datach'i - Frayed

Transglobal Underground - Scully
DJ Rupture - Pleasure Ruin Dub
gang gang dance - rugs of prayer

January 10, 2006

General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners

How did I miss this release from last February? Is it because Mike Patton hates me? (Probably.) Brady turned me on to this funky little showdown between General Patton, maestro of weird, and The X-Ecutioners, whose severely cut-up hip hop style seems to be a fairly good match for Patton (more in his Lovage mode here than his Tzadik mode). The album is hella chaotic, but occasionally actual songs coalesce out of the cacophony, as these fine examples demonstrate.

General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners - Get Up, Punk! 0200 Hrs. (Joint Special Operations Task Force)
General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners - Roc Raida: Riot Control Agent/Combat Stress Control
General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners - Kamikaze! 0500 Hrs. (Take A Piece Of Me)

Pete Rock - Its the Postaboy
George Harrison - Wah-Wah
Nujabes - 1st. Samurai

January 09, 2006

Hooverphonic

Wait, Hooverphonic is still putting out records? Apparently so - the 2-CD set No More Sweet Music was released in December, and includes a bonus disc of remixes. It's slick and poptastic and shiny, a little reminiscent of Morcheeba's Big Calm in terms of orchestration and vague levels of funk, but veering into uptempo territory a lot more often. I freely admit to being a sucker for this kind of lushly produced alternapop, but YMMV. If you're missing the old Hooverphonic, you might try digging up those old Hooverphonic albums you played to death a few years back, 'cuz it turns out, even though you over-played them back then, they still work in your media player today! That is all.

Hooverphonic - You Love Me To The Death
Hooverphonic - No More Sweet Music
Hooverphonic - We All Float

Dubtribe Sound System - If You're Not Coming Back To Me
Terranova - sweet bitter love
Non Prophets - Xaul Zan's Heart

January 06, 2006

Optiganally Yours

One of my favorite things to do here on Comfort Music is stumble across something from years ago that I'd never heard about and post about it in a witless frenzy as though no one else had ever heard about it either. Which brings us to today's post about a group called Optiganally Yours, whose 1997 debut album Spotlight On Optiganally Yours showcases the band's fetishistic obsession with an obscure instrument called - wait for it - the Optigan. Epitonic describes the instrument thusly: "Produced by Mattel in the 1970s, the Optigan (a combination of 'optical' and 'organ') is an organ that plays back the sounds of real instruments that have been recorded onto celluloid disks with alluring titles like Polynesian Village, Latin Village and Singing Rhythm. Optigans, while endearing, proved to be unreliable and commercially unsuccessful, so they were produced for only a few years." But it's not just the Optigan on display - don't overlook the masterful playing of the Schoenhut toy piano on the album.

I learned about this album from my friend John, whose band "Awesome" covers a track from the second Optiganally Yours album, which features the Chilton Talentmaker and the Vako Orchestron instead of the Optigan. Again, from Epitonic: "The Talentmaker is similar to the Optigan, but it can play several chords (E flat major and minor chords as well as true A and E major) that the Optigan cannot. It also has the bonus feature that allows the player to open the front of the instrument and scratch the sound disks, which is impossible to do with the Optigan." Get some freebies from that album at the band's Epitonic page, but these tracks are from the first album, which is chock full of Optigan delight. The band's site has additional freebies here.

Oh - aside from the instrument's unique appeal, the songs themselves are very enjoyable indie pop. So there.

Optiganally Yours - Mr. Wilson
Optiganally Yours - Wichita Lineman
Optiganally Yours - Beebo

January 05, 2006

Alif Tree

Lush & groovy downtempo today from Alif Tree, on their forthcoming album French Cuisine. Fits nicely somewhere on the Tosca to Zero 7 continuum (which, similar to the Q continuum, is all powerful and can make you feel relaxed whether you want to be or not).

Alif Tree - Belle
Alif Tree - Enough
Alif Tree - My Soul

Zack Laurence - Stiletto
Cherry Poppin Daddies - Teenage Brain Surgeon
The Simpsons - Homer's Barbershop Quartet (Medley)

January 04, 2006

Brenmar Someday

On the A 16 Bit Theatre EP, Brenmar Someday turns in five great instrumental hip hop workouts, and a couple tracks featuring excellent rapping. You can just barely call this EP hip hop, but I like it when the lines get all blurry, so.

Brenmar Someday - Aisle 6 (feat. Adeem)
Brenmar Someday - Ninny

casino versus japan - over island
Suns Of Arqa - Sully's Reel (Astralasia Mix)
Chingon - Malaguena Salerosa

January 03, 2006

RSL

I was prepared to dismiss this album from RSL as another in a series of good but relatively same-sounding bossatronica albums I've been hearing lately, when suddenly - hey, a couple of these tracks add a pleasing Mint Royale-ish dance twinge to the formula. Nice! But the stand-out track here is "The Plunge" - wait for it to warm up, as it has its own sultry agenda. From the album Every Preston Guild.

RSL - Star
RSL - Wesley Music
RSL - The Plunge

Tanakh - Images
Goldfrapp - Utopia (New Ears Mix)
Yuzo Kayama - Since he likes you

January 02, 2006

if:then:goto

Today brings an outstanding release from the netlabel One: a beautiful, acoustic/electronic album called Another Syntax Error by if:then:goto. Apparently it was released in May, but I just came across it and boy, it sounds so fresh it may as well have been released in June or something. The album occasionally edges pleasingly into rocktronica territory - overall, this is an ambitious-sounding release for a netlabel, and the remixes included on the album are a nice touch. Go ye hither and download!

if:then:goto - Elk Statement