« August 2005 | Main | October 2005 »

September 30, 2005

Madita

Madita turns in an impressive debut, with an album ranging from Lamb-style techno ballads, to Latin-influenced dance, to cinematic Shirley Bassey-style pop, to serene & soulful chill out numbers. A little more pop than I usually dig, but in this case it works; her voice is great, and the production is tight. It's got enough surprises to keep you engaged all through the record. Release date is mid-October; brought to you by Couch Records, the cats what also brought you music by dZihan & Kamien.

Madita - Monotony
Madita - To The Moon And Back
Madita - Pushing

September 29, 2005

Maina

More goodness from the netlabel Nishi, this time in the form of some strange experimental ambient from Maina, on the EP Ola Calma. The second track here pulls the classic ambient trick of featuring a woman suddenly screaming at the top of her lungs, so that if you're washing the dishes or something and this comes on the stereo, you'll freak out thinking somebody is being attacked outside your apartment. Plus, it's called "Beautiful Chicken", I mean, come on.

Maina - 2003 A Terrenal Odissey
Maina - Beautiful Chicken

Opaz - Don't Say Nothin'
Rae & Christian - Bring the drama
the sunshine family - sunthesun

September 28, 2005

The Cansecos

Kahlil files a Wednesday guest post, writing:

"Like everyone, during the summer of 2003, I was delighted by the sounds of The Postal Service. Because of them, I learned about Dntel, Figurine, and Death Cab for Cutie. It was like a wonderland of music had opened up for me because of one album (Give Up). But by the Spring of 2004, something about Ben Gibbard's voice wasn't working for me anymore and my enthusiasm for The Postal Service waned. Then I read a description of The Cansecos as 'The Postal Service without Ben Gibbard!'

"I was, as they say, 'so there!'

"Obviously, this band is more than the initial, smug description. Part Postal Service, part Faint, part 'Everyday Is Halloween'-era Ministry, they display their influences proudly, but the overall effect is completely original. My recent discovery of Styrofoam's 'Couches In Alleys' is doing its part to combat the Gibbard backlash, but my love for The Cansecos continues unabated lo these many months later.

"From The Cansecos' self-titled 2002 debut. Upper Class Recordings, the home of the Toronto-based Cansecos, reports that a new album is due very soon."

The Cansecos - Are You Lonesome Tonight?
The Cansecos - Faster Than You Go

Shur-I-Kan - Revelations
Los Chicharrons - Brujeria De Amor
Noname - Equivocal

September 27, 2005

The Fading Collection

I heard a badass piece of electronic rock on KEXP the other morning, and was tickled pink to learn that a Seattle act is responsible for such goodness. I was also tickled pink to learn that the exact track I heard and loved ("Windshield") is one they chose to offer as a freebie on their site (along with several other tracks), so dig it! From the album Supertron.

The Fading Collection - Windshield
The Fading Collection - Q

Garbage - Milk (Wicked Mix)(feat. Tricky)
Bruce Lenkei - Jupiter
Orbitronik - Freedom Machine

September 26, 2005

"Dimension Mix"

When I first heard Beck's "Funky Little Song" on KEXP, I knew that something very special had happened - and I was right. On Dimension Mix, eighteen acts take a stab at reinterpreting the children's music of Bruce Haack and Esther Nelson, released 40 years ago on their Dimension-5 label, on a compilation benefiting the Cure Autism Now Foundation. The results are all over the map, and generally delightful. Stereolab, Money Mark, Tipsy, Eeels, Fantastic Plastic Machine, DJ Me DJ You, Oranger "and more!" show up to play.

Beck - Funky Lil' Song
Brother Cleve - School 4 Robots
Anubian Lights - Walking Eagle

Wink Martindale - To Remember Me
Dosh - Pure Trash
kazooo - al dente

September 23, 2005

Mobius Band

I don't get into the modern "rock" music very much these days, but Mobius Band caught my attention on KEXP and via the Inter-web, scratching the same part of my brain that Helio Sequence and Secret Machines scratched. Just enough electronics in the mix to fool my brain into thinking this is something more complex than it is - but really, given my near complete ignorance of the modern "rock", maybe this is how they all do it nowadays. From the album The Loving Sounds of Static.

Mobius Band - Detach
Mobius Band - You're Wrong
Mobius Band - The Loving Sounds Of Static

September 22, 2005

Scarlet Hideout

Delicious alternative rocktronica comes to us today from the group Scarlet Hideout, on their new EP release Hedocentric. Released by the netlabel Lo-Kiwi.

Scarlet Hideout - Instituo-ui-utum
Scarlet Hideout - Herbivores
Scarlet Hideout - Puppet Healing

Blue States - Stereo 99
Tortoise - It's All Around You
E.D. Swankz - Gazebo

September 21, 2005

Paavoharju

Another Wednesday guest post from Coe, who writes:

"This is big swoopy music, otherworldly and spare. Described as psych-folk from Finland, it's full of minor chords and ethereal voices, perhaps overwhelming as a whole, but fresh and interesting when taken in small doses. Gods of Music says it sounds like the underground pet project of Björk and Roger Waters. Paavoharju is not so much on the production values - sounds like a bootleg from a small club. I would love to hear this CD remade to be as crisp and clean and beautiful as I know it could be, but in the meantime, I'm happy to have it in my collection. They have more treats on their site. From the 2005 album Yhä Hämärää."

Paavoharju - Aamuauringon Tuntuinen
Paavoharju - Musta Katu

Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb (ATOC Dub Remix)
Makyo - Devabansha (Tantric Laswell Mix)
King Britt Presents Sylk 130 - Uptown

September 20, 2005

Decomposure

Normally the super cut-up stuff isn't all that appealing to me, but Decomposure manages to fuse that style with some eccentric pop sensibilities, making for some surprisingly yummy sonic experiments. The first time I heard "Whose Side Are You On?" I was half-convinced Winamp was having a heart attack, but no, "they meant to do that!" Fluxblog offers a better critique of the artist than I have any desire to, which shouldn't surprise anyone. This stuff gets pretty damned crazy in points, as evidenced by the last track here, thrown in "just because". From the album At Home and Unaffected.

Decomposure - Whose Side Are You On?
Decomposure - Distraction
Decomposure - Beatbox

Ben Neill - Chemistry of 7
The Dresden Dolls - Missed Me
geir tjelta - i love holy daze

September 19, 2005

"Melodic Today"

The 2005 compilation Melodic Today offers a smorgasbord of indie rock, electronica and hip hop delights from a roster of outstanding artists I've almost totally never heard of (the sole exception being Pedro), which is either indicative of a label on the rise or an overwhelming ignorance on my part. Track for track, this is a killer collection. Released by the UK label Melodic, the cats what also brought you releases by Minotaur Shock and Psapp.

Transelement - Harmonious Ascent
Dungen - Festival
Topo Gigio - Mu Arae

Fredo Viola - K Thru 6
DJ Swingsett - Peace On The Streets
Dan Deacon - When I Was Taller

September 16, 2005

First up today, I got your weirdotronica right here. It's almost a miracle that the beats have any association with the music, and yet. From the Hum Hum & Bla Bla EP, released by the netlabel Autres Directions in Music.

Melodium - Hellomusic (Ochre remix)

And if you ever wondered what a "Cornelius vs. Lawrence Welk" collision would sound like... well, if you ever wondered that, you have a problem, but in the meantime, this is a very quirky little ditty. Piano Overlord = Scott Heron, also known as Prefuse 73, for those keeping score at home. From the Torture EP.

Piano Overlord - The Overlord Meets Adventure Time In Sleepy Keys

Finally, if you have any kind of brain, please go check out the fantastic ambient/post-rock/experimental compilation Red, Green, Blue & Other Summer Feelings, released by the netlabel Sutemos. I know it's not summer anymore, but I can't help it; sometimes it takes me that long to figure shit out. Not convinced? Check out this blazing little number, then go ye hence and download anon. God damn it, this is serious! (Thanks to Blogio Oddio for the tip!)

FusedMARc - Funny

September 15, 2005

Apsci

Quannum act Apsci provides an unexpected mix of hip hop and electropop on their debut, Thanks For Asking. The vocals by Dana Diaz-Tutaan all throughout are delicious (even pleasingly reminiscent of the Andrews Sisters on one track), providing a shiny counterpoint to the laid back rapping of her hubby, Raphael LaMotta. Their debut also features appearances by Mr. Lif, and Vursatyl of Lifesavas.

Apsci - Bike Messenger Diaries
Apsci - Runaway (feat. Tunde of TV on the Radio)
Apsci - Cherubic

Princess Superstar - Welcome To My World
rza - ghost dog theme
smith & mighty - no justice

September 14, 2005

Future World Funk

Another Wednesday guest post from Coe, who writes:

"I ordered this CD before I heard any of it because it sounded great, and I was right! It's a compilation of global fusion: (cribbing from the liner notes) Brazilian folk-electronica, Merengue house, Japanese dub, Romanian calypso-waltz - all over the map. It reminds me of the good old days of world music, where every track was a revelation. It's a big ol' party in a box; almost every track danceable and fun. From the 2005 album On the Run, mixed by Future World Funk."

Bollywood Brass Band - Dum Maro Dum (Hackney Hifi Redub)
Marky and Xrs - Dia Del Sol
Bally Sagoo feat. Gunjan - Kahin Deep Jale Kahin Dil
Terry Hall and Mushtaq - They Gotta Quit Kicking My Dog Around

Sneaker Pimps - Curl
Trance Mission - Surrender
Sofa Surfers - Babylon Times

September 13, 2005

Morningwood

JenMoon turns in a guest post today, writing:

"This NYC band aptly describes themselves as 'a monster truck rally having tantric sex with a Bond girl' and they aren't far off base. 'Nth Degree' is the first song I heard and it's bouncy... if by bouncy you mean two kids on a trampoline with missing springs and one kid has snorted pixie sticks and fallen on his head a couple times too many. What follows is our original IM conversation.

scotto: i think you might like this.
jenmoon: who is this?
scotto: morningwood.
jenmoon: why aren't you buying this for me NOW?

"At which point, Scotto hunted down their promotional advance CD. The second song is more rock, the third just different and a little creepy. For such a balls-to-the-wall band, Chantal the main singer (who is only 23) has a very sweet melodious voice on a lot of tracks. From the band's self-titled debut."

Morningwood - Nth Degree
Morningwood - Televisor
Morningwood - Babysitter

Dee Lite - Good Beat
Acid Drop - Break It Down
DJ Spooky - Phase Interlude

September 12, 2005

Sigur Rós

Sigur Rós has rolled back into town with a new album, Takk, which doesn't particularly break new ground, but certainly demonstrates they are still capable of being exactly as awesome as they have always been. They put on a hell of a show the last time they were in town; I was in the balcony at the Moore, and I still felt like I needed a seat belt.

Sigur Rós - Glósóli
Sigur Rós - Hoppípolla
Sigur Rós - Sæglópur

Recently on the Comfort email list, Coe asked, "You know how in 'Stairway to Heaven' it's really mellow, and then there's the part towards the end where the singer and the guitar go crazy, and then it's mellow again? What do they call that part?" Sigur Rós is a master of that song structure, but no one on the list knew if there's a term for it. Anyone?

Tokyo Space Cowboys - Auditory Nerve Declaration
Peter Gabriel - Cloudless
Strange Voices - All Right for Now (3 Times Infinity Mix)

September 09, 2005

N. Lannon

One last CD Laura dropped off for me was the 2004 N. Lannon CD, Chemical Friends. Lannon provides mellow lo-fi electrofolk, in the age old tradition of "guy with guitar singing along to the occasional sounds of a garage sale drum machine". Much of the album swerves a bit too much into straightforward acoustic-ness for my taste (although he's got plenty of fans all over the blogosphere, so YMMV), but occasionally, a quirkier, richer sound emerges, as on these samples.

N. Lannon - My Last Breath
N. Lannon - Nature Of Things

These and other fine, fine tracks can be heard on Comfort Radio - the first internet radio station IN SPACE! See you next week.

September 08, 2005

Fischerspooner

"Fischerspooner? I hardly know her!"

Thank you, thank you, two shows nightly. From the 2005 album Odyssey.

Fischerspooner - Just Let Go
Fischerspooner - A Kick In The Teeth

Blue States - The Interceptors
Clue to Kalo - The First Song of the Rest of Your Life
The International Noise Conspiracy - New Empire Blues (Teargas & Plateglass remix)

September 07, 2005

Susumu Yokota

Another Wednesday guest post from Coe, who writes:

"Susumu Yokota is incredibly prolific, never standing in one place for too long. His latest album is an easy-on-the-ears fusion of classical samples and wandering, ambient electronica. I like that he lists the source of each sample (a who's who of ultra-relaxing classical pieces) - snippets that I recognize but can't name drive me mad. From the 2004 album Symbol, available from Other Music."

Susumu Yokota - flaming love and destiny
Susumu Yokota - symbol of life, love, and aesthetics

Big Hat - country death song (live)
Massive Attack - The Dog Obeys
malacoda - the tarantella

September 06, 2005

Nortec Collective

I don't know about you, but I don't have nearly enough Mexican downtempo in my life. Thank the heavens for the new Nortec Collective album, Tijuana Sessions Vol. 3. It is, quite possibly, the best Mexican downtempo I have heard since Ruisort. Also, the only, etc.

Nortec Collective - Tengo La Voz
Nortec Collective - Don Loope
Nortec Collective - Colorado

Rachel's - Night At Sea
Moulin Rouge - Zidler's Rap (alternate version)
The Girls from Bahia - Manhattan

September 05, 2005

Goldfrapp

Goldfrapp returns to the fray with their recent release, Supernature. They've come a long way from their first album, a sultry cabaret techno release, to the electroclash stylings of their second album, to the excellent techno funk & pop on the newest album. Oh, and check out the insane Goldfrapp concert pics over at Headphonesex (scroll down to see them) - white horses indeed!

Goldfrapp - Lovely 2 C U
Goldfrapp - Ride A White Horse

In other news, a new episode of my drug culture column, eScottology, has just been posted, featuring the continuing adventures of my pal Crank Boy as he enters the drug smuggling business. Please to be checking it out.

Electrelane - Birds
songstowearpantsto.com - i am a tree
dj kenshu - the last month

September 02, 2005

Deep Dish

Another Laura suggestion recently was the recent Deep Dish album, George Is On. She writes: "If you're looking for good old-fashioned electronica, look no further. Samples, beets, synths, light female lyrics, it's got it all. Not complicated enough to make it a favorite of mine, however nothing offensive or really wrong either. If you're missing that sleepy at a party/on the playa five in the morning the sun's coming up feeling, grab some sparklyshinyfuzzy friends, pop this into the player and hunker down..." It should be noted: Stevie Nicks is on this album. I repeat, Stevie Nicks is on this album.

Deep Dish - No Stopping For Nicotine
Deep Dish - Swallow Me
Deep Dish - Awake Enough

These and other fine, fine tracks can be heard on Comfort Radio - asking that musical question, "Who's gonna ride your wild horses???????" See you next week.

September 01, 2005

Skew

Low-fi cut-up artist Skew offers some tasty, experimental treats on the 2005 self-titled and apparently self-released album. This is definitely one of our YMMV entries. I like it because it makes my brain itch.

Skew - Wonder