« December 2004 | Main | February 2005 »

January 31, 2005

Oh oh oh lazy, you drive me crazy

Asian Dub Foundation has a new album coming out! OMG!!! I can't seem to get enough of ADF's "hard ragga-jungle rhythms, indo-dub basslines, searing sitar-inspired guitars and 'traditional' sounds gleaned from their parents' record collections, shot through with fast-chat conscious lyrics". Here's something neat about the new album: "Electronics and Programming Are Brought by Juno Reactor's Ben Watkins and Adam Wren (Sound Engineer to Leftfield)." Ah, sweet cut and paste, how I love you.

Asian Dub Foundation - Flyover
Asian Dub Foundation - Hope
Asian Dub Foundation - Powerlines

And here's an old ADF remix that I've meaning to find an excuse to post for a long time. Get more old freebies from ADF here.

Asian Dub Foundation - Free Satpal Ram (Primal Scream & Brendan Lynch mix)

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 28, 2005

Insane wonders

A few years ago at WOMAD, I witnessed a set by Kepa Junkera, introduced as "the world's greatest living accordian player". His set kicked ass, so much so that I dropped $50 on a 2-CD set that turned out to be relentlessly boring - "argh!" There was exactly one very excellent track worth salvaging - and here it is, in case you ever wondered what kind of music the world's greatest living accordian player saw fit to commit to record.

Kepa Junkera - Bok-Espok

Listening to a big backlog of Fluxblog tracks, I came across this insane wonder by Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - to be clear, Fluxblog posts insane wonders all the time, but this one really takes the cake. It is just about as perfect a slice of pop music as I have heard in a damn long time, and was so much fun that the first time I heard it was immediately followed by the second time I heard it. From the album Cartooom!

Plus-Tech Squeeze Box - The Martin Show!!

If you were really snazzy, you would immediately add this track to your next "I love you the mostest" compilation CD. At which point, you would most likely receive a very, very disturbed look. I think I first found this on Fluxblog, although Byron Bitchlaces posted it recently as well. From the 12" single.

Lopazz - I Need Ya

And finally, we saw Scissor Sisters again tonight at the Paramount, a vastly larger venue than last year's show at the Showbox. I was worried that seeing them in a much less intimate venue would be disappointing, but to my delight, they remained fucking excellent. The new material they've since incorporated into their set is really, really good; if tonight is any indication, their next album will be a scorcher. Here's a remix I picked up recently via silence is a rhythm too, a blog I've only been following for a short time, but one which I'm happy to place in the "so far, so good" category.

Scissor Sisters - Comfortably Numb (ATOC Dub Remix)

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 27, 2005

Dub-drenched downtempo

Because there's not enough dub-drenched downtempo in the world, please to enjoy these fine tracks from Sofa Surfers, re-released last year by Eighteenth Street Lounge. Dorfmeister and Thievery Corp. both contribute remixes on this album... but don't let that dissuade you from checking it out. From the album See The Light.

Sofa Surfers - Formula
Sofa Surfers - What Kind Of World
Sofa Surfers - See The Light

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 26, 2005

A hint of dissonant chaos

I first posted about Kat Cross in this blog's second week of existence; I stumbled across one of her tracks on Tricky's Back to Mine comp, and bemoaned the fact that I couldn't seem to find any additional info about her. A band mate of hers spotted the post, and put her in touch with me; Comfort Radio now has a copy of Kat's Work In Progress in rotation, and Comfort Music can offer you these snippets of what will hopefully be a forthcoming release. Part trip hop, part electropop, a hint of dissonant chaos... overall, a promising mix.

Kat Cross - Sink Into The Core
Kat Cross - Requiem For A Dub
Kat Cross - Inside / Outside

January 25, 2005

There's horns - must be ska

Today brings the first guest post of the year from Coe, who writes:

"I know that this blog is intended to introduce people to new music, and visitors have already heard one track by these guys, but it didn't fully capture the joy that is The Cat Empire. They're ska, if anything (there's horns - must be ska), but the tracks range all over - samba, jazz influences, and scratching abound. A line on their site says 'where jazz is played with dirty hands'. I defy you to sit perfectly still for 'Hello', and 'The Wine Song' has to be included, just for the lyrics." From the band's self-titled album.

The Cat Empire - Hello
The Cat Empire - The Wine Song

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 24, 2005

Just like mother used to make

Netlabel Thinner comes through again with some good old-fashioned ambient music from Digitalverein, "just like mother used to make... you know, back when mother went through her serious Pro Tools addiction." Nice cut-ups, an infusion of dub, and some sweet piano here and there make for a great release. From the 2004 album Changes. Get more netlabel freebies from Digitalverein here.

Digitalverein - Don't Make Me Cry Again
Digitalverein - Window And Figure, Space And Volume
Digitalverein - Origins And Evolution

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

January 21, 2005

Something for everyone

Netlabel Highlife Lowpoint Records released this compilation of ambient & IDM, Looking Back Ain't No Way Forward, featuring the following highlights. I've been hearing Psapp on KEXP a lot lately, so I was glad to pick up this little gem; The Apologist delivers a moody number that reminds me of one of Preston Klik's compositions; and Marshall Watson drops a sweet and simple slice of techno goodness. n.ln is also on this comp, but his track is so ambient that it is not safe for work, due to danger of excessive drowsiness.

Psapp - Scissory
The Apologist - Don't Forget Me
Marshall Watson - Daydream

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 20, 2005

Oh, is that what that smell is

Kat turned me on to these tracks - they're tangotastic! I'm still waiting for the tango version of the theme from Night Court... someday, someday. Get more freebies from the group here.

Mandragora Tango Orchestra - La Cumparsita (Tango Christ Superstar Mix)
Mandragora Tango Orchestra - Espíritu Adolescente (Smells Like Teen Spirit)

Kat also pointed me toward this wonderful guide to youth music. If you're in the dark about what all those crazy kids are listening to these days, please be sure to check this out; I found it very instructive and helpful.

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 19, 2005

It just stands to reason

Unusual techno from Hungarian animator and techno musician Gabor Csupo. IMDB claims he was an executive producer for The Simpsons at one point, and he's got a hell of a lot of Rugrats credits as well - all of which means that his techno music must inherently be good! Or something. From the 2003 album Kalmopyrin.

Gabor Csupo - Mary Goes Around
Gabor Csupo - Lemoncholy
Gabor Csupo - Pleasure Fahir

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

January 18, 2005

"Look at all the ugly people"

While guesting on Royal Music recently, I posted an Amon Tobin remix of a song by Foetus, which gave me cause to go back to the original studio version of that track for comparison. Turns out I had unfairly dismissed the original Foetus album as being too avant-garde industrial for my taste; certainly, half the album is over the top in that direction (and far weirder and more creative than the limited amount of industrial music I've been exposed to), but the other half of the album has some jazzy, funky, aggressive goodness to be found that's a bit more my speed. (Comfort Music trivia: The reason I do not like industrial music is that I am WEAK.) From the album Flow.

Foetus - Grace Of God
Foetus - Cirrhosis Of The Heart
Foetus - Someone Who Cares
Foetus - Heuldoch 7B

And in other news, the january '05 episode of my drug culture column eScottology has just been posted, asking that musical question, "when was the last time you played DUNGEONS & DEALERS?" Check it out here.

UPDATE: First link, which once was busted, now is fixed. Thanks Coe!

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

January 17, 2005

I got your sweet organ sounds right here

There's something surprisingly delicious about this low-fi electropop by German duo zweieKKenkreis, released by the netlabel Politicide. I think it's because the lyrics are in German, making it easy to imagine that the vocalist is singing very personal love songs JUST FOR ME. The beats are fairly simple, which normally turns me off in a netlabel release, but the magic here is in the charming vocals and the sweet organ sounds.

zweieKKenkreis - intro
zweieKKenkreis – blütenstaubromanze
zweieKKenkreis - ich wär so gern
zweieKKenkreis - milchsschaum der musik

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

January 14, 2005

I got your pasta cowboy right here

Last November, Ubiquity Records (the cats what brought you releases by Badmarsh, Bugs, Nobody, and John Beltran) put out this collection of old film and TV score tracks by studio musicians, Ubiquity Studio Sessions Vol. 1: Music And Rhythm, assembled by Shawn Lee. The premise was to go back to some old school "library music" - bed music that got peddled to film and TV - and put out the best of the best on a compilation aimed at the modern deejay. You may have run across Shawn Lee on Zero 7's Back To Mine, or on Vikter Duplaix's DJ Kicks - or at the grocery store, really, I mean how the fuck should I know. But anyway, the concept is pretty zany at heart, the idea that this library music is now potentially surfacing on dance floors or in chill rooms... or on obscure music blogs, for that matter.

Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Bollywood
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Swamp Samba
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Pasta Cowboy
Shawn Lee's Ping Pong Orchestra - Psychedelic Sambai

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

January 13, 2005

On his way to a cease and desist

Quirky indietronica from commercial-composer-turned-electronica-producer, Scientific American. From the December 2004 album Strong For The Future, released by Mush Records (the cats what also brought you releases by Boom Bip, Busdriver, Her Space Holiday, Aesop Rock, Clue to Kalo, Daedelus, "and more!").

Scientific American - Drift In Place
Scientific American - Strong For The Future
Scientific American - The Seas Are The Skies

Thanks to Sleepy for the M-Th hook up this week. You are keeping the world safe for freedom.

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 12, 2005

Good, and good for you

Boom Bip has a new album coming out, Blue Eyed in the Red Room, in February. I haven't heard much of his older stuff, so I can't provide a comparison, but I like the vibe of this album a lot - creative, mostly downtempo electronica with some nice live instrumentation. If you don't recognize the name Gruff Rhys, he sings with Super Furry Animals; Nina Nastasia is also on the album. Get more freebies from the Bipster here.

Boom Bip - Cimple
Boom Bip - Dos and Donts (feat. Gruff Rhys)
Boom Bip - Aplomb

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 11, 2005

"I want another song about ducks!"

If you're like me, you've been eagerly awaiting the new Lemon Jelly album, 64-95, for months. (Of course, if you're like me, you've also been experiencing long periods of blacking out and then waking up covered in pig's blood, but.) The album comes out January 25, and while it may not satisfy in the "I want another song about ducks!" department, it still has a few treats. It suffers by comparison to Lost Horizons, due to the fact that Lost Horizons was essentially a perfect album, and most acts don't manage to do that more than once (see exceptions colon Massive Attack). But you don't go to war with the Lemon Jelly you might want to have, etc.

Lemon Jelly - Don't Stop Now
Lemon Jelly - The Slow Train
Lemon Jelly - A Man Like Me

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (2) | TrackBack

January 10, 2005

It's like chocolate and ketchup

Amon Tobin is making video game music now. He's showing up on the soundtrack to The Getaway: Black Monday, and it kind of frightens me to say this - he's releasing a soundtrack to Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory, due out from Ninja Tune on January 25. I'm sure the game is nifty and all; I just get a severe case of cognitive dissonance having to connect the names "Amon Tobin" and "Tom Clancy".

Amon Tobin - The Lighthouse
Amon Tobin - El Cargo

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 07, 2005

It's just like yesterday around here

This got Boing Boinged many months ago, but Ethan mentioned he hadn't heard it yet, and since one of the underlying tenets of Comfort Music is to consistently remain months if not years behind anything resembling any kind of hip cultural phenomenon, here it is. It's, uh, a techno version of "Man Of Constant Sorrow", if, you know, you missed it earlier.

Skeewiff - O Skeewiff Where Art Thou?

Actually, as long as we're hanging out in the wayback machine, Todd mentioned he'd never heard the original version of a song my acappella group covered, so here that is as well. It's from the soundtrack to the excellent Monkees movie Head, which is a demented post-modern masterpiece if there ever was one. Its theme is a beautiful, beautiful song, despite having lyrics that are so psychedelic as to be almost nonsensical.

The Monkees - Porpoise Song (Theme From Head)

And this came on the station the other day, reminding me that it's possible there are people on the planet who haven't heard it yet - a situation that must be rectified. The premise: Björk and metal band Skunk Anansie team up to create a rock version of "Army of Me". The results: ass-kicking. I mean, seriously - you just think you've heard Björk scream until you hear this. From various Army Of Me singles.

Björk - Army Of Me (feat. Skunk Anansie)

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (1) | TrackBack

January 06, 2005

No really

This is leftover from my "the shit I wasted my money on the other night because I was depressed" theme from a couple weeks ago. I was just so depressed that I couldn't fit everything into one week, what can I say. (I'm over it now, but thanks for all the cards and letters. No really.) The Dresden Dolls were all over the blogosphere last year, but for some reason I waited until I was massively depressed to buy the CD - a mistake, considering my general appetite for insane, melodramatic, cabaret-style rock and roll. From the band's 2003 self-titled debut.

The Dresden Dolls - Gravity
The Dresden Dolls - Girl Anachronism
The Dresden Dolls - Missed Me
The Dresden Dolls - Truce

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 05, 2005

"Everybody samba!"

Ruisort is a Mexican downtempo artist whose 2002 album, Acapulco Now!, is a strange experience - clean yet cluttered, funky yet mechanical. It's nice to hear samba flavoring pulled into otherwise robotic mixes - but then, it's almost always nice to hear samba flavoring, if you ask me. Certificate 18 is the label; they refer to Ruisort on their site as "Mexico's answer to Kruder & Dorfmeister". K&D aren't really a question that needed answering, but I won't hold that against the guy.

Ruisort - Dios Mono (When I Made God, I Didn't Make A Monkey Man)
Ruisort - Ipanema 5-0
Ruisort - And I Love Her

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (0) | TrackBack

January 04, 2005

Short 'n sweet

Here's a great little techno release from the netlabel Alpinechic. "Dreamcatcher" is driving and melodic, yet appropriately ethereal; "E-22" is cool and mechanical; "Killa India" adds a dark tension to the mix. From the six-song EP E-22.

Freiraum - Dreamcatcher
Freiraum - E-22
Freiraum - Killa India

In other news, Sleepy passed on this link from Filepile, a fairly demented, not entirely SFW animation starring, uh, Darth Vader. If the idea of hearing the Lord of the Sith rap the words "I feel a strange disturbance in my ass" sounds appealing to you, click away.

January 03, 2005

Whet your appetite

Aurgasm is a fine little corner of the MP3J scene, run by a chap who goes by the moniker Paul Irish; it's the first time in quite a while I discovered a new blog (in this case, by way of his helpfully posting a URL in a comment), dug through a couple weeks worth of his backlog, and liked virtually every song I downloaded... there's a lot of good hip hop, downtempo, bleepy bloopy and miscellaneous eclectic stuff to be had. Here's a few Aurgasm selections (Aurgasms?) to whet your appetite, presented without comment to encourage you to wander over to Aurgasm if you need more data.

Diplo - Summer's Gonna Hurt You, from the album Florida
Aqualung - Strange And Beautiful, from the album Aqualung
ILS - No Soul, from the album Soul Trader
Venus Hum - Soul Sloshing, from the album Big Beautiful Sky

I've had this post in the hopper waiting for an opportune moment to schedule it. Then last week, he posted a Funkstörung track mere days before I was to post Funkstörung tracks, and the week before that, he posted a couple Telefon Tel Aviv tracks mere days before I was to post TTA tracks. Coincidence... OR IS IT????

In other news, I've started following a new blog focused on interesting Brazilian music: an order of progress and a side of fries, run by a chap who goes by the alias Acid Cowboy. 'Nuff said.

Posted by Scotto at 09:00 AM | Comments (1) | TrackBack